Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2021, 11:51 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I have been struggling lately to figure out just how everything is going to go as people get vaccinated. I am the manager in my dept.....3 of my staff got their 1st dose last week.....Im getting mine Sunday......As for the remaining staff,One guy refuses to get a vaccine and the other 2 "think" they want to get it but have done nothing to schedule. That's just my staff. In the shop only 1 out of 12 techs got the 1st dose.......the remaining 11 all say they wont. Lot's of misinformation and conspiracy theories going on there. That's just 2 depts in my place. If some of us are vaccinated and most others are not, how are we going to know when it is "safe" to unmask? What happens in a grocery store setting if say only half get the vaccine? Offices? Walmarts?

I hate wearing the mask, but I do it for reasons I have said many times on here.....buy man I can't wait to not have to wear one. I hate covid......

I was also getting a little nervous about the vaccines being effective against the new variants......I found this link and I really hope there is some real truth to it.....but can you imagine if we came all this way and the vaccines don't give us that herd immunity they keep shooting for? I think the more people we vaccinate, the less chance to mutate but this really is a very close race.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/health/cor...-vaccinations/
https://covidactnow.org/us/connecticut-ct/?s=1703627

31% of the entire state vaccinated so far and that will rapidly increase in April. Plus at least 30% of the state has had the virus already.

It'll be ok.

By the way, IF a variant emerged that the vaccine is useless against (seems unlikey), the makers have said they can make adjustments fairly quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 12:04 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

By the way, IF a variant emerged that the vaccine is useless against (seems unlikey), the makers have said they can make adjustments fairly quickly.
Yes.....and no......Yes, they can make a booster shot but they (Pfizer and Moderna) also said then it would go through up to 6 months of clinical trials/approval first. A lot of spread/illness/death can happen in 6 months. I don't think it will play out that way and am hopeful with your first part of the post. But I do wonder how businesses are going to move forward regarding safety and interactions. We are a large auto group corp and we are just starting to discuss this very subject.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:30 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:

31% of the entire state vaccinated so far and that will rapidly increase in April. Plus at least 30% of the state has had the virus already.

It'll be ok.

and then what happens after that? we get another variant, and then another, and then another
by the end of the year we'll be up to 7 waves and 4 variants

Old 03-25-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
and then what happens after that? we get another variant, and then another, and then another
I was thinking the same thing as well. I guess the faster you can get people vaccinated, the less chances of variants emerging. Vaccinating on this scale is a huge ,huge undertaking. The hours, the manpower , the distribution. I can't even imagine how much money is being spent.

Also keep in mind, other countries have to get their populations vaccinated too in order for this to really get under control.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:47 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing as well. I guess the faster you can get people vaccinated, the less chances of variants emerging. Vaccinating on this scale is a huge ,huge undertaking. The hours, the manpower , the distribution. I can't even imagine how much money is being spent.

Also keep in mind, other countries have to get their populations vaccinated too in order for this to really get under control.
Think he was being sarcastic.

As I keep saying.

It'll be ok.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:24 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:

The President just upped the goal to 200M vaccinated by the end of April. Currently 2.5M daily. Incredible. What an accomplishment! Great job by both administrations in getting this expedited. We'll be opening up fully in no time. No sarcasm this time.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:46 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
I have been struggling lately to figure out just how everything is going to go as people get vaccinated. I am the manager in my dept.....3 of my staff got their 1st dose last week.....Im getting mine Sunday......As for the remaining staff,One guy refuses to get a vaccine and the other 2 "think" they want to get it but have done nothing to schedule. That's just my staff. In the shop only 1 out of 12 techs got the 1st dose.......the remaining 11 all say they wont. Lot's of misinformation and conspiracy theories going on there. That's just 2 depts in my place. If some of us are vaccinated and most others are not, how are we going to know when it is "safe" to unmask? What happens in a grocery store setting if say only half get the vaccine? Offices? Walmarts?

I hate wearing the mask, but I do it for reasons I have said many times on here.....buy man I can't wait to not have to wear one. I hate covid......

I was also getting a little nervous about the vaccines being effective against the new variants......I found this link and I really hope there is some real truth to it.....but can you imagine if we came all this way and the vaccines don't give us that herd immunity they keep shooting for? I think the more people we vaccinate, the less chance to mutate but this really is a very close race.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/health/cor...-vaccinations/

I have a friend who refuses the vaccine. Her attitude is "it's my personal choice and we should lift the masking and restrictions regardless because if vaccines are supposed to prevent you from getting sick then I am taking the risk and I get sick and all the people getting vaccinated will be fine".

Quote:

It'll be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post

I believe it, that's how annual flu shots work, which is why having constant variants is OK. Happens with flu too.

Quote:
Yes.....and no......Yes, they can make a booster shot but they (Pfizer and Moderna) also said then it would go through up to 6 months of clinical trials/approval first. A lot of spread/illness/death can happen in 6 months. I don't think it will play out that way and am hopeful with your first part of the post. But I do wonder how businesses are going to move forward regarding safety and interactions. We are a large auto group corp and we are just starting to discuss this very subject.
As vaccines for COVID are more and more effective, they'll waive the 6 months of trials requirement. Otherwise flu shots would never work, they have to be updated just as often.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Think he was being sarcastic.

As I keep saying.

It'll be ok.
Oh.....went right over my head. Haha.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:07 PM

56 posts, read 24,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Vaccination doesn't give you 100% immunity. In the trials for the mRNA vaccines, 5% showed symptomatic infection. There is no good data on the percent who develop asymptomatic infection.
This is not quite accurate. In the Pfizer trial, out of a total of about 36,000 people (half got vaccine, half got placebo), 8 of the vaccinated group got symptomatic covid, while 162 of the placebo recipients got symptomatic covid. Efficacy is calculated as 162-8 divided by 162 = 95%.

But it is clearly true from this that vaccinated people can get symptomatic disease. We have seen some at my hospital, and will become more common the more people are vaccinated. None to my knowledge have died.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:35 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
https://www.ctpost.com/news/coronavi...e-16053536.php

Hi CT friends. Work in CT, live in NY. Would this apply to me? Am i eligible starting 4/1 also or do I have to live in CT? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut