Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2021, 09:09 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
To be honest, unless there's a solid medical reason, there's really not a good reason, especially since for 90+% of them the reason is lies they saw on the Internet (or sometimes even Fox News, who has been kind of back and forth and hypocritical on it). It's sad they are booing Trump for something he should've been more consistent about when he was President.

I won't go as far as to say they deserve to die, but if this is our best and fastest way back to normal maybe they should be denied certain societal priveleges if that is keeping us from getting there. I'll agree it didn't give us sterilizing immunity which is a surprise and a disappointment and muddies it just a little bit but it appears with Omicron it pretty much brings it down to a bad cold and I think as such once we get past the mass transmission and unknown outcomes that could finally get us out of this if the unvaccinated don't clog our hospitals and health care system.

That said, I think if 3-4 months from now another vaccine is asked for there may be a lot more questioning. But my hope is the combination of the booster and everyone basically being exposed produces the "superimmunity" that kind of finally puts the virus into endemicity.
This write up on mutations may change your mind that the vaccine is the reason for it being less lethal. It’s a long, but interesting read. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-0690-4

Given that only ~30% of the population is boosted, I’d say a lot of people shared your disappointment that it wasn’t the problem solver we had all hoped. It also leads me to believe that questioning amongst the vaccinated has already begun. I’d be shocked if the CDC didn’t recommend a third booster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 09:32 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This write up on mutations may change your mind that the vaccine is the reason for it being less lethal. It’s a long, but interesting read. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-0690-4

Given that only ~30% of the population is boosted, I’d say a lot of people shared your disappointment that it wasn’t the problem solver we had all hoped. It also leads me to believe that questioning amongst the vaccinated has already begun. I’d be shocked if the CDC didn’t recommend a third booster.

Well OK to be more precise I think it's a combination of both. It makes sense the mutations are a factor too, as 1918 Spanish flu basically ended with a set of more transmissable but less virulent mutations and that's what I honestly hope happens here. But it's still clear the unvaccinated are more likely to have bad outcomes with Omicron. It's not clear that ALL of them will get sick to the point of hospitalization, etc. with it but it is clear the odds of that happening with them are greater.

I think the only way the next booster after this one "flies" with the populace is either if A) it proves to provide near-sterilizing immunity, or B) if it is specific to Omicron. We'll see.....

Old 12-25-2021, 10:11 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,204,630 times
Quote:
Been wondering about you. Nice to see you back, even if only for the moment. Happy Holidays!
You too. Stay safe. I'll keep dropping in here.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:53 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Well OK to be more precise I think it's a combination of both. It makes sense the mutations are a factor too, as 1918 Spanish flu basically ended with a set of more transmissable but less virulent mutations and that's what I honestly hope happens here. But it's still clear the unvaccinated are more likely to have bad outcomes with Omicron. It's not clear that ALL of them will get sick to the point of hospitalization, etc. with it but it is clear the odds of that happening with them are greater.

I think the only way the next booster after this one "flies" with the populace is either if A) it proves to provide near-sterilizing immunity, or B) if it is specific to Omicron. We'll see.....
I may be in the minority on this, but I don't see why learning about how to deal with a fast evolving virus, new to most of our lifetimes, through evolving vaccines & therapeutics should be met with resistance or resentment. Those who do, are just plain ignorant as to how science and modern medicine work, or choose to ascribe conspiratorial motives to why those countermeasures are being pushed.

From my standpoint, I'll take a new booster every 6 mo for the rest of my life, if it means we all get to live normal lives and travel freely as a consequence.

Old 12-26-2021, 01:24 PM

82 posts, read 99,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
From my standpoint, I'll take a new booster every 6 mo for the rest of my life, if it means we all get to live normal lives and travel freely as a consequence.

Data is showing you will need a booster every 2 months for the rest of your life.

Old 12-26-2021, 01:46 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhenry View Post
Data is showing you will need a booster every 2 months for the rest of your life.
Source?

Old 12-26-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhenry View Post

I can see that happening, but even 6 months, it is going to be interesting to see how or if it is implemented. No other situation has required shots beyond the original one or series less than once a year (the flu). I am not into conspiracy theories, but it is strange that we've never had to do this before and out of the blue comes a disease where we do to survive.

Then again, I am starting to think more and more that if we all get Omicron and it gives most of us (especially the boosted) a cold at best, maybe this is how it finally ends. I have noted here how at this point instead of all the latest hoopla on testing I would simply stay home if I feel ill so I don't potentially give to the more vulnerable if it really was a mild version of Omicron and save testing for if I get sicker than that (or if I need to for a job or travel but given all the troubles that has given in terms of crowds, shortages and the appearance that Omicron COVID is wreaking havoc and destroying us all I am wondering if we can start to tone that down any as well). I am concerned for hospitals because numbers much bigger than before will still mean as much if not more hospitalizations even if the odds/rate of hospitalization is significantly less

I love watching Dr. Jha of Brown University when he goes on ABC World News Tonight he usually has a very cautious but sane view on COVID and he pretty much validates what I'm saying above now:

https://thehill.com/homenews/587329-...vo9YqYXQBLmPn4

Old 12-26-2021, 03:05 PM

23 posts, read 9,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Source?
I would have asked the same had you not beaten me to it.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ster-shot.html

I dont see anything there that says we will need a booster every 2 months for the rest of our lives.

The closest it comes is:

When to get a booster: At least 2 months after completing your primary COVID-19 vaccination

An Australian pharmacist says we will need a booster every 6 mos for many years, but is a pharmacist (who knows more than I do, for sure) really qualified to make such a call?

Old 12-26-2021, 03:21 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:

There could be another mutation by then. It seems we are chasing our tails.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
There could be another mutation by then. It seems we are chasing our tails.

True but maybe the mutations start to get weaker....that's how 1918 Spanish Flu eventually died down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut