Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 07:07 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izza01 View Post
Thank you! I'm very excited for my new job and the experience of living in a new place. To answer your questions...

I don't want to send my kids to "bad schools" but they don't have to be top notch. I really believe that half of it lies with the parents and how much they put into it.

I will be working normal daytime hours that would require a rush hour commute. In addition I'd have call during the evening, nights and weekends. I really don't want a commute that takes longer than 15-20 min so I know that cuts out everything east of Norwalk. Plus with my call I'd be required to be there within 30 min and can't risk getting stuck in traffic. That's why I wanted to live in Norwalk.

We definitely prefer urban first, suburban second, and no interest in rural. We are coming from a very suburban area where you can't get anywhere without a car. I'd love to be able to walk some places. I really loved what I saw of Norwalk. It seemed like a good combo of urban and suburban.
Norwalk schools aren’t bad. And some are pretty good at the elementary level. It’s the high schools that can be less than ideal. But I would not call them “bad” and lots of people I know turned out pretty good from those schools.

I would say that Fairfield would be the next town that has what you want but with excellent schools.

But yes with bad traffic it could take 30 minutes at rush hour even using back roads.

There’s not a lot of options immediately near Norwalk to meet your needs and be affordable. I think you’re on the right track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 07:14 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Norwalk schools aren’t bad. And some are pretty good at the elementary level. It’s the high schools that can be less than ideal. But I would not call them “bad” and lots of people I know turned out pretty good from those schools.

I would say that Fairfield would be the next town that has what you want but with excellent schools.

But yes with bad traffic it could take 30 minutes at rush hour even using back roads.

There’s not a lot of options immediately near Norwalk to meet your needs and be affordable. I think you’re on the right track.
Norwalk is not that affordable anymore when you hit Milford and Shelton the prices drop. Norwalk schools are like C average.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Norwalk is not that affordable anymore when you hit Milford and Shelton the prices drop. Norwalk schools are like C average.
Norwalk is absolutely affordable compared to surrounding towns in a 15 minute radius...

Old 02-24-2020, 07:09 AM

6,900 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Absolutely, great work BP, per square foot pricing drops dramatically to the tune of $100 or more as you further east.
One zip there is the 5th most expensive in the state, more than mine even. Jay posted a top 10 list of this not long ago in another thread. Another zip has median values in the 6s.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:21 AM

6,900 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Thank you! I'm very excited for my new job and the experience of living in a new place. To answer your questions...

I don't want to send my kids to "bad schools" but they don't have to be top notch. I really believe that half of it lies with the parents and how much they put into it.

I will be working normal daytime hours that would require a rush hour commute. In addition I'd have call during the evening, nights and weekends. I really don't want a commute that takes longer than 15-20 min so I know that cuts out everything east of Norwalk. Plus with my call I'd be required to be there within 30 min and can't risk getting stuck in traffic. That's why I wanted to live in Norwalk.

We definitely prefer urban first, suburban second, and no interest in rural. We are coming from a very suburban area where you can't get anywhere without a car. I'd love to be able to walk some places. I really loved what I saw of Norwalk. It seemed like a good combo of urban and suburban.
Awesome news and congratulations. Its well deserved.
You're going to love it here. I have no doubt.
Lots going on in Stub, CT. Its a wonderful area, the people are great , the food is great.

CTArtist, one of my besties on here, we go way back, gave some great recos on apartments. They're not in the top areas but they're solid and safe.

Elementaries in Norwalk and Stamford have ELL issues.
There are more options for High Schools nowadays. Its not just the Standard ol' Public High School anymore. They will become less relevant over time. Some friends in town send their kids out to Arts and STEAM focused schools up in the Bridgeport area even.
Norwalk High has the P-Tech division where students are focused on STEAM in conjunction with IBM. They can work internships there and gain college credits. Given the importance of AI going forward, these skill sets may be critical in the future. The other HS has an International Studies program. I think these are all terrific.

As always, nothing but the very best.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:32 AM

32 posts, read 13,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Awesome news and congratulations. Its well deserved.
You're going to love it here. I have no doubt.
Lots going on in Stub, CT. Its a wonderful area, the people are great , the food is great.

CTArtist, one of my besties on here, we go way back, gave some great recos on apartments. They're not in the top areas but they're solid and safe.

Elementaries in Norwalk and Stamford have ELL issues.
There are more options for High Schools nowadays. Its not just the Standard ol' Public High School anymore. They will become less relevant over time. Some friends in town send their kids out to Arts and STEAM focused schools up in the Bridgeport area even.
Norwalk High has the P-Tech division where students are focused on STEAM in conjunction with IBM. They can work internships there and gain college credits. Given the importance of AI going forward, these skill sets may be critical in the future. The other HS has an International Studies program. I think these are all terrific.

As always, nothing but the very best.
I really appreciate every bit of advice and congratulations I've received. Norwalk seems to be a welcoming place. I'm confident that we will find a home in our price range. It's great to know my kids will have options for high school too. We're so excited! 3 months to go!

Old 02-24-2020, 01:01 PM

Consider also in a few years you could always look to the New Haven area for your next job just up the coast. Yale New Haven is the biggest health network in the region, so lots of healthcare jobs around there, a more affordable area with less traffic, and lots of affordable towns with good schools you'd love. Plus you seem to be interested in food, and New Haven is the food capital of CT. At that point, if you like the area, you could consider buying.

Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy Norwalk. It's a solid little city.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:32 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,577 times
Congrats! I miss living in Norwalk-I think you will really like it

Old 04-08-2020, 04:23 PM

32 posts, read 13,299 times
Hello again! I'm in the process of finding an apartment to rent. The toughest part about this is I had to cancel my trip to tour places and have to try to find one without seeing it in person. I'm looking at a place near Flax Hill Rd and Taylor. Is that neighborhood okay? I like the proximity to SoNo, just want to make sure it's safe.

Old 04-08-2020, 05:26 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Hello again! I'm in the process of finding an apartment to rent. The toughest part about this is I had to cancel my trip to tour places and have to try to find one without seeing it in person. I'm looking at a place near Flax Hill Rd and Taylor. Is that neighborhood okay? I like the proximity to SoNo, just want to make sure it's safe.
It almost seems like this thread was started two years ago instead of two months ago with what is going on with Covid-19.

I used to work on Van Zant Street over the bridge from Washington Street. I was an Assistant Art Director at a magazine. A lot of the artists lived on or near Flax Hill but I think they lived more west on Flax Hill closer to Darien. I am not positive but I think Flax Hill & Taylor might not be the greatest area.

Tell me this about the apartment.

How many bedrooms
How many bathrooms
Square Footage
Price per month
Is the apartment right on Flax Hill?

I can probably tell you if it is in a safe area or not. Maybe other posters can weigh in on the area of Flax Hill and Taylor. I have this funny feeling you need to go more west on Flax Hill for a better area but I am not positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut