Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2021, 08:25 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’m not about mandates, but if a baker can legally turn away a gay couple, a business can turn away unvaxxed (even though I don’t necessarily agree with it). I do like this better than financial incentives. We’re in enough debt thanks to the past two administrations.
Agree. The financial incentives clearly didn't have the cachet they were expecting. I say, let the private sector do its thing. For example, I'm on the Bushnell subscriber list, and just got an e-mail from them saying they're instituting a "proof of vaccination" policy. Just don't stand in the way of the private sector, as is being done in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 08:33 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Agree. The financial incentives clearly didn't have the cachet they were expecting. I say, let the private sector do its thing. For example, I'm on the Bushnell subscriber list, and just got an e-mail from them saying they're instituting a "proof of vaccination" policy. Just don't stand in the way of the private sector, as is being done in Florida.
It won’t stand in Florida - they just sided with Norwegian Cruise Lines. I don’t agree with forcing vaccinations, since it’s a personal choice, and comparing them to already mandated vaccines isn’t accurate IMO, since people knew the requirements and potential ramifications prior to taking the job or acceptance to school. It’s iffy, at best, for employees to be required to take a new vaccination, but maybe that’s the prior union member in me speaking. New employees and customers? Absolutely.

Old 08-13-2021, 08:38 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
The funny thing is when I hear from people that say they don't want to take it because it hasn't been FDA-approved are largely ignoring some of the other things that haven't been approved. The entire or goal and supplement industry has not been FDA or USDA approved. They are a complete drug stores in supermarkets with complete aisles filled with products that have never been approved even decades later.

An old friend of mine works for the pharmaceutical industry and he was on a rent when I first met him because basically if you say something as a supplement you pretty much don't have to do a damn thing. None of your claims have to be true and you don't have any real inspection. So all you have to say is that this might help and this might help and then you have pretty much any price you want in any mix and any purity because after all it doesn't have to be inspected. There's even an entire company's like Herbalife that are filled with products that have never actually been up the same scrutiny as the drug Market. During the 1990s there was an explosion in the use and marketing of these. Ephedra was pulled because metabolites led to a significant number of deaths.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:57 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I think a lot of people don't understand the vaccine isn't necessarily "new" in the way they are thinking. mRNA has been around for decades, it wasn't just invented in 2020 like some people seem to think. Additionally, the unvaccinated who are waiting to see long term effects are ignoring data from every other vaccine in history: major side effects show up in the first 8 weeks after vaccination. Vaccinations in the US have been going on since last December, not to mention that includes the 96% of all MDs in the US who have been vaccinated. At this point the information is out there if people actually want facts or want to side with science over what their uncle posted on Facebook. Society has to move on without them.

Bringing it back to CT, are all schools fully in person for this upcoming year or is that still uncertain in some places?

Old 08-13-2021, 10:12 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Speaking of how honest messaging would help public trust.

Mask rules with indoor dining right now might be the silliest thing ever. With no capacity rules, you’re actually safer walking to your table, where you have to wear a mask, than you are eating, where you’re stationary.

And no one keeps it on when they’re at the table. Not even the ones that still wore them without mask requirements as they approached their table (why!?). I’ve seen people lately literally maskless at a table for an hour+ and put it back on for the 30 second walk out the door.

There’s no magic bubble protecting you when you sit down.

Has to be one of the dumber rules in the pandemic.

How about, masking isn’t practical in all environments, including restaurants, so dine at your own risk?

No, instead we have this ridiculous ritual. And we wonder why there’s trust issues with public health officials.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:35 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Speaking of how honest messaging would help public trust.

Mask rules with indoor dining right now might be the silliest thing ever. With no capacity rules, you’re actually safer walking to your table, where you have to wear a mask, than you are eating, where you’re stationary.

And no one keeps it on when they’re at the table. Not even the ones that still wore them without mask requirements as they approached their table (why!?). I’ve seen people lately literally maskless at a table for an hour+ and put it back on for the 30 second walk out the door.

There’s no magic bubble protecting you when you sit down.

Has to be one of the dumber rules in the pandemic.

How about, masking isn’t practical in all environments, including restaurants, so dine at your own risk?

No, instead we have this ridiculous ritual. And we wonder why there’s trust issues with public health officials.
Fully agree. The problem solver here is very easy - encourage vaccinations and stop the silly madness, which is likely part of the reason so many unvaccinated don’t have trust in the first place. People see through the clown show, and that makes them skeptical.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:48 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
PS: that’s why I’m currently avoiding indoor dining in any mask mandated cities. Sorry, won’t do the silly ritual anymore. Outdoor dining is fine.

Old 08-13-2021, 01:27 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The funny thing is when I hear from people that say they don't want to take it because it hasn't been FDA-approved are largely ignoring some of the other things that haven't been approved. The entire or goal and supplement industry has not been FDA or USDA approved. They are a complete drug stores in supermarkets with complete aisles filled with products that have never been approved even decades later.
Some of those same folks also ask for Remdesivir and Hydroxychoroquine in the hospital even though neither of those are FDA approved for Covid as well.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:01 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Some of those same folks also ask for Remdesivir and Hydroxychoroquine in the hospital even though neither of those are FDA approved for Covid as well.
Remdesivir is approved. But that crowd is also known for favoring Ivermectin too!

Old 08-13-2021, 04:19 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’m not about mandates, but if a baker can legally turn away a gay couple, a business can turn away unvaxxed (even though I don’t necessarily agree with it). I do like this better than financial incentives. We’re in enough debt thanks to the past two administrations.
Great point, and I fully agree in businesses rights to set their own rules in both instances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut