Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 09:29 AM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times

Advertisements

Folks on front porches of mutil families with pot bellys smokin' cigs. Beaten and tattered 80s-90s cars parked on streets and some on front lawns. Relax, Its nothing out of the ordinary guys, a common scene throughtout heavily populated areas around the nation. Its not a new revelation, I haven't unlocked the nuclear codes here.
The Stub has its share in SW Greenwich, lower Stamford, central Norwalk. Hell, even center New Canaan has some shabby homes.

Maybe riff raff was a strong choice of words. I know its perfectly safe crimewise.
Rest assured Proud, I'll be voting for it in the Tournament and believe it will reclaim its rightful spot in the Final Four. I can't wait for April Madness.

Stay proud, Don't Change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 09:32 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
You mentioned something against the Southeastern part of town in another thread. What's your problem with it?
I have also seen him refer to the Fairfield Beach area as unattractive in many parts. So, whatever.

OP, one way to look at it, if you want quiet and low key, Guilford is amazing. If you want the same level of vibrancy as Fairfield, Milford. Something in between, Branford. Though I imagine what you’re looking for as far as House is going to be harder to come by in Guilford.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I have also seen him refer to the Fairfield Beach area as unattractive in many parts. So, whatever.
Knock it off.
I never said it was shabby or riff raff atleast. It just didn't appeal to me when looking at homes there. YMMV

As always, keep up the terrific job you do here. It doesn't go unnoticed.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:17 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Folks on front porches of mutil families with pot bellys smokin' cigs. Beaten and tattered 80s-90s cars parked on streets and some on front lawns. Relax, Its nothing out of the ordinary guys, a common scene throughtout heavily populated areas around the nation. Its not a new revelation, I haven't unlocked the nuclear codes here.
The Stub has its share in SW Greenwich, lower Stamford, central Norwalk. Hell, even center New Canaan has some shabby homes.

Maybe riff raff was a strong choice of words. I know its perfectly safe crimewise.
Rest assured Proud, I'll be voting for it in the Tournament and believe it will reclaim its rightful spot in the Final Four. I can't wait for April Madness.

Stay proud, Don't Change!
Sorry but I know of NO WHERE in Fairfield that is like that and Im pretty sure I know just about every street on that side of town. Cars parked on the street does mean it’s a bad area. And I don’t know of any where the cars are 20 to 40 years old. Are you sure you are thinking of Fairfield? Jay

Old 02-20-2020, 10:26 AM

982 posts, read 599,410 times
Quote:
Hell, even center New Canaan has some shabby homes.

OK. If you think New Canaan is shabby then I don't know if anywhere can meet your standards.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:41 AM

[quote=SteveM85;57381184] Hell, even center New Canaan has some shabby homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

OK. If you think New Canaan is shabby then I don't know if anywhere can meet your standards.
There is a distinct difference between the two in bold.
You're very upset, I get it, but I would appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Old 02-20-2020, 10:42 AM

81 posts, read 79,836 times
If you work from home, don't live in Connecticut.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:12 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You work from home?

Branford.
The whole East of New Haven is perfect for work at home types, Branford very much a solid choice.

Old 02-20-2020, 12:18 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Quote:
No dox, pls

Old 02-20-2020, 01:41 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Hi all

Towards the end of the year, I will start searching for a house. Something small, maybe a cape, in the area of 1500 sq ft. I work from home, so I can technically live anywhere.

I used to live in Fairfield (rented a condo), and would love to move back, but the prices are way high. A cape, 3 bdrm, 1500 sq ft. on a smallish lot is going to run me in the area of $375-425. I can afford that, but I am not sure I want to spend that kind of money.

I currently live in Norwich. A cape, 3 bdrm, 1500 sq ft., is going to run me in the area of $150-165. I don't want to live here permanently, tho

I was passing through Guilford last week, and liked it; it seemed really nice. A cape, 3 bdrm, 1500 sq ft, is going to run me in the area of $250-275. That I could see myself doing

Q is - where else in CT should I search? I would like to see myself in a Fairfield/Guilford type area, spending about $275. I don't really have any requirements, other than I don't want to be too far from the hwy. Thoughts?
I live in a cape that is like your requirements. I am originally from Stamford and wanted to live in Fairfield. Fairfield was a little too expensive so my husband and I bought a cape in Trumbull. I probably won't be able to live in Fairfield County in retirement (taxes are very high) so I have been looking into the area east of New Haven being Branford, Guilford and Madison. I want an affordable coastal town so that is why I am looking east of New Haven.

It seems with the choices of Fairfield and Guilford you would like to live in a coastal town. I might be able to give some suggestions but I have a few questions.

1) Why do you NOT want to live in Norwich?

2) What do you like about Fairfield and Guilford?

3) What is the top budget you would like to spend on a house? It seems like $275,000.

3) I am a graphic artist and computer illustrator. I too worked from home for a time. After about six years I realized I missed being around people. Are you sure you can continue to work from home? If not what type of work do you do? If you have a certain profession and you need to get work out of the home I would want to see you in a good location to get you options for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut