Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2021, 05:17 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times

Advertisements

I just watched Sununu's press conference. He addressed it in sensible, pragmatic and factual manner. He said universal shutdowns, masking mandates, social distancing, etc., are not the answer. Sununu said those were emergency measures when we had no tools for individuals. It is different now because we have the tool to reduce hospitalizations and death, it's the vaccine. He urged everyone to get the vaccine since it is the most important thing we can do to fight infections. Sununu has no plans to shut things down as this is the new normal and is likely to be around for several years.

It was refreshing to hear a discussion that wasn't loaded with political jabs and party talking points. Lamont has tried to take a similar stance, but unfortunately he has had to acquiesce to party and labor pressures that are demanding further restrictions. Hopefully political pressure will not force our officials to dictate the return to the shutdowns of last fall/winter/spring that crippled many small businesses and resulted in great hardship for many families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 05:40 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
I suppose Schenck v. United States was another Big Brother overstep that our Founding Fathers fought against?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The case set a dangerous Big Brother government in action, precisely what our Founding Fathers fought against.

Read an interesting article on why inner cities vax rates are low. Some very valid points made by highly intelligent people interviewed ranging from a tepid response to people dying in disproportionate quantities per capita early on, to why as an inner city person, would a black male trust government-the same government that enthusiastically carried out the Tuskegee studies of untreated syphilis?

We have encouraged people to choose the vaccine, and I am fine with that, but not the slippery slope of forced vaccination. That changes the vaccine to a sentence.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:08 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
The case set a dangerous Big Brother government in action, precisely what our Founding Fathers fought against.

Read an interesting article on why inner cities vax rates are low. Some very valid points made by highly intelligent people interviewed ranging from a tepid response to people dying in disproportionate quantities per capita early on, to why as an inner city person, would a black male trust government-the same government that enthusiastically carried out the Tuskegee studies of untreated syphilis?

We have encouraged people to choose the vaccine, and I am fine with that, but not the slippery slope of forced vaccination. That changes the vaccine to a sentence.
Because other people take the vaccine that's why. It's at Walmart for christ sake!

NH is largely based on mass for its economy. It wants to be open due to the tax case.

You have to be vaccinated in academia and the military. Then think of all the contractors and it adds up

Old 08-16-2021, 06:11 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
No comparison, as the common citizen is not part of an army, no matter how you try to spin it.

Freedom matters more than anything.

I would be ok with requiring any living members of Washington's 18th century army to receive the vaccination, btw.
Freedom to infect others? I don't think so. Funny, I remember hearing the same arguments, back in the 80s and early 90s, about smokers' "rights".

Old 08-16-2021, 10:45 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I just watched Sununu's press conference. He addressed it in sensible, pragmatic and factual manner. He said universal shutdowns, masking mandates, social distancing, etc., are not the answer. Sununu said those were emergency measures when we had no tools for individuals. It is different now because we have the tool to reduce hospitalizations and death, it's the vaccine. He urged everyone to get the vaccine since it is the most important thing we can do to fight infections. Sununu has no plans to shut things down as this is the new normal and is likely to be around for several years.

It was refreshing to hear a discussion that wasn't loaded with political jabs and party talking points. Lamont has tried to take a similar stance, but unfortunately he has had to acquiesce to party and labor pressures that are demanding further restrictions. Hopefully political pressure will not force our officials to dictate the return to the shutdowns of last fall/winter/spring that crippled many small businesses and resulted in great hardship for many families.

Sununu is a strong leader, who will not fall under pressure. I wish I had such high hopes for Lamont, but it would not be warranted.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:45 AM

464 posts, read 312,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Freedom to infect others? I don't think so. Funny, I remember hearing the same arguments, back in the 80s and early 90s, about smokers' "rights".
we evolve as a society, and math and science should be the drivers when it involves health and safety, especially of other people.
* second hand smoke impacts other people - we didn’t ban smoking completely but did say you cannot do it on an airplane or in most restaurants
* you can’t scream bomb or fire in a crowded place, it would create chaos and potentially injure others
* school age kids are required to get a handful of vaccines when young, to protect themselves but also, more importantly, from getting it and giving to other people
* you must wear shoes and shirts in most indoor non-beach restaurants. Part of this is for health reasons of other people
* you cannot drink and drive. Again, largely because you can injure/kill other people. Sure, we don’t want a drunk to die by hitting a telephone poll, but the far more important and tragic part of drunk driving I when you injure and kill innocent people.

At the end of the day, in 2021, some people are so determined to say “freedoms, rights, constitution, etc, but there are exceptions to the rule to have a healthy, protected functioning society. Certain people deserve and command more respect (judges, police officers, teachers) otherwise there are consequences. You can’t behave or say things to those and not expect to have negative ramifications (versus the way you would talk to your sibling or neighbor). If everyone can end this pandemic by being vaccinated, then it’s not the most unreasonable thing to think at some point a vaccine is mandated or (what I think is better), allow places to require vaccine for admittance, just like schools do with kids and certain vaccines, restaurants do for shirt/shoes, and seatbelts in vehicles.

I heard insurance companies are looking into charging more for non-vaccinated premiums. GOOD. My health insurance at work and my life insurance policy costs more if I smoke and purposefully expose myself to unnecessary risk, I don’t see the problem with charging more if you are not vaccinated.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Freedom to decide what gets put into my arms. You betcha.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:15 AM

464 posts, read 312,408 times
Quote:
Freedom to decide what gets put into my arms. You betcha.
why don’t we all just go back to no medicine and vaccines and drop the life expectancy back down in half. Why should I trust anything being put into my body. Natural immunity for the win!

[url]https://online.regiscollege.edu/blog/public-health-initiatives-life-expectancy-immunizations/[/url]

[url]https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/culture/article/cannot-forget-world-before-vaccines[/url]

[url]https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.com/technology/2013/09/life-expectancy-history-public-health-and-medical-advances-that-lead-to-long-lives.amp[/url]

Sounds like a good time. FREEDOM!

With that said, it should be a choice, I just wish we didn’t have so many mis-informed people actually choosing to not get it.

Last edited by Reilly1017; 08-16-2021 at 11:25 AM..

Old 08-16-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
why don’t we all just go back to no medicine and vaccines and drop the life expectancy back down in half. Why should I trust anything being put into my body. Natural immunity for the win!

https://online.regiscollege.edu/blog...immunizations/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nat...efore-vaccines

https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.c...long-lives.amp

Sounds like a good time. FREEDOM!

With that said, it should be a choice, I just wish we didn’t have so many mis-informed people actually choosing to not get it.
It is.

Old 08-16-2021, 01:28 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
I am worried (I have Crohn's Disease) about this Delta Variant of Covid-19. I know CT is starting to get more cases but I was wondering how our high vaccination rate in CT was doing protecting us here so I looked up the current death rate by state.

Current Deaths Per 100,000 by State.................Fully Vaccinated Rate August 16
Lowest
1) Rhode Island...........--.01 The lowest..............62.64%
2) South Dakota..........--.03..............................47.86% (this state is sparsely populated and very rural but still?)
3) Maine.....................--.03..............................64.6%
4) Delaware................--.04..............................53.7% (this doesn't make sense)
5) Connecticut.............--.04..............................64.7% (we are doing well...thank God and the vaccine scientists)

Maybe the denser states like ours need a higher vaccination rate because we are not protected by a sparse population?

Current Deaths Per 100,000 by State.................Fully Vaccinated Rate August 16
Highest (sadly this list makes sense)
1) Louisiana................--.95 The highest.............38.34%
2) Arkansas.................--.79..............................38.62%
3) Nevada...................--.72..............................45.84% (people going to this state on vacation)
4) Florida....................--.71..............................50.35% (Florida population is dense on the coastlines)
5) Mississippi...............--.67..............................35.77%

It seems like if you are a densely populated state you need to get the vaccine rate as close to 70% to get good protection.

All the people going into Florida for vacation is probably skewing the vaccination rate lower (probably Nevada too) but you can't see it. If a bunch of unvaccinated people are going into FL (or NV) for vacation and making FL/NV residents sick you won't see that in the data.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...te-july-1.html
https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...-march-15.html

Last edited by CTartist; 08-16-2021 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut