Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2020, 12:16 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That's just not true though.

NY with a population of 8.4 million had a death rate of about 800 per day at the peak.

Florida with a population of 21.48 million has daily deaths of just under 100 right now.

Adjusting for population, that was 20 times higher daily deaths at NY's peak than Florida right now. Let's hope it never gets anywhere near that, and let's hope the elderly, immunocompromised, and care homes in Florida are better protected, along with newer and better treatments.

Facts and statistics matter.
Of course the rate in Florida is lower. It should be. The problem in New York was it was caught off guard by the virus. By the time the Trump administration admitted this was a very serious problem, the virus was here and raging through the population. The problem is, the rate should be much lower given what we know today. And it’s not just in Florida. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 12:44 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Of course the rate in Florida is lower. It should be. The problem in New York was it was caught off guard by the virus. By the time the Trump administration admitted this was a very serious problem, the virus was here and raging through the population. The problem is, the rate should be much lower given what we know today. And it’s not just in Florida. Jay
Eh. That is what the media wants you to believe. The virus moves in clusters and greater NYC was just the entry point. Like I said earlier, one could successfully argue that FL, CA, TX etc locked down too early in April.

I do think other major cities are going to see what’s NYC saw, and I do not think anyone can prevent it from happening.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 07-11-2020 at 12:58 PM..

Old 07-11-2020, 01:09 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That’s not what I said. The poster said FL is reopening Disney. That is not the case. Again, Disney is reopening Disney.
I was responding to your last sentence. "They are a private company and certainly reserve the right to do so". Maybe you meant to say they reserve the right to open as long as the FL Governor allows them to?

Last edited by ryanthegoldengod; 07-11-2020 at 01:17 PM..

Old 07-11-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
I was responding to your last sentence. "They are a private company and certainly reserve the right to do so". Maybe you meant to say they reserve the right to open as long as the FL Governor allows them to?
I’m not getting into a nitpicking contest with you. The previous poster stated FL was allowing Disney to open. FL is not specifically allowing Disney to open - they reopened their economy so, obviously, they aren’t seeing a police state push back against it. Disney is a private company and has made the decision to reopen, just as they made the decision - on their own - to shut down prior to the state’s order. The decision to open Disney, and Disney only, was directly made by them, and not the government.

Old 07-11-2020, 03:24 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Well, if it were simply that FL doesn't and Disney does FL would be pressuring them. I'm sure if Cuomo or Lamont were their governor they'd at the very least be having much stricter requirements for them to open. Ironically when it opens the only Disney park worldwide that will still be closed will be the original Disneyland itself in CA.
And many little kids are going to be disappointed as none of the character actors will be there. Disney rescinded the return to work order when the Actors Equity union asked for regular testing of the actors who won't be able to wear masks or maintain social distance while doing their jobs.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:31 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:

NY with a population of 19.45 million had a death rate of about 800 per day at the peak.

Florida with a population of 21.48 million has daily deaths of just under 100 right now.

So, that was over 8 times higher daily deaths at NY's peak than Florida right now. Even worse in NYC proper. Let's hope it never gets anywhere near that, and let's hope the elderly, immunocompromised, and care homes in Florida are better protected, along with newer and better treatments.

Edit: Math correction.
Excellent post. Hyperbole a/k/a journalism are using percentages ONLY w/o underling quantities-to mask far milder covid fatality rates outside of the NYC metro region, which was the epicenter.

As long as no one is dumb enough to emulate Cuomo with his "lets send covid infected back to nursing homes", no other region will even approach NY fatality rates via covid.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:21 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,716 times
Lets hope deaths stay low... they are starting to creep up a little though. I moved to the keys and we had been keeping to 20 or so new infections daily for the last week or two, we had 75 in the last 24 hours... small for sure, but not something you want to hear (exponential growth)!!

Old 07-12-2020, 09:52 AM

496 posts, read 445,845 times
If you look at the 7 day rolling averages, deaths have went up quite a bit. But It think it was highly likely given the number of new cases. How high does it go? Hopefully not as high as March, but we'll see.

Still remains to see whether there will be a second wave in the fall... I suspect there probably will be. I really think part of the reason we are seeing such lower case numbers was due to the dryer, warmer weather. Not the same everywhere, but regional differences play into it too, I think.

Been doing a lot of reading since last night. Strange how I'm getting such mixed information. On one hand you have some doctors and scientists saying we've done way too much for this virus - shutting down the world, so many precautions, etc was unnecessary, and we won't need a vaccine. I don't agree with that line of thinking completely, but think parts are true.

On the other hand you have people on the opposite viewpoint, saying this virus is probably never going away, with the short immunity and likely seasonal nature given it's a coronavirus.

A lot of people already seem to be advocating for a complete change in society. No in person learning, no brick and mortar stores, no sports, no in person entertainment, no to little dining out. Redesign all buildings so basically I guess we just stay at home forever to work or be entertained, then if we do HAVE to go out make sure it's designed so we're all in our own sectioned off area. No to very little contact with the outside world.

To me that lifestyle is so dystopian, it doesn't even seem like it's worth living. Maybe I'd get used to it, but it sure doesn't sound healthy. It's bad enough that we as a society spend so much time socializing online and many don't understand or have the skills to talk to people in person. I have issues with this too.

At the same time, I find that hard to believe that this virus would have such lasting effects for decades, if not forever. We've talked about it weakening, and I think that would be the likely scenario.

Were there people, do you think in 1918 that were saying such things? I wonder if any of them thought they'd be staying home forever?

Anyway, I've gotten way off topic. But just something I've been thinking about on this virus. Does anyone else see us really living that way in the future? Is it concerning? What about all this talk about the next pandemic coming soon?

Old 07-12-2020, 09:57 AM

496 posts, read 445,845 times
Quote:

NY with a population of 19.45 million had a death rate of about 800 per day at the peak.

So, that was over 8 times higher daily deaths at NY's peak than Florida right now. Even worse in NYC proper. Let's hope it never gets anywhere near that, and let's hope the elderly, immunocompromised, and care homes in Florida are better protected, along with newer and better treatments.

Edit: Math correction.
We'll see, too early to tell how bad it will get. There's also the fact that NYC went on lockdown in the midst of it, remains to be seen if that happens in FL. I don't know how big a difference that would make, given even a lockdown right now could take over a month to show a slowing of infections.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:02 AM

I do have a concern about the testing that’s going on, which - if actually being done - makes the cases significantly rise. Apparently, people who have tested positive are getting tested multiple times as required by their employer to return to work. Some are testing positive multiple times and, when that’s the case, are they being counted in the case numbers? If so, the new numbers are faulty.

An old college acquaintance works for the Broward County Health Department in south FL and I reached out to him for clarification. I’ll post here when I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut