Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 08:59 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendace View Post
They had lived in Bethel, Danbury, and Brookfield. So i guess I'm better staying close to the NY border, Milford or Orange? Like I said I dont have to go to NYC offten. I just want the most bang for my buck (property, house size and schools.)
If you're only occasionally commuting to the city, then New Fairfield would be a good choice based on it's proximity to the Southeast train station and the ability to get there without having to take I-84 during rush hour. That said, I would not suggest New Fairfield for a full-time NYC commuter -- during peak hours the train ride from Southeast is ~84 minutes, and the ride to the station is about 15-20 depending on what part of town you're located. So figure a *minimum* 1 hour 45 minute commute just to get to GCT, and then add on the additional time it will take to get from GC to your final destination in the City. Definitely not for the faint of heart....

There is shuttle bus service from NF to the train station -- two bus stops in town with ample parking available: one at the Company A firehouse and the other at the Ball Pond firehouse, which is nice since the bus drops you off/picks you up right at the platform. It adds a little to the drive time to the station, but makes up for it by cutting down on walking time through the parking lot (the Southeast station lot is large, and you would need to park in the far-end visitors section without a parking pass).

A budget of $400K or less will get you a nicely updated raised ranch (new kitchen, baths, etc.) on about an acre -- they typically tend to be listed in the $360K range; a smaller colonial (or a colonial that needs some updating); or cape cod style. You can spend a good deal less as well if you're into fixer-uppers. But for move-in ready, I would say your budget is spot on and more than enough for a nice updated raised ranch or smaller colonial.

Location in NF does matter a great deal, however, because you can quickly become far away from everything -- The northern reaches of town borders the town of Sherman, which is a lovely town, but isn't conveniently located near anything, especially so along Route 39.

Two things to note however: NF residents just recently voted to build a brand new High School and a brand new grammar school. Simultaneously... Serious money -- I believe the estimate was $113 million for the 2 new schools. It's my understanding the existing high school, or a portion of it, will be re-purposed so that the pool can still be used and enjoyed by the community. At least that idea was being floated around, not sure how it will ultimately play out. Consolidated School (which is the first of the two grammar schools in town serving grades K-2) is slated to be demolished and replaced by something they're calling an "Early Learning Academy." Meeting House Hill School (the second grammar school which serves grades 3-5) went through a full renovation within the last few years. There are no current renovation plans for the middle school (6-8th grade). One nice thing to consider -- all of the schools in town are on the same road and for the most part adjacent to one another, starting with the lower grades grammar school grades at the bottom of the hill, working your way up to the high school. It's a very convenient set-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 09:08 AM

11 posts, read 10,300 times
Thanks everyone this is great info. How's New Milford?

Old 03-05-2020, 09:42 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Quote:
It is a big economically diverse town. Schools are around average. I am told there are some concerns about overcrowding in the elementary grades right now, as enrollment has exceeded expectations in the past few years. Per student spending is pretty low and the town has historically been resistant to supplying additional funding to the district. There is, however, a gifted program, which is a differentiator in the area.

Some parents in town choose to pay to send their children to a neighboring district which has small class sizes.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:40 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Nice town. Cheap. Quiet, wooded, but with a lot of strip mall convenience too. Northern part is very scenic and rural feeling. Decent schools, which are probably a step down from all other towns that have been discussed. High school is 5/10 on Great Schools. A family member of mine wasn’t thrilled with schools. Not NYC convenient. Be ready for a 45 minute drive to a decent train station.

Old 03-06-2020, 11:59 AM

11 posts, read 10,300 times
Thanks everyone, I'm getting a lot of good information here that will help us on our journey. I think we might have narrowed our search down significantly. I think I have one last question. How would the commute from Newtown and Sandy Hook to NYC be. Right now on Long Island my train commute is 1.5 hours with the station 2 blocks from my house, I don't mind that time now and willing to go a little longer. Like I've said previous I don't have to go to NYC offten, maybe at best 4 times a month. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:17 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone, I'm getting a lot of good information here that will help us on our journey. I think we might have narrowed our search down significantly. I think I have one last question. How would the commute from Newtown and Sandy Hook to NYC be. Right now on Long Island my train commute is 1.5 hours with the station 2 blocks from my house, I don't mind that time now and willing to go a little longer. Like I've said previous I don't have to go to NYC offten, maybe at best 4 times a month. Thanks in advance.
It would be at least a 30 minute drive to the Southeast NY train station, where the train will take about 2 hours. You could drive to Fairfield, too, if you live in southern Newtown and have a lesser train commute. Door to door, I’d say over 2 hours.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
It is a long haul. Plan on 120-135 minutes, each way, between Newtown and GCT.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It would be at least a 30 minute drive to the Southeast NY train station, where the train will take about 2 hours. You could drive to Fairfield, too, if you live in southern Newtown and have a lesser train commute. Door to door, I’d say over 2 hours.
Harlem line service has improved in the last couple of years, so Southeast to GCT has been running 92-93 minutes for awhile now. I believe the duration of the trip from Fairfield is almost exactly the same.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:10 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Harlem line service has improved in the last couple of years, so Southeast to GCT has been running 92-93 minutes for awhile now. I believe the duration of the trip from Fairfield is almost exactly the same.
Fairfield Express averages about 75-80 minutes.

It has been extended twice in the past year due to track work. This is supposed to be temporary while they catch up on work, such as the positive control update. They used to be consistently 70 minutes on average. And as fast as 65 minutes on the super express.

It almost makes more sense to drive to Fairfield Metro as you can at least count on less traffic.

Either way, a Newtown to GCT commute would be brutal.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:10 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Rush hour trains from southeast are now in 84-86 minute range. And from Brewster 80-83 minutes. Still a long ride but better than it used to be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut