Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2020, 01:10 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Wow thanks! Love to see the #1 in its rightful spot
Madison at #2 and Guilford at #3 are no shockers to me. Old Saybrook makes sense with how popular it is in the tournament, but for me personally it's like #8 or 9 I think.

The suprises:
- Go Milford! I had no idea it was that highly ranked. But it deserves it with its beaches and amenities.
- I'm shocked to see Branford only at #10. BGM charm but it also is closest to New Haven and has more amenities itself. For me it's easy top 5
- Additionally I'm shocked that Litchfield is so competitive (beating Westport, East Lyme, Essex, etc). It's beautiful, obviously, but wow!
- I'm shocked WeHa is so low! Only 15, but (more crazily to me), losing to Farmington and Glastonbury?
- I'm sort of surprised Stamford is so high (due to its perceived lack of character), but I guess it makes sense given the city's success and insane NYC proximity (along with North Stamford).
- Finally how in the world is Wallingford above Kent?
West Hartford has lots of amenities. Per capita, it seems like the restaurant capital of the world. But to me it's not a particularly beautiful town. Too congested. Parks are kind of mediocre. The reservoir is kind of nice but that's it. Glastonbury has many of the same amenities but it's more beautiful. Nice park on the river. Nice farms. I would also say people seem a little more down to earth. I know both towns have a reputation for snootiness but I think it's much worse in WeHa. GBury still retains a certain east of the river character--even if it's of the more upscale variety.

Old 06-07-2020, 01:29 PM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Wow thanks! Love to see the #1 in its rightful spot
Madison at #2 and Guilford at #3 are no shockers to me. Old Saybrook makes sense with how popular it is in the tournament, but for me personally it's like #8 or 9 I think.

The suprises:
- Go Milford! I had no idea it was that highly ranked. But it deserves it with its beaches and amenities.
- I'm shocked to see Branford only at #10. BGM charm but it also is closest to New Haven and has more amenities itself. For me it's easy top 5
- Additionally I'm shocked that Litchfield is so competitive (beating Westport, East Lyme, Essex, etc). It's beautiful, obviously, but wow!
- I'm shocked WeHa is so low! Only 15, but (more crazily to me), losing to Farmington and Glastonbury?
- I'm sort of surprised Stamford is so high (due to its perceived lack of character), but I guess it makes sense given the city's success and insane NYC proximity (along with North Stamford).
- Finally how in the world is Wallingford above Kent?
In the greater Hartford area, it’s pretty much agreed that there are five top tier suburbs: West Hartford, Farmington, Avon, Simsbury and Glastonbury. It is arguable which is best. West Hartford is great but ts not for everyone. While it’s diverse and has a great town center, it’s also sort of urban and can be noisy. Though it has excellent schools, amenities and services, taxes are high.

Avon is the most affluent of these towns which can be good and bad. Farmington is more middle class, has good schools and lower taxes but it also can be hard to get to with significant traffic congestion. Simsbury is also great with good schools and beautiful quite areas. All three of these though are in the Farmington River Valley which is hard to get to from major employment centers.

Glastonbury has much of what the other towns do (good schools, diversity, nice town center, beautiful quite neighborhoods, etc,.) but is a bit more accessable with Route 2 taking commuters directly into downtown Hartford. It’s also not far from I-91, I-84 and I-384 so it offers good access to most of greater Hartford. It’s all this that helps give it an edge in rankings. Jay

Old 06-07-2020, 01:53 PM

6,903 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Darien is not really that special of a town to be honest with not a lot to offer. The only thing it really has going for is that it is arguably the second ritziest town in CT after Greenwich. People in Darien are extremely prideful and look down on the middle and working class people. Extremely unfriendly residence, and not welcoming at all. Downtown is very ordinary and beaches are mediocre at very best. I'd say that is mainly why it is not that popular and doesn't get a lot of love on here.

Much of the same things can be said about Greenwich, but at least Greenwich is a lot bigger in size and does have some beautiful and pretty areas. Also beaches are definitely better there than Darien. Downtown is a little better there as well, and while much of the residence are unfriendly in Greenwich too, it is a little more diverse of a town, and has more to offer and more going for it. Although Greenwich is still not as popular as one might expect it to be on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
On paper it’s a great town. Amazing schools, proximity to NYC, walkable downtown, coastal, safe.

For me it’s just kind of a generic wealthy east coast town. There’s nothing particularly charming about it, the downtown is very nice but also could be literally any upscale downtown in America, and the coast is not very accessible.

My opinion on the attitudes and the people in the town, I will keep to myself.

Have you fellas actually ever lived in Darien? or is that just throwing the stereotype stones. I mean actually live there, as in getting to really know people whether it be neighbors, through kids schools and the like, not just "well I worked there once and encountered a few people while out to lunch" or "I heard about it".
It's actually welcoming and unwelcoming as Fairfield and Milford.
Many middle and working class aren't without their faults in terms of attitudes and rude behavior. Its been duly noted here on the CT Forum how their teenaged offspring behave in malls (ie Milford). The apples don't fall far from the trees.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:22 PM

2,180 posts, read 1,641,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
West Hartford has lots of amenities. Per capita, it seems like the restaurant capital of the world. But to me it's not a particularly beautiful town. Too congested. Parks are kind of mediocre. The reservoir is kind of nice but that's it. Glastonbury has many of the same amenities but it's more beautiful. Nice park on the river. Nice farms. I would also say people seem a little more down to earth. I know both towns have a reputation for snootiness but I think it's much worse in WeHa. GBury still retains a certain east of the river character--even if it's of the more upscale variety.
I definitely agree, although I have never experienced any snootiness that I remember in either of those towns though. Many working class people live in both towns, and they are much more affordable than the NYC metropolitan area of Fairfield County.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post

Have you fellas actually ever lived in Darien? or is that just throwing the stereotype stones. I mean actually live there, as in getting to really know people whether it be neighbors, through kids schools and the like, not just "well I worked there once and encountered a few people while out to lunch" or "I heard about it".
Many middle and working class aren't without their faults in terms of attitudes and rude behavior. Its been duly noted here on the CT Forum how their teenaged offspring behave in malls (ie Milford). The apples don't fall far from the trees.
Steve, No I have not lived there, but have been there a number of times for business. I have heard a lot about snootiness there on this forum, and plus I have experienced it a bit myself. Almost any time I go into a shop or restaurant and have a short conversation with staff there, they ask where are you from, and I tell them Fairfield, and then they start saying Fairfield is for the lower middle class people, we here at Darien are the rich and upscale people, or something similar to that. I'm like, seriously guys? Why are people there very prideful about their salaries or rich style of life? It is absolutely unbelievable.

I have had this happen to me a quite a bit in Greenwich as well, but overall Greenwich is way more diverse than Darien and while most of it is probably slightly even more upscale than Darien, I feel the diversity makes people a little more friendly towards others, and while there is still a lot of pride there, at least in my experience they are more quiet about it and don't brag out loud so much.

Old 06-07-2020, 03:30 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:

I didn’t say anything about the people. I have several friends and colleagues in Darien.

As far as Milford mall teenager bad behavior, very few of those kids are from Milford...

Old 06-07-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
As far as Milford mall teenager bad behavior, very few of those kids are from Milford...
Is there any even any Mall in the country where you won't find this? I have shopped at so many malls not just in the state but in the whole country, and there are always very mischievous teenagers here and there getting into things they shouldn't, LOL.

Old 06-07-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
they ask where are you from, and I tell them Fairfield, and then they start saying Fairfield is for the lower middle class people, we here at Darien are the rich and upscale people.

Gimme a break Dan

Old 06-07-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I didn’t say anything about the people. I have several friends and colleagues in Darien.

Doesn't matter. The attitudes and behavior of some middle and working class can be just as offputting as rich snobs.

Old 06-07-2020, 04:12 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter. The attitudes and behavior of some middle and working class can be just as offputting as rich snobs.
No one would argue that. I prefer dogs generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut