Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 07:15 PM

13 posts, read 7,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
WOW, honestly I love the area of Barkhamsted and Hartland a lot!!! One of the most beautiful areas in the state, although there are many, LOL.

Technically, I LOVE forests in general, and there is a huge Forest that runs right through Barkhamsted and Hartland, and in fact most of that area is very Forest like.

However, OP are you looking to live there or move there, or are you just curious? I was just wondering because you specify that you saw a property but weren't clear if you wanted to buy that or not. Because if you are looking to move there, just know that it is an extremely rural area with not much amenities. Although if you are driving, you are not too far from the whole area of Avon, Farmington, and West Hartford which should have most if not all you need, but it is a good 10 miles at the very least. As much as I LOVE the area, I'm not sure if I could ever live there because I just do not really like to drive 15+ miles everyday for everything. But it is a very pretty town!
I am considering purchasing the property. I've lived in the city all my life in tall buildings and heavy traffic. It has made want to enjoy nature and everything it has to offer. So I guess over-correction is not unusual coming from one extreme so I don't mind the forest. I also work from home so commute to work or other towns is primarily irrelevant. I also have very young kids so I would have at least 10-15 years before becoming an empty nester. But based on the comments, only thing that bothers me is potential bears running onto my property and scaring the daylights out of us. I wouldn't know what to do about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 08:48 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,641,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JemJem View Post
I am considering purchasing the property. I've lived in the city all my life in tall buildings and heavy traffic. It has made want to enjoy nature and everything it has to offer. So I guess over-correction is not unusual coming from one extreme so I don't mind the forest. I also work from home so commute to work or other towns is primarily irrelevant. I also have very young kids so I would have at least 10-15 years before becoming an empty nester. But based on the comments, only thing that bothers me is potential bears running onto my property and scaring the daylights out of us. I wouldn't know what to do about that.
If you really like the nature, then I say go for it. Not really sure about the bears because I've never really lived in a place where that was an issue. Sorry I can't really help you there, but otherwise it is a really nice place and if you enjoy nature, I highly recommend it!

Which city do you currently live in by the way? I was gonna say that if you are really worried about the bears, you can try looking for places in Middlesex County along the Connecticut river. The nature is also amazing in that area as well. I wouldn't say it is as Forest heavy as Barkhamsted or Hartland, but there are some Forests around those areas as well. Check out Northern Guilford and Northern Madison as well. The northern parts of those towns are fairly rural as well with great nature but a lot closer to amenities. Not quite sure about the bears problem, but my guess is there are not nearly as many bears in those areas as there are in Barkhamsted and Hartland. Also if you move to Middlesex County, or the northern parts of Guilford or Madison, you'll be a lot closer to amenities in proximity and also much closer to the beach if you are interested in that.

Old 04-07-2020, 04:40 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,595 times
If there are bears just stay inside. They are more scared of you than you are of them.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:57 AM

640 posts, read 2,012,444 times
The Farmington River up there is a blue ribbon trout stream. Dad and I still fish it when I get back to CT. Also, my friends would get Caldor floating rafts and float down the river in the summertime..lots of fun. Ski Rundown (Sundown) is a great little hill for night skiing as well..the Gunbarrel chair lift used to have liquor bottles on the ground as you went up the hill...hence the Rundown moniker. Probably not anymore..

Old 04-07-2020, 10:19 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
If you are coming from a dense urban area, I’m not sure it’s a good idea to move to such a rural area. It will be too severe of a difference. You should consider trying a more suburban area to see if it suits you. There are many great areas to consider. A good one might be in the nearby Farmington River Valley towns of Farmington, Avon, Simsbury, Burlington, Canton or Granby. They will have more people, services and conveniences but will still have the nature and greenery you love. Jay

Old 04-07-2020, 11:27 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,547 times
In addition to the lack of services and retail, you would be very isolated in Barkhamsted and may find it very lonely, especially working from home. To begin with, it can be difficult to meet people and make friends in CT, but if you rarely interact with other people, it would be even more of a challenge. There are wooded areas of other small towns with more community involvement available.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:12 PM

837 posts, read 2,082,917 times
Quote:
JayCT, don't know how long you've lived in CT but you seem to know EVERY single town/city, nook & crany in CT. Thanks for your insights as usual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Thank you. I lived most of my life here with a few stints in a couple other states. Ive always been fascinated by real estate, social sciences, local history and communities. I like to research different places to see what they are like to live in. My career has taken me all over our state so I know many different towns here. Also for some reason, this stuff sticks in my mind so I’m able to use it here when people like you ask questions here. Good luck, Jay
I echo JemJem's comments!

I've lived in CT for 23 years and have never heard of Barkhamsted! Had to Google it just to learn more about the town. Though I suppose it can't be that off-the-beaten-path if they have a Stop & Shop, 9 screen cinema, and 20 min drive to Bradley Airport.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:31 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
Barkhamsted is very rural and will feel pretty disconnected from civilization, while being generally closer to civilization than places like the Catskills or Berkshires.

The Stop and Shop and movie theater are on the very edge of town, practically in Winsted. Most big box shopping would be done 20-25 minutes down the road in Torrington, which is also the location of the closest hospital.

It is not far from the airport, but the drive is almost entirely on two-lane roads - very scenic though

Old 04-07-2020, 04:53 PM

13 posts, read 7,093 times
Thanks for feedback everyone. I also realized I forgot to paste the link to the house

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M41568-81875

Old 04-07-2020, 05:44 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,641,303 times
Quote:
Thanks for feedback everyone. I also realized I forgot to paste the link to the house

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M41568-81875
OK looking at that house on the map, you are in one of the lesser rural parts of Barkhamsted, closer to the amenities near Winchester, but pretty much all of Barkhamsted is rural anyway. Honestly if you are absolutely sure you can handle the change and difference, I say go for it, but as others have pointed out, especially Jay, in that you might not be realizing how big of a change and adjustment this may be. Especially because not only is Barkhamsted rural, it is kind of way out there and not really that close to even any major suburban town, let alone city. You'll find a few basic things like Stop & Shop just down the road in Winchester, but other than the very basic things, you will likely need to drive into either Torrington or Avon, West Hartford or Farmington, which is like at least 11 miles from the house you listed. If you are fine with that then go for it, but just trying to warn you.

Also as others pointed out, it might be really hard to connect with others there as well, not sure how important that is for you, but keep that in mind.

However I do have to say that that house is very huge, and the price you are getting it for is honestly very good for Connecticut, even for Barkhamsted. I have some friends that paid more than that for a house that is 1000 sq ft smaller then the one you listed in one of the rural areas outside Orlando, Florida, so money wise it is a very good deal. One thing is are you sure it's still on the market? Because it said that the listening has been removed.

One more thing, not sure if this would bother you or not but it appears the house is right off of Rt. 44 which is a busy street, and you might be hearing many cars go by at night. Might be noisy for you. Just a thought.

Anyway let me know if you have any more questions and tell us if you decide to get it or not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut