Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2021, 01:52 PM

464 posts, read 311,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It’s not really a flawed logic since it’s actual provided statistics. We can debate the gathering of stats but there’s really nothing better to base it on.

Do you have a source that shows people in some states don’t get tested?
google it, it’s pretty easy to find.

And at this point in the covid experience, I’m fairly confident in saying Florida has more people that say “F it” and wouldn’t get tested for a sore throat versus a state like CT where I do believe someone would, more frequently, be likely to go get a test.

now by that same logic, CT does likely have more people that test out of precaution than FL and therefore would be more likely to have negative tests as well. However what I’m saying is CT likely has more asymptomatic covid positive tests than FL.

Poll 100 people in CT and 100 people in FL. Scenario, you went to a large wedding 100 people, found out close contacts got covid, would you get tested? You don’t agree that it would be more likely, with covid attitudes, that more CT people likely would go get a precautionary test than FL people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 02:44 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post

And at this point in the covid experience, I’m fairly confident in saying Florida has more people that say “F it” and wouldn’t get tested for a sore throat versus a state like CT where I do believe someone would, more frequently, be likely to go get a test.

now by that same logic, CT does likely have more people that test out of precaution than FL and therefore would be more likely to have negative tests as well. However what I’m saying is CT likely has more asymptomatic covid positive tests than FL.

Poll 100 people in CT and 100 people in FL. Scenario, you went to a large wedding 100 people, found out close contacts got covid, would you get tested? You don’t agree that it would be more likely, with covid attitudes, that more CT people likely would go get a precautionary test than FL people?
I don't know. Seems like everyone has developed their own ways of dealing with Covid, and I'm not sure it can be extrapolated to large segments of the population. I'm vaxxed and boosted and wouldn't test unless I developed symptoms. But I know people in the same situation who would test upon exposure, however minimal. Or upon the slightest sniffle. And then there are the people on the other end of the spectrum who won't test at all as they are vaxxed and enough is enough. I don't know any openly unvaxxed persons, but I would guess it runs the gamut for them as well.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:50 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I know this is from MA, not CT, but I thought some of the conclusions from the DPH are pretty eye-opening. In particular:

"The review found unvaccinated residents are five times more likely to get infected than fully vaccinated residents, and that unvaccinated residents are 31 times more likely to become infected than fully vaccinated residents who’ve received a booster, the statement said."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/12/...officials-say/

Is that in general (my presumption) or with Omicron? Because what stats I've seen on Omicron is it seems to hit the vaccinated a lot more than the previous variants. I do think even with Omicron the unvaccinated are more likely to get infected (and certainly to have a severe outcome though it's not yet certain to what extent Omicron produces a severe outcome to begin with compared to past variants), but probably not to the magnitude of this.

I had a dentist appointment today (probably risky to begin with right now but I made it 2 months ago before the new variant) and found out at the last minute that he is cancelling all but emergencies indefinitely because of Omicron and its easy spread.

Old 12-20-2021, 02:57 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:

I’ve googled and can’t find anything to justify what you’re saying to be the case. I’m not saying it’s not true, but don’t see anything of evidentiary value to back it. If you see it on Google, please share.

Old 12-20-2021, 03:14 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
Agreed. There is a large mass of people (Floridians and elsewhere) who think COVID is a joke, not real, "just the flu," "not a big deal," and won't go get tested which statistically skews positive rate.
If anything, if true—it would skew the rate down. Because you’d have less asymptomatic/non-infected people testing.

Old 12-20-2021, 03:19 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If anything, if true—it would skew the rate down. Because you’d have less asymptomatic/non-infected people testing.
I have always thought the the measure of percentage of people testing positive for covid was flawed because the answer will depend heavily on how many people are tested. And how many people are tested will vary with attitudes as well as the propensity for doctors to send people for testing. The more people sent for testing, the lower the percentage will be because the denominator in the calculation will be higher.

Old 12-20-2021, 03:52 PM

464 posts, read 311,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’ve googled and can’t find anything to justify what you’re saying to be the case. I’m not saying it’s not true, but don’t see anything of evidentiary value to back it. If you see it on Google, please share.
Here’s one I saw, busy at moment but I can find more if you want

[url]https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/covid-19-testing/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Lo cation%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D[/url]

Sort the daily tests per million population high to low and you’ll find blue states at top, red at the bottom. WA and MD had reporting issues so they are at very bottom (incomplete data)

It’s not perfect but seems to show a general trend that blue states test more than red states

Old 12-20-2021, 05:25 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Here’s one I saw, busy at moment but I can find more if you want

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...2:%22asc%22%7D

Sort the daily tests per million population high to low and you’ll find blue states at top, red at the bottom. WA and MD had reporting issues so they are at very bottom (incomplete data)

It’s not perfect but seems to show a general trend that blue states test more than red states
Right, so when Florida’s percent positive is lower than CT’s, it’s even more indicative of lower levels of infection.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:37 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
News makes mistakes. They probably meant 40 NEW hospitalizations, not total
No, it was 40+ total at the time. They even had a graph vs last year. Tonight they're reporting up to 800. Not surprising given CT's laissez faire approach by many of it's residents. CT is a red state when it comes to Covid.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:38 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
News makes mistakes. They probably meant 40 NEW hospitalizations, not total
That is very possible. The news is about 7 minutes long these days so it's easy to miss stuff as they speed along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I don't know. Seems like everyone has developed their own ways of dealing with Covid, and I'm not sure it can be extrapolated to large segments of the population. I'm vaxxed and boosted and wouldn't test unless I developed symptoms. But I know people in the same situation who would test upon exposure, however minimal. Or upon the slightest sniffle. And then there are the people on the other end of the spectrum who won't test at all as they are vaxxed and enough is enough. I don't know any openly unvaxxed persons, but I would guess it runs the gamut for them as well.

I know someone who tests when they travel, but has never tested when they felt they had it but wasn't going anywhere. They are convinced they've had covid a number of times since early 2020, but have no proof.

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 12-20-2021 at 05:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut