Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2021, 05:58 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Hartford, Norwalk, Stamford, Bridgeport-all have the indoor mask mandate back.

Economy (particular nightlife based including amphitheater): Brace for Impact. Stylo is more representative than many give him credit for, regarding cutting back on socializing amidst heavy restrictions IMO. I recall how dead area restaurants were last year. Lately I was delighted to see big crowds every weekend at Stonebridge Restaurant enjoying live music outside--very crowded environment. Much needed business shot in the arm.

So far, Milford has resisted the urge wisely. My hunch is, if done in next 10 days, the Oyster Festival crowd tanks dramatically, and arts and crafts booths do worst than they have in decades. The event is a much needed economic shot in the arm after the last 17 months.

a 7 day daily average of 1 Ct death a day does not merit monstrous restrictions IMO. We average 75% of that in Connecticut car accident deaths annually. I assume driving will still be allowed. I agree with following the numbers, but they do not warrant IMHO giant spikes in regulations yet-not even close. Cases are up, but serious cases are not unmanageable.

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/...te/connecticut
CT is *not* a bubble. That's the fallacy of this kind of logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 06:28 AM

34,007 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
CT is *not* a bubble. That's the fallacy of this kind of logic.
It is not, but national number of deaths are not enormous. They are under 50% NYC alone Q2 2020.

This should be monitored, but not over-reacted to.

Deaths & ICU cases are vital-far more than just cases.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

The answer is to get vaccinated and carry on. If someone gets COVID with a vaccine they are much less likely to get seriously ill. We can't eliminate all risk. For someone with respiratory issues such as asthma, wearing a mask causes its own problems.

agreed.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:35 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
It is not, but national number of deaths are not enormous. They are under 50% NYC alone Q2 2020.

You just cannot compare anything to Q2 2020. The disease was brand new, the Northeast was hit badly and early, and further, even the treatment methods were not as honed as they are now.

The benchmark now should be much much lower. Because practically all the deaths occurring now are avoidable. Not the case a year ago, not the case even 6 months ago.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:42 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,668 times
CT has much better vaccination rates than anywhere in the south. It is very unlikely we would ever get to that point between vaccinations and natural immunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Numbers are relatively low but still on the increase rather than the decrease. I guess you're not watching the situation in the South where there's virtually no ICU beds available and people are having to postpone cancer treatments over that. Will you still say this if we get to that?

Old 08-11-2021, 10:16 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
CT has much better vaccination rates than anywhere in the south. It is very unlikely we would ever get to that point between vaccinations and natural immunity.

I believe that but I hope so, the constant increase in hospitalizations (and even deaths but will agree it's still quite small and it alone is not something to be concerned about at least yet) is jarring. Yes, hundreds of hospitalizations in a state of 3 million people is still quite small too, but I want to see it plateau and start to go down, even a little.

Quote:

This I can actually mostly agree with you on. If most of the "cases" are "just a bad cold" in severity then we really don't have to restrict like it's 2020. But it's so hard to tell. I am mostly monitoring increased hospitalizations to see where we are (and percent positive too, but even that may not tell everything if only people who think they are sick are getting tested) and though low compared to the South, that's getting to be a bit concerning.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
You just cannot compare anything to Q2 2020. The disease was brand new, the Northeast was hit badly and early, and further, even the treatment methods were not as honed as they are now.

The benchmark now should be much much lower. Because practically all the deaths occurring now are avoidable. Not the case a year ago, not the case even 6 months ago.
And, in all likelihood, we are at the new low rate , no matter what we do, until covid runs it course. Our vaccination rate is very good, and pretty much crested quite a while ago. The vaccinated are not getting sick, even w/o indoor mask wearing.

Btw, Q2 2020 we were still sending post covid folks to nursing homes, where they spread the virus amongst elderly folks, and they died. Our state foolishly followed Cuomo's lead in that regard. Once we stopped sending covid patients back, deaths dropped tremendously.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:34 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Amen. This is becoming "2 decades to bend the curve" instead of 2 weeks. Was it Obama who said "Never let a good crisis go to waste?"
It was Rahm Emmanuel and the full quote is:

"You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

Old 08-11-2021, 11:09 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
For everyone out there who still doesn’t think COVID is being used as a political weapon, the CDC just drastically reduced FL’s weekend COVID cases by a whopping 30% after being called out for misinformation by the health department.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.ya...200258090.html

Old 08-11-2021, 11:16 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Will you still say this if we get to that?
Do you not believe the vaccines work?

CT vaccinated:
1 dose - 71.1%
fully - 64%

FL vaccinated:
1 dose - 60%
fully - 49.7%

64% vs. 49.7% is a big jump.

Missouri, the first to have a bad Delta wave, appears to have peaked (hopefully). It can only infect so many before it peaks and falls.

Last edited by Stylo; 08-11-2021 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut