Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2022, 07:43 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As for seniors, wearing a mask when in a store with a multitude of unmasked people, they are taking their chances.
I'd think risk is relatively low moving and transient in a large space with a proper N95/KN95. Most people catch at home, or in confined spaces for extended periods with someone.

The level of education on what makes a good mask, frankly, sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 08:15 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Mask up? They are about 40 years old and caught it from their kids who caught it from other kids. The relatives in Vermont are a youngish guy and his mom. He works outdoors so I don't think he would be masking up. People get covid indoors, like in stores with a lot of people around.

Taking away masks in schools has resulted in schools closing but it's hard to keep kids wearing masks forever, and not very good for them anyway. As for seniors, wearing a mask when in a store with a multitude of unmasked people, they are taking their chances.
Yes, if you feel you’re at risk, mask up. Don’t make demands of others who don’t. Full stop.

It’s amazing to see people suggest mask wearing person A is at risk if non mask wearing person B is in their presence. If mask wearing person A actually believes that, stay the hell home. Everyone else wants to live life.

Old 05-07-2022, 03:53 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yes, if you feel you’re at risk, mask up. Don’t make demands of others who don’t. Full stop.

It’s amazing to see people suggest mask wearing person A is at risk if non mask wearing person B is in their presence. If mask wearing person A actually believes that, stay the hell home. Everyone else wants to live life.
Those masks don't work. If you look at the size of the virus and compare it to the size of the holes in a mask, it very easily gets through the mast. It's much like using a chain link fence to stop mosquitoes. Ain't gonna work. High grade masks above an N95 will help but these cloth masks don't do a thing except contribute to making it more difficult to exhale crap in your body that you need to expel to keep from getting sick. I swear at my last job I was sick constantly because I was required to wear a mask for close to two years. I've been out of that place for three months now and for the first time in three months I just got sick with a minor cold. Just about over it. That says a lot.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:40 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Really? It's so amazing? Right now we are in a high risk part of the country. I just had another cousin call me today to tell me she has covid. Her husband is due for surgery and he's starting to feel sick so his surgery will probably have to be cancelled. It was important surgery too. I went on facebook and yet ANOTHER cousin (in Vermont) has covid. A friend in Maine who has type I diabetes is furious because now she doesn't dare go anywhere.

No, people cannot just stay the hell home. People with diabetes, people undergoing chemo, people in their 60s+, still have lives to live and things they need to do. And you tell them to just stay the hell home.

What do you mean, "If you FEEL you're at risk"? Believe it or not there are a lot of people who really are at risk. They usually just don't whine about it like the people who don't want to be inconvenienced by wearing a mask. Inconvenience vs ICU, ventilator, possible death, very sick at the least. Entire schools closing down due to covid. But can't be bothered to go to all that trouble it takes to wear a mask.

Old 05-07-2022, 07:49 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Those masks don't work. If you look at the size of the virus and compare it to the size of the holes in a mask, it very easily gets through the mast. It's much like using a chain link fence to stop mosquitoes. Ain't gonna work. High grade masks above an N95 will help but these cloth masks don't do a thing except contribute to making it more difficult to exhale crap in your body that you need to expel to keep from getting sick. I swear at my last job I was sick constantly because I was required to wear a mask for close to two years. I've been out of that place for three months now and for the first time in three months I just got sick with a minor cold. Just about over it. That says a lot.
Of course the cloth masks don't work for Omicron but we've know that for a long time. It's just too bad that the government or CDC or somebody didn't put out more good information. I seldom see anyone still wearing a cloth mask but if you say you are seeing that, then that's unfortunate.

I've gone through one box of N95s and am on the second box, the ones the government sent to the towns. I make them last by keeping each one in a paper bag in the car. That way they dry out and when you go out to a high risk place the next day you just wear one from an earlier bag. But I had to look that up. No one gave out any instructions. In the early days the hospital workers didn't usually get covid and they wore PPE and reused it. It works.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:29 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Please stop the off topic discussion. If you wish to debate about wearing masks, there are other forums discussing that. This forum is for discussing the Covid virus in Connecticut. All other discussions will be deleted. JayCT, Moderator

Old 05-09-2022, 05:49 AM

708 posts, read 401,090 times
Quote:
Those masks don't work. If you look at the size of the virus and compare it to the size of the holes in a mask, it very easily gets through the mast. It's much like using a chain link fence to stop mosquitoes. Ain't gonna work.
And this is why after 2 years we're still facing problems with this virus. People are getting their viral news from crazy Michael Savage. He may not be wrong about the mask thing. I believe if you're going to wear one, then N-95s are the way to go. A surgical mask isn't going to keep covid particles out of your face at Costco if 90% of the people around you aren't wearing one. But other lies he's mentioned about this virus on his show-not cool. And the people that listen to him eat up everything he says.

Old 05-09-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTableKnight View Post
And this is why after 2 years we're still facing problems with this virus. People are getting their viral news from crazy Michael Savage. He may not be wrong about the mask thing. I believe if you're going to wear one, then N-95s are the way to go. A surgical mask isn't going to keep covid particles out of your face at Costco if 90% of the people around you aren't wearing one. But other lies he's mentioned about this virus on his show-not cool. And the people that listen to him eat up everything he says.
Wrong. I don't listen to Michael Savage. I do know and have known people that have a background in lab work and also the pharmaceutical industry though and have researched this for myself.

Everyone has been wearing the masks and it is still around because the size of the virus ranges from .06 to .13 microns. The virus is far too small to be stopped by the average mask. N95 (filters down to .3 microns) affords very little protection and in reality you need a mask that will filter from .06 to .13 microns sizes. If the virus is attached to a particle that is larger then yes it can be stopped by the mast but it still can penetrate the mask if if manages to hit the wrong spot on the mask.

The virus is going to be around for a long time and is going to mutate. The best defense against it is your own immune system and not some experimental shots. Everyone has been wearing a mask in CT for a long time and the virus has not gone away. Same with every other state with draconian mandates for the mask. They don't work at keeping the virus out of your body.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:35 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Wrong. I don't listen to Michael Savage. I do know and have known people that have a background in lab work and also the pharmaceutical industry though and have researched this for myself.

Everyone has been wearing the masks and it is still around because the size of the virus ranges from .06 to .13 microns. The virus is far too small to be stopped by the average mask. N95 (filters down to .3 microns) affords very little protection and in reality you need a mask that will filter from .06 to .13 microns sizes. If the virus is attached to a particle that is larger then yes it can be stopped by the mast but it still can penetrate the mask if if manages to hit the wrong spot on the mask.

The virus is going to be around for a long time and is going to mutate. The best defense against it is your own immune system and not some experimental shots. Everyone has been wearing a mask in CT for a long time and the virus has not gone away. Same with every other state with draconian mandates for the mask. They don't work at keeping the virus out of your body.
Calling these shots "experimental" is itself disinformation. Not to mention that, without precedent, this is the most closely monitored vaccine rollout in human history.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:55 AM

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/05/healt...eua/index.html

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...ccine/2465122/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut