Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2020, 08:30 AM

11,242 posts, read 18,717,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shartnado42 View Post
The areas in NYC its creeping up are Hasidic Jewish neighborhoods, i doubt that is creeping up into CT.

I was hesitating to bring that up because I didn't want it put the wrong way or say it in a way that I get a C-D warning, but 3 of the 6 neighborhoods in NYC and one of the hotspots in NJ are Hasidic enclaves and they were warned not to do the usual large gatherings for the High Holidays (in Israel, which now has the highest daily new case rate in the world, to put in perspective in the US it would be the equivalent of having 200K new cases/day (i.e. they have 7K/day in a country of 10 million), they have basically banned all non-virtual activities of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur and told people they must stay home and are battling the Hasidim on this). One of the enclaves in Rockland County, NY is starting to creep up too.
There is that one enclave in Waterbury to watch for.....

My theory on the other neighborhoods are large party gatherings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 09:19 AM

21,487 posts, read 27,723,916 times
DiBlasio has some awkward run ins with those communities even before Covid.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:40 AM

11,242 posts, read 18,717,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
DiBlasio has some awkward run ins with those communities even before Covid.

Looks like yesterday both DiBlasio and Cuomo finally said it's mostly those communities that are having the spikes.....

Old 09-30-2020, 08:31 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,182,155 times
Anyone see this? If it is true then it looks like masks for a long time......at least another year and that's if a vaccine even works.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/23/cdc-...ronavirus.html

Old 09-30-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Anyone see this? If it is true then it looks like masks for a long time......at least another year and that's if a vaccine even works.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/23/cdc-...ronavirus.html
Yes, and based on a lot of research I’ve seen, I heavily question it.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:09 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,182,155 times
Quote:
Really? I hope you are correct. What have you seen?

Old 09-30-2020, 10:50 AM

3,430 posts, read 3,902,781 times
Quote:
Agreed. Considering the unknowns around immunity to Covid and how its acquired, I don't understand how anyone can make a definitive statement like this in good conscience. Especially when the CDC itself say that cases are underreported by 10x or more.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:55 AM

684 posts, read 384,028 times
I've come to my own conclusion that no one knows what they're talking about. Not Fauci, not the CDC, not Trump (especially), not the WHO, no one. I'll just continue to wear my mask inside a store and b**ch and moan every day about what life has become these past 6/7 months.

All I know is that the Chinese economy is rebounding strongly and that alone makes me question everything.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:52 AM

26,635 posts, read 28,427,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTableKnight View Post
I've come to my own conclusion that no one knows what they're talking about. Not Fauci, not the CDC, not Trump (especially), not the WHO, no one. I'll just continue to wear my mask inside a store and b**ch and moan every day about what life has become these past 6/7 months.

All I know is that the Chinese economy is rebounding strongly and that alone makes me question everything.
Nearly true. Nobody knows that much. But the Chinese economy is rebounding because people were locked inside their apartments if they had COVID and probably some were killed. Those who were out and about always wear masks. That's how they got their numbers down. If people in this country would just wear masks and social distance, we could probably re-open everything.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Really? I hope you are correct. What have you seen?
Where do I begin? There's LOTS of indication that this will sputter out before "90%" of the remaining population is infected. There's dozens of studies around:

1. Long lasting t-cell immunity
2. POSSIBLE cross protection from other coronavirus exposure (it's really telling that Fauci backed this theory until Rand Paul and Scott Atlas backed it: https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/cor...244852012.html)
3. Antibody seroprevalence studies not showing true immunity. Antibodies wane too fast. So any moment in time will never show the true spread. A Japanese study followed the same people throughout a period and found a huge number eventually developed antibodies. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....21.20198796v1
4. Just in general, no pandemic in history has infected anywhere near 90% of the population before sputtering out. Typically in the 15-25% range. There's this media obsession with it being a "novel" virus. Yes, it's a new strain of coronavirus of which there are many, but every flu pandemic was a new strain too. This isn't the first time something has spread that we have not seen before. There's been several studies looking at heterogeneity in susceptibility.
5. The obsession with testing and cases right now is making it seem like the problem is worse than it really is. Oversensitive 40 ct tests have an unacceptable level of false positive. Never in history have we put asymptomatic cases under such a microscope, testing people constantly without symptoms. This muddies everything, including hospitalizations and deaths. At least Belgium has changed their policy on this. Hopefully more do, but with the current political climate in the US–good luck with that.
6. Again, when you put things under a microscope they always look scarier.

There's a disturbing amount of experts on Twitter that seem very politically motivated to make this worse than it really is. Half their Tweets are done in anger at Trump, even pre-pandemic. I am not a Trump guy, but I wish politics didn't have such a heavy hand on this crisis. It's really sad.

I think there's also a little bit of, if we don't keep people on their feet, we'll all go back to normal and it'll be a mess from the CDC. Versus a Sweden where the populace trusts the government, and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut