Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2020, 11:16 AM

524 posts, read 322,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Haha. We don't require them to wear gloves. My thing was I am not being handed a credit card in today's world from your bare hands. I have no idea ,virus or not, where your hands were. Under normal transactions, we have a credit card machine in our closed retail room that is the same as when you go to a grocery store. We never touch a card. That is why ,until the room is ready again, we have customers call in and do the transaction over the phone. Hope that clarifies.
Gloves are not magically free of any germs. They could have put the gloves on wiped their nose without changing their gloves and then handed you a card and it's no different if it was their bare hands. I'm of the opinion gloves can be worse because you can't feel when your hands are dirty. I know when my hands feel dirty so I can wash them, with me gloves I am not as cognizant to how dirty they are.

One of my favorite principles is the Locard Exchange Principle. Which can be paraphrased into, when two items come into contact there will be an exchange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 11:41 AM

508 posts, read 340,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Maybe it's more of a "urban vs. suburban" think in both states, the NY park I went to on Saturday was urban, the one I went to last weekend was suburbanish, but it was a week ago and maybe the percentages wearing changed there too
I don’t know because I live in downtown Hartford (urban) and spend plenty of time in the suburbs and across the board, people are wearing masks in this area. It’s all anecdotal of course, but from what I’ve seen in greater Hartford, most are wearing masks. Northeastern CT is the one region I’ve seen so far that has been slow to adopt the mask wearing.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:00 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,184,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
Gloves are not magically free of any germs. They could have put the gloves on wiped their nose without changing their gloves and then handed you a card and it's no different if it was their bare hands.
Agreed. But me personally will not be touching it. Or shaking anyone's hand. I am not a germophobe so don't take that the wrong way. After I had a bad flu in December, I stopped shaking hands or touching credit cards for example. But back to topic.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:52 PM

11,247 posts, read 18,733,326 times
Cuomo said they randomly tested 50,000 New Yorkers yesterday and only 2% tested positive. Then there's this. Not sure I believe it yet though I don't think it's impossible. WHO just came out with a statement saying it's garbage, in the sense that it's like wildfire in Latin America now I agree but I guess time will tell:

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Old 06-01-2020, 01:05 PM

21,504 posts, read 27,753,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Cuomo said they randomly tested 50,000 New Yorkers yesterday and only 2% tested positive. Then there's this. Not sure I believe it yet though I don't think it's impossible. WHO just came out with a statement saying it's garbage, in the sense that it's like wildfire in Latin America now I agree but I guess time will tell:

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen
Viruses do tend to weaken as they spread.

Jury's out on his statement. Would need more proof, peer reviewed study, etc.

But I also don't trust the WHO on anything anymore.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:05 PM

9,785 posts, read 7,051,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Agreed. But me personally will not be touching it. Or shaking anyone's hand. I am not a germophobe so don't take that the wrong way. After I had a bad flu in December, I stopped shaking hands or touching credit cards for example. But back to topic.
Time for your store to get a Venmo account - that's what all the kids use. It's also what many small retailers I deal with are now using - my barber, wife's stylist, dog walker, etc.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:13 PM

21,504 posts, read 27,753,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
Gloves are not magically free of any germs. They could have put the gloves on wiped their nose without changing their gloves and then handed you a card and it's no different if it was their bare hands. I'm of the opinion gloves can be worse because you can't feel when your hands are dirty. I know when my hands feel dirty so I can wash them, with me gloves I am not as cognizant to how dirty they are.

One of my favorite principles is the Locard Exchange Principle. Which can be paraphrased into, when two items come into contact there will be an exchange.
Yes, in some cases, gloves can be worse as they provide a false sense of security and just become another layer of dirty skin.

Someone else wearing gloves should not necessarily provide any comfort.

If handling credit cards, best thing to do is just wash your hands before you touch your face.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:45 PM

11,247 posts, read 18,733,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Viruses do tend to weaken as they spread.

Jury's out on his statement. Would need more proof, peer reviewed study, etc.

But I also don't trust the WHO on anything anymore.

I'm equally torn on this for all the same reasons....

Old 06-01-2020, 09:50 PM

496 posts, read 440,810 times
I thought about wearing gloves at first, but it really is better IMO just to wash hands frequently and use sanitizer. As you said gloves can just spread the germs to the face as well as bare hands, and also you can't get the virus through the skin anyway. So I say just wash your hands after handling money, CCs, etc and when you get home from work.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:54 PM

496 posts, read 440,810 times
In virus news I just heard of two cases in another county. A couple got the virus. The wife worked in the hospital and likely caught it there. Then the husband got it. She was very, very ill, almost thought she wasn't going to make it. They ended up giving her a blood transfusion with the antibodies, and she was better by the next day! The husband however only had a fever for a short time and that was the extent of his symptoms. My thought is she probably had a high viral load from the hospital whereas for him it was much lower. Both are fine now, but did test positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut