Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2021, 07:11 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
This was your post in Jan 2020. 18 months later and it’s clear from many of your posts you have not learned much. All the damn media making this a bigger deal than it is
That post has been discussed as this thread evolved, which I’m guessing you missed. In Jan. 2020, most in America believed it wasn’t a big thread - even JayCT noted the state of CT had no idea what was happening. Hindsight is always 20/20 - never forget that.

That being said, in Aug. 2021, so I still believe the media is hyping and sensationalizing this? You betcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 07:14 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That post has been discussed as this thread evolved, which I’m guessing you missed. In Jan. 2020, most in America believed it wasn’t a big thread - even JayCT noted the state of CT had no idea what was happening. Hindsight is always 20/20 - never forget that.

That being said, in Aug. 2021, so I still believe the media is hyping and sensationalizing this? You betcha.
What else is there for media to focus on? Florida condo story is over, and Cuomo will not be forced out for a few weeks yet.

That is why they press the variant story for dear life. Ratings issues.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Oh please, there are people that had to wear masks for 8 hour work shifts while most of us lucky people got to work at home. Putting on your mask for 15 minutes to go into a store and shop around and whining about it is pretty ridiculous.
I mainly shop via Amazon now. I do not wear a mask to get my package off my stoop. Win-win.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:33 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
What else is there for media to focus on? Florida condo story is over, and Cuomo will not be forced out for a few weeks yet.

That is why they press the variant story for dear life. Ratings issues.
Of course. It’s astonishing that many people can’t see this.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:06 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
You guys are in the minority if you want to boycott New Haven businesses because of wearing a mask, something we all did for many months and is not a big deal.
I was 100% compliant with masks for over a year. I even wore an N95 in the beginning when very few had masks on.

I got the shot. I even gave businesses time to get comfortable dropping the mask requirements right after the CDC stopped recommending indoor masks.

Now? Never again unless I'm on a plane or train. Sorry. That's what the vaccine is for.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:30 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Too bad the vaccine is wearing off. They said it would be good for around six months and for older people who got it early on, the six months are just about up. So they are almost like unvaccinated people. As the months go by, more vaccinations will wear off so I don't know what will happen. Older people will probably get a booster shot just like they are doing in the UK, Germany, Israel, I think. In the UK they had endured the Delta virus and are talking as though it's all over and now they are free. I'm not so sure. We need more treatments for when the vaccines fail. This whole thing is a nightmare of unknowns.

My vaccine is probably nearly worn off so I am wearing a mask in stores and I am grateful to see that practically everyone else around here is masked too. Not a big deal to wear a mask and when we are facing the unknown, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:37 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I was 100% compliant with masks for over a year. I even wore an N95 in the beginning when very few had masks on.

I got the shot. I even gave businesses time to get comfortable dropping the mask requirements right after the CDC stopped recommending indoor masks.

Now? Never again unless I'm on a plane or train. Sorry. That's what the vaccine is for.
I have to say I am shocked at your out and out resistance to wearing a mask. You said there was no proof that masks worked to help stop the spread of the virus and brownedbits gave you a link to 49 studies that show that they do. The Mayo Clinic, the No. 1 medical facility in the country says it does. Every major medical institution says they help. Every doctor I know says they help. Even worldwide masks are accepted as a key part of stopping the spread of the virus. Are they ALL wrong? Are they ALL in on some big conspiracy?

Now you are ready to stop going to New Haven because the city is requiring mask wearing in public places. Is wearing a mask really that difficult? Isn’t the added protection worth a little discomfort?

Let’s be a bit reasonable here. We are facing a new variant of the virus that we don’t fully understand yet. We are learning more each day but that’s far from fully knowing how bad it is. Why take a chance? You might as well not be vaccinated with that attitude really.

It is of course your decision on this, just like anyone else but as a friend I would strongly suggest for your sake and the sake of your family that you reconsider your position. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 08-09-2021 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Added last line

Old 08-09-2021, 08:41 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Too bad the vaccine is wearing off. They said it would be good for around six months and for older people who got it early on, the six months are just about up. So they are almost like unvaccinated people. As the months go by, more vaccinations will wear off so I don't know what will happen. Older people will probably get a booster shot just like they are doing in the UK, Germany, Israel, I think. In the UK they had endured the Delta virus and are talking as though it's all over and now they are free. I'm not so sure. We need more treatments for when the vaccines fail. This whole thing is a nightmare of unknowns.
Well said. The Delta is (apparently) like a whole new disease.

I just don't get it. All last year, we had masking and shutdowns as a bridge till vaccines were available. Given that, you'd think people would've been chomping at the bit to get a vaccine for themselves, so that we'd never have to deal with masking or shutdowns again. Instead, we're stuck with 50% of the eligible population who are incapable of logical thinking, blowing it for the rest of us, not to mention costing 500 avoidable deaths/day. Again, the rest of the world must be laughing at us...or more like crying, because they'd literally give their right arms to have access to our vaccines.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

I agree, I ate out today at a restaurant and did not wear a mask. Shopped briefly, again w/o a mask. I am vaccinated, and while there may be a booster up the road, there have been no reports indicating resistance drops to 0% after 6 months.

I will wear a mask, if I must go to the office, on the train and in the NYC office. Otherwise I will not. If a store, restaurant, bar requires it, I will not shop or dine there. Permanently.

If there are any restrictions at the Milford Oyster Festival, I will not attend. If there are not, I will end up going and buying some arts and crafts, and likely go To Stonebridge afterwards.

We ALL have personal choices to make on this issue, and I respect your right to do so.

No matter what you decide.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:14 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have to say I am shocked at your out and out resistance to wearing a mask. You said there was no proof that masks worked to help stop the spread of the virus and brownedbits gave you a link to 49 studies that show that they do. The Mayo Clinic, the No. 1 medical facility in the country says it does. Every major medical institution says they help. Every doctor I know says they help. Even worldwide masks are accepted as a key part of stopping the spread of the virus. Are they ALL wrong? Are they ALL in on some big conspiracy?

Now you are ready to stop going to New Haven because the city is requiring mask wearing in public places. Is wearing a mask really that difficult? Isn’t the added protection worth a little discomfort?

Let’s be a bit reasonable here. We are facing a new variant of the virus that we don’t fully understand yet. We are learning more each day but that’s far from fully knowing how bad it is. Why take a chance? You might as well not be vaccinated with that attitude really.

It is of course your decision on this, just like anyone else but as a friend I would strongly suggest for your sake and the sake of your family that you reconsider your position. Jay
To be clear, I do think masks do something to prevent spread in certain environments. Specifically they limit spread from the wearer. Unless it's an N95 or equivalent, protection is nil.

However, my point was that mask mandate or not, most communities have had the same exact outcome over time. Meaning, the virus has found a way almost everywhere in the US. Super liberal cities, to denialist red states. That says to me that masks have been minimally effective in the grand scheme, despite working in certain environments. They had their place. Sans vaccine, I was 100% compliant. I even avoided indoor dining for a whole year, because I worried about getting my parents sick.

These outcomes did not change until the vaccines. I feel like we've all lost the plot a bit with this Delta variant ripping through the unvaccinated (and some vaccinated). CT's numbers are still excellent as far as hospitalizations and deaths. We're down to .6 daily deaths in a state of 3 million. And they should be, we have just about 80% of our 18+ population fully vaccinated.

The CDC Provincetown study that ignited indoor masking again was conducted during Bear Week, which is not representative of normal everyday life for most, and has put unnecessary doubt on the vaccines.

New Haven has a bigger issue, which is their vaccination numbers stink. I think they should focus on that, instead of masking. They don't look so good compared to us surrounding suburbs in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut