Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2021, 11:02 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,940,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Note how you immediately attributed a left/right implication here? Therein lies the problem.

The only "agenda" is getting back to normalcy, if not 2019 conditions, as far as public health. I think and hope you would share attainment of that agenda. There is no ulterior motive nor satisfaction derived in "prolonging" the pandemic or "control" by requiring people to cover their faces.
There is certainly virtue signaling going on for both sides here. On one extreme you have Oregon enacting an outdoor mask mandate and on the other you have mask mandate bans in FL and TX. Not sure that either approach gets us closer to "normal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 11:19 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,081,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
There is certainly virtue signaling going on for both sides here. On one extreme you have Oregon enacting an outdoor mask mandate and on the other you have mask mandate bans in FL and TX. Not sure that either approach gets us closer to "normal."
Have never subscribed to that. And preventing local authorities from enacting mandates is "harm signaling" by the way, nothing virtuous about it. But I think it's critical that all sides align on the end goal of normalcy. Not clear to me that people agree on even that basic premise. I shudder to think about the next pandemic, which may be more fatal, given how we as a nation acted on this one.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:24 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,058 times
I’m for religious exemptions and valid medical exemptions for all vaccines. It’s important to note though that for diseases like measles, if there are outbreaks, it is well established that schools can exclude the unvaccinated during outbreaks. Wonder how many parents with strongly held religious beliefs that only apply to the Covid vaccine would change their tune when they have to home school their kid during a school or community outbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
There's workarounds when it comes to school. Many parents are against vaccinating their children and they still attend. This was before Covid so nothing to do with the politics and freedom fighters. Maybe with some it's religious exemption. I don't know

CT is doing a great job. The recent mask mandates were much ado about nothing, basically one final attempt at a Grandstand. It's a wink-wink now. I see many unmasked in places still but there's less pushback. No one really cares. Stores and restaurants could be in violation but no ones checking.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:29 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Agree. I’m not for mask mandates, but I’m also not for mask mandate bans. There is surely a middle ground, those it seems those of us standing there are quite lonely these days.

Old 09-02-2021, 11:56 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,204,309 times
As much as I have talked about the mask thing, and to be clear I always meant slow the spread, not stop Covid altogether, the only way out of this for good is vaccination. Not just here....global......until that is ever to a reasonable level, this is will continue to mutate and cause variants to spread. While CT is doing pretty well overall, the big picture has to be a global effort.
The vaccine thing is a touchy subject and anti or pro vaxxers both think they are right. My body ,my choice......whatever.....would the people saying that feel bad if they got sick and were fine but passed to a family member who dies? At this point , it 's a major health issue to me, not political, and those who can get vaxxed should do their part and do it. Vaccine mandates in school I am not against.......at work I am not against. If it keeps us safer and can somehow put an end to this, then that is what we need to do. Work together and get it done.......but as I mentioned, all this has to be done as a global effort. That is the ending to all this. And I don't know if that is going to happen.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:47 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCt View Post
And the same is true of Florida. Vaccines are available every where. Monoclonal antibodies save hospitalization and lives however for those with breakthrough infections and the unvaccinated. As the season changes, infections will increase as will hospitalization in Ct.
The whole monoclonal antibody thing in FL is a way for DeSantis to "save face" so to speak. He doesn't want to do the things proven to lessen the spread so instead he takes the incorrect attitude "we're all going to get it anyway, so we should all just get sick and then these monoclonal antibodies may cure us".

It's better when possible not to get sick to begin with.

Last edited by JayCT; 09-02-2021 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Removed off topic comment

Old 09-02-2021, 07:28 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,182,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
And will you be outraged if Connecticut businesses start banning unvaccinated customers from entering- even with face masks- or companies don't hire someone if they haven't received the vaccine? After all, their business, their choice right?
I'm a business owner, everyone has to wear a KN 95 or N95mask.
If you're going to mask.....do it right.
Another failure from the Govt. Masks are not created equal.

Zero outrage here. I reserve my outrage for the hypocrisy of the left.

Old 09-02-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Note how you immediately attributed a left/right implication here? Therein lies the problem.

The only "agenda" is getting back to normalcy, if not 2019 conditions, as far as public health. I think and hope you would share attainment of that agenda. There is no ulterior motive nor satisfaction derived in "prolonging" the pandemic or "control" by requiring people to cover their faces.
I agree 100% with the above.

However in another post you mockingly mentioned bleach as a consideration just a few pages earlier. So umm sounds left to me....

Old 09-02-2021, 07:37 PM

21,718 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
I'm a business owner, everyone has to wear a KN 95 or N95mask.
If you're going to mask.....do it right.
Another failure from the Govt. Masks are not created equal.

Zero outrage here. I reserve my outrage for the hypocrisy of the left.

This recent study also showed that modest ventilation is just as effective as the best masks to prevent spread. Unfortunately ventilation doesn’t get much attention. It’s not a hot, divisive topic.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/stu...more/19844289/

Old 09-02-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The whole monoclonal antibody thing in FL is a way for DeSantis to "save face" so to speak. He doesn't want to do the things proven to lessen the spread so instead he takes the incorrect attitude "we're all going to get it anyway, so we should all just get sick and then these monoclonal antibodies may cure us".

It's better when possible not to get sick to begin with.
DeSantis is doing something positive. He also is realistic in that you can't force everyone to comply.

Also the CDC has repeatedly over reported infection rates in Florida.

Been there 3 times in as many months.
Mask wearing is as widespread there if not greater than here.
Seriously in a counterintuitive way that I think no one could predict, the lack of a mandate..... seemingly led to stricter policies re mask wearing at a business level...

Fwiw my whole family had CV a year ago. All of us are vaccinated too.

See people here not wearing masks, throwing out litter. We don't live in some Utopian society here either....

Last edited by JayCT; 09-02-2021 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: Removed off topic quote and response
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut