Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:22 AM

7 posts, read 29,031 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My fiance and I should be moving to CT from DC. We are a late 20's couple w/no children. We are looking for the following:

- Small town, trendy (eclectic, mom and pop type shops), good local pubs/bars/restaurants.
- W/in driving distance to New Haven and Groton. She will work in New Haven while I will work in Groton.

I have seen some possibilities, but would like local input on other towns I might be missing.

- Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:10 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
A town that is roughly between New Haven & Groton, which would have many of the attributes as you specified would be either Clinton, Westbrook or Madison- all these towns offer coastal access, high quality of life, smaller mom & pop stores and eateries & shopping.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:23 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,383 times
Anywhere west of Madison would be a long commute to Groton (45+ minutes). Anywhere east of Clinton would be a long commute to New Haven -- and your wife should strongly consider taking the Shore Line East train instead of driving, no matter where you live. I suggest looking at Madison and Clinton. They both offer some "eclectic" local flavor. Clinton is more reasonably priced, and you don't need to be paying for Madison's school system while you don't have kids.

Westbrook, Essex, and Old Saybrook could be good choices but they are a little far from New Haven, and Westbrook might be too small to have the number of "mom and pop" restaurants/pubs/etc that you're looking for -- although you could easily drive 5-10 minutes to neighboring towns when immediate options are lacking.

Last edited by nico7; 04-23-2008 at 01:41 PM..

Old 04-24-2008, 07:32 AM

7 posts, read 29,031 times
Skytrekker and nico7, thanks for the feedback. What about towns further inland, say between Hartford and New Haven? Would that be an unrealistic commute to Groton for me? To me, an unrealistic commute is anything more than 1hr. However, the shorter the better.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:19 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
As you get further inland, the area gets pretty rural in character. Not much in the way of town cneters. You might consider the lower Connecticut River Valley towns of Essex, Deep River, Chester, East Haddam or Haddam. These are small but very beautiful towns. The area is a bit of a tourist area so there are a lot of restaurants. There is a wonderful historic theater in East Haddam (Goodspeed Opera House) that has wonderful shows. It is a very nice area to live in. JMHO Jay

Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,383 times
I don't recommend commuting to Groton from towns on the I-91 corridor. That will push the 1 hour mark. I agree with Jay that Essex and Chester would be good choices if your wife is okay with driving to Old Saybrook or Westbrook in the morning to take the Shore Line East train. This is assuming that your wife will work daytime hours.

Haddam and East Haddam are nice too, but they are even further from New Haven. You could visit those places on a whim, if you were living in Essex or Chester.

Middletown is 45 minutes to Groton without traffic, and probably 25 minutes to New Haven. But it doesn't have the small-town flavor you describe; it's more of a small city.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:41 AM

172 posts, read 577,631 times
friends of mine had that same commute - she worked in milford (just south of new haven) while he was at pfizer in groton. they lived in clinton. while it was the midpoint, they both had pretty long commutes considering the Q Bridge rushhour traffic going to new haven. clinton, madison, westbrook would be my vote based on what you are looking for in a town.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:57 AM

146 posts, read 453,504 times
Alot of people do that split commute. Clinton is probably the halfway point. I have a friend that lives in Old Lyme (beautiful old small town on the CT river). The commute is longer for her into Yale than for her DH into Groton, but since Yale can sometimes be pretty flexible with schedules she was able to work from home one day a week. There is the train option as well, which is great for getting some work done along the way, and again, depending on the boss, that time might count as office time.

Old Saybrook and Westbrook are also good choices. Old Saybrook has more of the quaint downtown as well as ammenties of shopping.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:05 PM

66 posts, read 217,031 times
I moved from D.C. several years ago and wound up in Branford then Madison.

Last edited by JayCT; 05-05-2008 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: No advertising

Old 09-15-2015, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,919 times
I live in groton, my best friend lives in higganum...what town is on the middle w apartments for rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut