Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 10:31 AM

34,729 posts, read 56,531,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post

What?? Fairfield has 47% forest cover and Milford has 34% (Source: iTree landscape). Fairfield also has over 1,200 acres of town owned open space in addition to numerous holdings by groups such as the Aspetuck Land Trust and the Audubon Society.
I agree. Not to put down Milford but Fairfield is a much prettier town. Milford does not have an area like a Greenfield Hill which covers a good 25% of the town. It also does not have a Southport. As for wooded areas and open space, Fairfield also has Hemlock Reservoir which is a large swath of watershed property in the northeast corner of town. Milford has a lot of neighborhoods of mass produced tract type housing while Fairfield has few, if any of them. Makes a big difference. Jay

Old 05-28-2020, 10:51 AM

21,578 posts, read 27,817,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. Not to put down Milford but Fairfield is a much prettier town. Milford does not have an area like a Greenfield Hill which covers a good 25% of the town. It also does not have a Southport. As for wooded areas and open space, Fairfield also has Hemlock Reservoir which is a large swath of watershed property in the northeast corner of town. Milford has a lot of neighborhoods of mass produced tract type housing while Fairfield has few, if any of them. Makes a big difference. Jay
For me it’s a wash. Milford has a prettier, more varied coast overall, and Milford downtown is prettier than Fairfield center (with harbor, duck ponds, green). But yes Greenfield Hill and Southport are beautiful and nothing in Milford compares to those as far as beautiful upscale historic areas. As far as wooded areas, that’s a wash too, maybe slight edge to Fairfield. Fairfield has more acreage, Lake Mohegan Park, and the reservoir, Milford has Mondo Ponds, Beaver Brook, Eisenhower Park, and large coastal preserves in Silver Sands and Coastal Audubon Center.

Milford only really has one large tract housing area, which is near Silver Sands where dozens of capes were built in post war. Outside of that is a wide range of homes, many more modest than Fairfield in general, although Fairfield has plenty of ho hum housing too.

They are 2 of my favorite towns, but I personally prefer Milford for its coastal beauty alone and down to earth vibe (there’s also a charm to the downtown area and surrounding historic homes), but I totally get why someone would choose Fairfield too. I would expect Milford to be the underdog in that fight, but who knows.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:06 PM

957 posts, read 585,597 times
Don't get me wrong parts of Milford are absolutely gorgeous.

I will also concede that Milford has a longer coastline and more salt marshes - that's just factual information. That being said, much of Milford's coast (from a biogeographic perspective) is very similar - just part of one massive cove beach between Startford point (the Milford portion starts east of the Housatonic) up to Welch's point (although Charles' Island is cool). Woodmont, I do have to say, seems to have a more complex coast. I'll admit I should check it out more.

However, although Milford has more marshes, it's extremely inaccessible. It's almost all islands in the Housatonic River with absolutely no public access.

I've already spoken about the Fairfield marshes at length so I won't say it again.

And then Fairfield stomps in terms of having more wooded area. The only serious amount of wooded space in Milford is Eisenhower Park (which is a very respectable 400 acres). Hoyden's Hill, Grace Richardson, and Lake Mohegan open spaces alone are the same amount of wooded land- yet Fairfield also has Brett Woods, the Larsen Sanctuary, Springer Glen, Perry's Millponds, Penfield Mills, and Mill Hill open spaces.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
I will also concede that Milford has a longer coastline and more salt marshes - that's just factual information. That being said, much of Milford's coast (from a biogeographic perspective) is very similar - just part of one massive cove beach between Startford point (the Milford portion starts east of the Housatonic) up to Welch's point (although Charles' Island is cool). Woodmont, I do have to say, seems to have a more complex coast. I'll admit I should check it out more.
That's just not true – there's quite a bit of variation along that stretch. I have kayaked the whole thing. I would know!

Old 05-28-2020, 03:58 PM

6,646 posts, read 3,585,019 times
I just love the passion exhibited here. It's on full display. You guys are really getting down to the nuts and bolts with reckless abandon. Danny K has really outdone himself here. This thread may be his Magnum Opus.

I like Milford's center better myself. I like that's its not on Rt 1. The nearby marinas are great. I like all coasts, anywhere. Gimme a coast and I'll love it.
I don't like warehouses sprinkled in residential neighborhoods. I'll give Fairfield the edge on dining. I love the FTC. What a great venue.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I just love the passion exhibited here. It's on full display. You guys are really getting down to the nuts and bolts with reckless abandon. Danny K has really outdone himself here. This thread may be his Magnum Opus.

I like Milford's center better myself. I like that's its not on Rt 1. The nearby marinas are great. I like all coasts, anywhere. Gimme a coast and I'll love it.
I don't like warehouses sprinkled in residential neighborhoods. I'll give Fairfield the edge on dining. I love the FTC. What a great venue.
Where are warehouses in residential areas?

Old 05-28-2020, 05:56 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,563,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Danny K has really outdone himself here. This thread may be his Magnum Opus.
Thank you so much for the shoutout Steve!!! I gotta say I consider this thread and all the other previous tournament threads a Magnum Opus for me! Anytime people ask me what are some interesting things that you do or passionate accomplished achievements? I always mention these tournaments and that I do a CT Town Tournament every 2 years!

Old 05-28-2020, 07:18 PM

6,646 posts, read 3,585,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Thank you so much for the shoutout Steve!!! I gotta say I consider this thread and all the other previous tournament threads a Magnum Opus for me! Anytime people ask me what are some interesting things that you do or passionate accomplished achievements? I always mention these tournaments and that I do a CT Town Tournament every 2 years!
Keep up the great work. It doesn't go unnoticed.

All the best

Old 05-28-2020, 10:08 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,563,929 times
Deadline is at 8:00pm tonight everyone! Be sure to get all those last minute votes in today!

Old 05-28-2020, 10:20 PM

34,729 posts, read 56,531,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Where are warehouses in residential areas?
When Milford set up its zoning, the town zoned all land along the railroad tracks, New a Haven and Waterbury lines, as industrial. These areas though are not necessarily accessible to highways. You have to drive through residential areas to get from I-95 to the Bic Drive/Plains Road/Oronoque Road industrial area. Quirk Road has residential on one side and industrial on the other. Streets off Naugatuck Avenue have commercial and industrial buildings mixed with residential. It seems a little haphazard. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut