Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2021, 06:38 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times

Advertisements

That’s most likely the case. Last week there were 112 Covid inpatients at YNHH’s New Haven campuses so 40’’s total statewide wasn’t correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
News makes mistakes. They probably meant 40 NEW hospitalizations, not total
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 07:08 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
Because you end up with the situation my 8th grader had on Friday when 3 out of her 4 teachers (the major classes like Math, Science, English, etc) were out sick.

I want my kids in school, but honestly, since the start of November, and worse since Thanksgiving, it has spread like wildfire through the town daycares all the way up to the high school.

Got the email last night again with how many kids tested positive over the weekend and how many now have to quarantine.

And we all know it will get worse after the break.

So if they kept kids home after the holidays for a month, fine by me. Rather they do that then have my kids get it and are home sick. Personally, I think it should be done on a local level. No need for the towns next door to shut down if they do not have any issues.
Unfortunately the problem is that many people do not have work flexibility and don't have anyone at home to watch the kids. Many people cannot work from home and there is a very large number of families where children are being raised by only one parent where that parent needs to work to pay the bills. Additionally, many kids absolutely cannot handle the isolation and lack of structure.

Even if people could get paid to stay home we are dealing with a significant labor shortage which is causing serious issues with many critical businesses leading to significant inflation. This puts even greater stress on families with limited incomes.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:42 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Finally a story mentioning symptoms. They don't do this because its not scary enough...

Omicron doesnt have the flu like symptoms like the first coronavirus strain did. [From UK, hard to find anything from US or CT ]

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/16/omic...ses-shows.html

Actually I've seen this out there aplenty, it's just a matter of whether the news emphasizes it. Heck I had some of these symptoms last week for a couple of days but I didn't bother to test (unless it had gotten worse which it didn't) because:

1) I was off from work anyway for various reasons so I wasn't going to expose anyone outside. Only my wife was home with me (kids had not come in from college yet) so I'd wait with her too (she had similar symptoms at the same time as me).

2) Unless you have to for a job or to travel or are very concern you spread/you are spreading to others, waiting on a long, crowded line (especially with people who may give it to you if you actually don't test positive right now) seemed very counterproductive right now.

To answer some of the others, I think the concern right now causing all the shutdowns is a little different than in March 2020. It's because this seems to be super contagious and so many are suddenly testing positive and since it's still "unknown" we're not sure where this leads. But (as I expect but I won't say I'm 100% sure) if it turns out most of them (especially the vaccinated/boosted) basically got a "very bad cold" out of it, I think it will calm down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Even prior to the initial vaccine deployments, it was pre-determined that nothing was acceptable to treat symptoms. They made the call. It was all said and done. It was over before it started. The final decisions were made. There wasn't anything anyone could do.

Channel 12. Local as local news gets, the other day said CT hospital admittance was in the 40s. If it went up since, then it went up.

I see where this is going, if you are talking about ivermectin and hydroxycholorquine, just stop there. No one is deemphasizing monoclonal antibodies and a lot of real drugs to treat this are on the way.

Quote:
Because you end up with the situation my 8th grader had on Friday when 3 out of her 4 teachers (the major classes like Math, Science, English, etc) were out sick.

I want my kids in school, but honestly, since the start of November, and worse since Thanksgiving, it has spread like wildfire through the town daycares all the way up to the high school.

Got the email last night again with how many kids tested positive over the weekend and how many now have to quarantine.

And we all know it will get worse after the break.

So if they kept kids home after the holidays for a month, fine by me. Rather they do that then have my kids get it and are home sick. Personally, I think it should be done on a local level. No need for the towns next door to shut down if they do not have any issues.
I think you hit the nail on the head as I said above as to WHY this is going on, but I disagree about the break. If anything, I think the big school breaks are our "saving grace" in all this. If 2-3 weeks from now it seems almost all those people who tested postive didn't get that sick and have long recovered, we'll be looking at this differently. Yes because of what I think will be massively more sheer number of infections at once we still may have an issue with the hospitals for a bit, but this wave will be looked at more like a sudden flu bug in hindsight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
That’s most likely the case. Last week there were 112 Covid inpatients at YNHH’s New Haven campuses so 40’’s total statewide wasn’t correct.
Interestingly, in NY hospitalizations seem to have recently stabilized/gone down a little despite it going up to around 8% (I think there was even one day where CT hospitalizations went down slightly). Could be a good sign on Omicron (but yeah I'm pretty sure the 40s was a "increase for the day" not a total).

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 12-20-2021 at 07:52 AM..

Old 12-20-2021, 08:30 AM

184 posts, read 106,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Unfortunately the problem is that many people do not have work flexibility and don't have anyone at home to watch the kids. Many people cannot work from home and there is a very large number of families where children are being raised by only one parent where that parent needs to work to pay the bills. Additionally, many kids absolutely cannot handle the isolation and lack of structure.

Even if people could get paid to stay home we are dealing with a significant labor shortage which is causing serious issues with many critical businesses leading to significant inflation. This puts even greater stress on families with limited incomes.
I am lucky, I still work from home, I know this. But the flip side to your argument is that the kids are already sick or quarantined, staying home, sometimes at a moment's notice like when my child's daycare class shut down and I had a hour to go get her. Those families are not going to back to work.

For me, instead of having my kid sick, at home and not learning, i rather my school board made the decision now to shut down in school learning for a month, give people a chance to plan ahead, and then if cases decrease in our area, open back up again in February. Doing who gets to go and who has to stay home on a day to day basis is not working for students either. And, at some point they will run out of substitute teachers too, like they did bus drivers earlier in the fall. Then what?

Because while the school is closed down for a week, we know people are visiting from out of town, parents are going out for New Year's parties, and the whole cycle kicks back in again the first week of January.

I am not going to get into the labor shortage and inflation, that is a whole other argument.

I am actually sending my older daughters with their mother to Hawaii on Saturday for 10 days. A trip we booked back in March due to how cheap the flights were. You wanna see stringent rules, read up on Hawaii and what it takes to enter the state. They will be safer there then my other daughter and I here.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Because while the school is closed down for a week, we know people are visiting from out of town, parents are going out for New Year's parties, and the whole cycle kicks back in again the first week of January.

Unless it really circulates through everyone well before then and since some doctors are saying this is as contagious as measles (pretty much the most contagious disease out there), this time around it may not be the case.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:11 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

Inflation also due to “printing” trillions of dollars as stimulus.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:29 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
I am actually sending my older daughters with their mother to Hawaii on Saturday for 10 days. A trip we booked back in March due to how cheap the flights were. You wanna see stringent rules, read up on Hawaii and what it takes to enter the state. They will be safer there then my other daughter and I here.
I went to Hawaii two months ago and while you’re correct they are strict for entry, once you get away from touristy areas in Waikiki, mask mandates, proof of vaccination and social distancing is a joke. It’s largely not enforced.

I also challenge your thought that someone will be less likely to catch COVID traveling across the world than staying right at home in their own little town. Seems a bit odd to be so concerned over COVID at home, yet bopping around the world on a jet. It’s widely known travelers are a lot more likely to get COVID.

And, really, what are we desperately hiding from? Omicron has symptoms similar to the common cold, and it doesn’t appear to be hospitalizing people at the same rate of Delta. The worldwide fear of Omicron is, frankly, sort of laughable at this point.

Old 12-20-2021, 09:52 AM

Hawaii is red, just like CT.

https://covidactnow.org/us/hawaii-hi/?s=27181605

Old 12-20-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Inflation also due to “printing” trillions of dollars as stimulus.

As opposed to making people back in 2020 risk their lives by being at work or having weeks/months without pay and a 2nd Great Depression.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
And, really, what are we desperately hiding from? Omicron has symptoms similar to the common cold, and it doesn’t appear to be hospitalizing people at the same rate of Delta. The worldwide fear of Omicron is, frankly, sort of laughable at this point.

My gut is you will be right on that one, but the issue is we just don't know yet and the recent past doesn't help. So right now if a Rockette or a sports player tests positive but is barely sick they are erring on the side of caution and I see nothing wrong with that until this plays out a little more. I do think if this were just starting now and was starting with Omicron as it is we wouldn't be this way. But it will be interesting to see where we are after New Year's. Based on South Africa and even the UK I think this will prove to be the case though and if we're doing this with everyone getting "a bad cold" then I'll laugh along....

Old 12-20-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
As opposed to making people back in 2020 risk their lives by being at work or having weeks/months without pay and a 2nd Great Depression.....
It went on way too long and we didn’t need the second round.

After the first round and starting to figure out the virus, how to live with it, developed treatments and vaccines, etc we should’ve had more targeted stimulus to industries like restaurants and entertainment. We also could’ve targeted funds to more vulnerable people.

A lot of money was wasted on perfectly healthy twentysomethings doing absolutely nothing for a year. I know a few!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut