Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2021, 06:32 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times

Advertisements

I woke up with a cough yesterday. The timing was poor because I was due to go to Smilow that day to get my pump, which is part of the treatment I went for on Monday, disconnected.

I called my regular doctor and got some medication for the cough, plus they ordered a COVID test. I called Smilow and told them the situation and they said it was ok for me to come in.

I took the COVID test yesterday and got my negative result this morning. Hopefully I get rid of the cough soon. It's not too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 06:35 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You haven’t been paying attention then. There is a ton of research statistics that shows the unvaccinated are more likely to get and spread Covid-19. Just google it. Below are just a couple of the links you’d find. Jay

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavir...get-vaccinated

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid...die-from-covid

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...rotection.html

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...f-covid-19-cdc

https://www.kut.org/covid-19/2021-11...xas-data-shows
There actually has not been a “ton” of research on this. There have been some studies, at best, but there is still so much unknown. What we DO know are that even vaccinated people are getting and spreading the virus. Hard to argue otherwise when it’s happening before our very eyes.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I woke up with a cough yesterday. The timing was poor because I was due to go to Smilow that day to get my pump, which is part of the treatment I went for on Monday, disconnected.

I called my regular doctor and got some medication for the cough, plus they ordered a COVID test. I called Smilow and told them the situation and they said it was ok for me to come in.

I took the COVID test yesterday and got my negative result this morning. Hopefully I get rid of the cough soon. It's not too bad.
Glad it’s not Covid. Feel better!

Old 12-02-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Let's just put it this way. Tells us all exactly how a pandemic ends without vaccination? Allowing people to be unvaxxed means it mutates further as hosts and then THAT spreads. Penn and Teller has a pretty good video of this on youtube. Some conditions do pop up after the fact like chicken pox and shingles but if you are vaccinated or already had it then it isn't a problem.

Of course the unvaxed are more likely to spread it and have it. If you are vaccinated against anything you are less likely to get it or be as harmed. I know people that had it both with and without the vaccine. Those that had it without the vaccine are MUCH worse off. I'm not getting into specifics but it's bad, it's really bad.
You're talking past each other. Kidyankee doesn't contend that the vaccine makes no difference, just that vaccinated people can contract and spread COVID, though the manifestation is more mild for the vaccinated.

I have heard of a number of vaccinated people who have gotten COVID, so he is right about that. I don't know the rates of contraction or spread among vaccinated vs. non-vaccinated.

I think part of the problem is that the goalposts have been moved, as has happened repeatedly through this whole COVID nightmare. Initially the vaccines were thought to prevent contraction of the disease as well as transmission, and now we find that they only reduce the severity of the disease for vaccinated people who contract it. That is a definite comedown from the original expectation.

In terms of stopping the spread of the disease, if vaccinated people can transmit it, then why is widespread vaccination so important to anybody other than the unvaccinated person? The hope was that widespread vaccination would kill the transmission of the disease, but vaccinated people can get it and transmit it, albeit in a more mild form as long as the person to whom the disease is transmitted is also vaccinated. It seems that this circumstance reduces vaccination status to a personal concern rather than a societal concern, unless the transmission rate (as opposed to disease severity, which people here keep mixing up) is much lower among vaccinated people. If that is the case, then it would still be a societal concern to have large percentages vaccinated. The hospital situation also makes it a societal concern, as I think about it more. Less severe cases require fewer hospitalizations.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Glad it’s not Covid. Feel better!
Thanks man.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
You're talking past each other. Kidyankee doesn't contend that the vaccine makes no difference, just that vaccinated people can contract and spread COVID, though the manifestation is more mild for the vaccinated.

I have heard of a number of vaccinated people who have gotten COVID, so he is right about that. I don't know the rates of contraction or spread among vaccinated vs. non-vaccinated.

I think part of the problem is that the goalposts have been moved, as has happened repeatedly through this whole COVID nightmare. Initially the vaccines were thought to prevent contraction of the disease as well as transmission, and now we find that they only reduce the severity of the disease for vaccinated people who contract it. That is a definite comedown from the original expectation.

In terms of stopping the spread of the disease, if vaccinated people can transmit it, then why is widespread vaccination so important to anybody other than the unvaccinated person? The hope was that widespread vaccination would kill the transmission of the disease, but vaccinated people can get it and transmit it, albeit in a more mild form as long as the person to whom the disease is transmitted is also vaccinated. It seems that this circumstance reduces vaccination status to a personal concern rather than a societal concern, unless the transmission rate (as opposed to disease severity, which people here keep mixing up) is much lower among vaccinated people. If that is the case, then it would still be a societal concern to have large percentages vaccinated. The hospital situation also makes it a societal concern, as I think about it more. Less severe cases require fewer hospitalizations.
Well said. This is exactly my point.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:21 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Of course it’s a political statement, literally made by POTUS (and continuously repeated by his staunch supporters), who’s vaccine mandates aren’t faring well in federal court, by the way.

What does it matter that unvaxxed are getting sicker, when that severity of sickness literally affects nobody other than the unvaxxed, taking into account the vaxxed are catching and spreading at no different pace? Seriously - why do you care?
Why? Ask any epidemiologist: the more you allow a virus to replicate and circulate, the more mutations it can undergo. Those variants come back to haunt the rest of us who are trying to be vigilant and responsible. I mean--we have proven this model over and over with measles, diphtheria, polio and a host of other diseases...and yet it seems to be so controversial with Covid. Absolutely crazy.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:

You're overlooking the mutations and replication--which are running rampant among the unvaccinated, vs. the vaccinated. That's why it's not just an individual concern.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Why? Ask any epidemiologist: the more you allow a virus to replicate and circulate, the more mutations it can undergo. Those variants come back to haunt the rest of us who are trying to be vigilant and responsible. I mean--we have proven this model over and over with measles, diphtheria, polio and a host of other diseases...and yet it seems to be so controversial with Covid. Absolutely crazy.
Perhaps its because diphtheria had a mortality rate of up to 20%, polio up to 30%, etc. COVID is nowhere near that (far less than 1% at this point). It’s also because this pandemic has been so widely used as a political weapon by both parties that it’s difficult for many people to see through the web and determine what is and what isn’t.

Even in this very thread, posters are taking the statement “even vaccinated are falling ill with and spreading COVID, too” and misconstruing words/phrases by either talking past each other, or outright failing to acknowledge what’s happening before their very eyes. It’s no wonder COVID has become controversial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
You're overlooking the mutations and replication--which are running rampant among the unvaccinated, vs. the vaccinated. That's why it's not just an individual concern.
If this is what you believe, then vaccinate yourself and get your boosters. If they work so well, you shouldn’t be concerned about what anyone else is doing.

Old 12-02-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Perhaps its because diphtheria had a mortality rate of up to 20%, polio up to 30%, etc. COVID is nowhere near that (far less than 1% at this point). It’s also because this pandemic has been so widely used as a political weapon by both parties that it’s difficult for many people to see through the web and determine what is and what isn’t.

Even in this very thread, posters are taking the statement “even vaccinated are falling ill with and spreading COVID, too” and misconstruing words/phrases by either talking past each other, or outright failing to acknowledge what’s happening before their very eyes. It’s no wonder COVID has become controversial.
It's not only about mortality. We require varicella vaccinations also in CT. How many people have died of chickenpox?

It's about societal cost. You'd think after 20 months of this disaster, that would be self-evident. Heck, paying the unvaxxed a $2000 stipend to get vaxxed would have a positive ROI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut