Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 02:47 PM

1,366 posts, read 994,885 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the lame-arse thread title, but I couldn't think how to quickly summarize this.

Whole Tone Guitars in Glastonbury. As I live in Norwich, it's not right down the street from me. I do however, make a once-a-month trip to WFoods in G, and a butcher in East Hampton, which is on the way. I dropped off a guitar for some minor repair work at the end Of Jan. The luthier, Mike, who was very nice, told me he had a lead time of at least 2 mos, due to the backlog of work. And I did see the work piled up in the store. Ok, no prob. I chatted with the owner for a bit as he typed up my receipt; he too was very nice.

With the understanding that the store probably has limited hours now, if it's even opened at all, I called to inquire about the guitar. Here's where I am at.

I called the store several times over three days during business hours; the phone is answered by a machine, but the vm box is full, and I cant leave a message.

I sent a message to them via FB three days ago, that has gone unanswered.

The website - http://wholetoneguitars.com - is not active as the domain has expired (this is the one that's really got me).

I called the hosting co. to see how long it's been expired; it's a little over a week.

I called the bankruptcy court in CT on Friday and inquired as to whether or not the business has filed for bankruptcy; they have not.

I checked the CT DRS Concord site; it lists the business as active.

I went to the store, and it's closed. Permanently, or temp - I have no idea. The store is still stocked, and it seems as tho there have been some boxes that have been delivered but unopened.

A number of things could have happened.

The owner could be sick, or a family member could be (hope not), and he temporarily has his mind on things other than his business. He could simply be on vacay, and forgot to renew the domain (would be a weird thing to forget, if this is your livelihood). Maybe something else I am not thinking of?

What do I do here?

Do I file suit in small claims court - which might do nothing more than get their attention? And if that's all it does, and I get the guitar back without incident, I would have to withdraw the suit, and would then be out $95 (not the worst thing in the world, but...)

Do I go to the owner's house and knock on his door? (I have the address from the DRS site) That's a pretty extreme measure, and I would think that should be only a last resort, but should that still be on the table?

Do I continue to wait, and if so, for how long? It's not that I mind waiting; I don't. If I don't see the guitar until next year - that's fine. I will have it for the rest of my life. The fear is that the owner has decided this is the right time to close the business for good, and that I will never see the guitar again, and that I need to act now and fast.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 03:23 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,316 times
Since you have his address, I'd send him a USPS letter, with a self addressed, stamped envelope in it (for his reply) and a note telling him how worried you are and asking him to write you back to let you know the status of your guitar. Of course, also give him your phone and email. And tell him his VM is full. Maybe address it to his name/business name.. so if he is not available, someone else who knows what's going on will open it and hopefully reply.

You could mail your letter "return receipt requested" if you want so you will have documented delivery.

Good luck. It's probably just closed up bc of virus, but you're correct to follow up.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:57 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Yeah I'd have to think they're just closed b/c of the virus. But a two month waiting time for guitar repair? That is a little weird. I've never had to wait for more than a couple weeks. But I never took a guitar in there when I lived in GBury so maybe that's normal for them.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:08 AM

USPS letter return receipt requested - that is a good idea I did not think of. Will do that Mon.

Thanks both!

Old 04-05-2020, 07:49 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times
Many businesses could be handling this better. In the last few weeks I've had previously reliable folks just drop off the radar. Accountant, banker, attorney, contractor. Calls, emails go unanswered.
While I realize work has dropped off considerably it's not zero.
One contractor who made an appointment with me to come to my house just blew me off after a 22 yr history of being very reliable.

Ok rant over

Old 04-05-2020, 08:01 PM

696 posts, read 703,619 times
Yeah. My husband has a dentist appointment scheduled for the tenth, but we hadn’t heard anything about whether the office was closed. He called a week or so ago to reschedule and only got a message to stay on the line if it’s an emergency.

A couple of days later, I received a text that they were closed until April 6th. This weekend, I received one saying that they’re closed until April 22nd. Nobody ever contacted my husband, though. They could’ve done a better job notifying people, at least those with appointments during their closure.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:33 AM

6,907 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Yeah I'd have to think they're just closed b/c of the virus. But a two month waiting time for guitar repair? That is a little weird. I've never had to wait for more than a couple weeks. But I never took a guitar in there when I lived in GBury so maybe that's normal for them.
is it valuable? a strat, SG or Les Paul? I'd be going to the guy's house

Old 04-06-2020, 12:46 PM

It's an '81 LP Custom in almost mint cond. I know how to tell a fake, but still, I actually sent the info to Gibson to make sure it was legit, it was in such good shape when I bought it late last year.

Sent a letter today, we'll see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
How to handle this situation?-lp-1.jpg  

Old 04-07-2020, 04:50 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
It's an '81 LP Custom in almost mint cond. I know how to tell a fake, but still, I actually sent the info to Gibson to make sure it was legit, it was in such good shape when I bought it late last year.

That's a beauty. I don't blame you for being a little concerned. But again, I have to think they still have it but it's been derailed by the virus like everything else.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:38 PM

6,907 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post

Beautiful. Get that back ASAP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut