Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 04:02 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,314,767 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating from the Philadelphia area to either NYS or CT in the near future. It seems right now CT has an edge over NYS with respect to some of the things we are looking for.

Job market and commute are not significant issues due to the nature of our move, so you can mostly skip this topic.

Would like forum members feedback on the following:

Activities indoor and outdoor - liked what I saw about Hammonasset Beach State Park. How is it in the summer? Looks like there were some waves, based on youtube videos. Not sure if it gets better based on high tide, etc.
Other than the beach -- Would like to hear of any interesting activities you do!

We are considering moving to the greater Hartford metropolitan area. This would also give us access to Boston and NYC for leisure activities. And cost of living will likely be lower.

Taxes, especially property taxes - how does it generally compare to NYS?

Safety - since there are 169 towns in CT, and the even the larger towns are not so heavily populated, I am guessing the bad areas are easy to avoid.

UConn for undergrad - our younger son will be in high school soon, and he is not sure what he would major in. UConn being a comprehensive Univ, it will probably be a good fit for him. How do Conn residents regard their in-state Univ?

I assume CT weather (being coastal) is a bit better than upstate NY?

Please add your favorite advantage/disadvantage topic as well!
---
City-data was hugely helpful when we made the move to Pennsylvania about 6 years back, and it was overall a successful move. Looking for the same with this next move. Thanks very much for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 04:09 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Well the big advantage, and it's a big one, homes and property taxes are dirt cheap in CT (non Stub areas) compared to lower NYS. Income taxes are lower too.
NYS ocean beaches on the south shore of the Island are better, a lot better. CT beaches are much smaller and more of a lake style though with salt water. Not a ton of waves unless the wind is blowing hard. Great for BBQ, picnics, walking and suntanning (it uses the same sun as LI). Not so much for swim and surf.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:20 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I will be relocating from the Philadelphia area to either NYS or CT in the near future. It seems right now CT has an edge over NYS with respect to some of the things we are looking for.

Job market and commute are not significant issues due to the nature of our move, so you can mostly skip this topic.

Would like forum members feedback on the following:

Activities indoor and outdoor - liked what I saw about Hammonasset Beach State Park. How is it in the summer? Looks like there were some waves, based on youtube videos. Not sure if it gets better based on high tide, etc.
Other than the beach -- Would like to hear of any interesting activities you do!

We are considering moving to the greater Hartford metropolitan area. This would also give us access to Boston and NYC for leisure activities. And cost of living will likely be lower.

Taxes, especially property taxes - how does it generally compare to NYS?

Safety - since there are 169 towns in CT, and the even the larger towns are not so heavily populated, I am guessing the bad areas are easy to avoid.

UConn for undergrad - our younger son will be in high school soon, and he is not sure what he would major in. UConn being a comprehensive Univ, it will probably be a good fit for him. How do Conn residents regard their in-state Univ?

I assume CT weather (being coastal) is a bit better than upstate NY?

Please add your favorite advantage/disadvantage topic as well!
---
City-data was hugely helpful when we made the move to Pennsylvania about 6 years back, and it was overall a successful move. Looking for the same with this next move. Thanks very much for your input!

Welcome to Connecticut and Southern New England !!

Connecticut is cheaper than New York state in term of sale taxes, income taxes, property taxes. Hammonasset Beach State Park is nice beach not Florida but pretty good there little waves if there really bad storms near the beach or it windy day. It is crowded with families, young adults, older people the beaches are nice in Guilford, Old Saybrook also. Connecticut can get cold in winter time but not cold as Upstate New York but it is colder than Philly area.

CT major cities like Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, Waterbury has some rough areas just like any city there also good areas in those cities but the schools are not as good nearby suburbs.

Since moving to Hartford area I suggest towns like Wethersfield, Newington, Farmington, Southington, Rocky Hill there some diversity, good schools, low crime.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:32 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,383 times
What is your target price range?

For the Hartford area, you will find that West Hartford, Glastonbury, Avon and Farmington are popular recommendations here (there may be others...). They are not very convenient to Hammonassett, but I think that would be an occasional trip for you. If you want to be near the water, the towns east of New Haven (Branford and eastward) are good choices for a family with a high school student.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:32 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Pluses: Amazing food/pizza, great breweries, abundance of parks/beaches/green spaces, historic architecture and town centers with New England charm.

Sounds like you are more interested in coastal areas? Not sure if you're looking for an area/town recommendation.

Do you want a quieter or more lively place? City or small town, or in-between? Budget? Buying or renting? I can highly recommend the coastal area from Milford to Madison. It is quieter east of New Haven, more bustling west of New Haven. Being near New Haven has a lot of benefits, and the towns are great.

Old 04-14-2020, 05:37 PM

Thanks a lot for the comments, mostly positive! Thanks for the suggestions provided in terms of towns. Will ask more details about specific towns later. My hope is that we would buy something not too expensive, and then never have to sell for downsizing etc. Our older is already in college, and the younger one will be in high school when we move.

Still hoping to hear negative comments from folks who have left the state, or want to! Just to balance it out. Looking for comments about what could possibly go wrong!

In the 90s, I did an internship for a year in CT (half way between Bridgeport and Hartford). I lived with friends in Bridgeport near the Univ for 6 mos and in a Hartford high rise for 6 mos. It was the snow storm of Jan 96! I returned to Georgia after that internship, and moved to PA 5 years back. I have grown more accustomed to and appreciative of winter, and realize it is a matter of management more than anything!

Not really looking for coastal communities, an hour away from the coast like the Hartford area is should be fine. And yes, going to the state park beach will be an occasional activity. I realize the Long Island beaches on the south shore are more desirable.

We are Asian Indian, have lived in the US for more than 25 years, and don't really need heavy Indian community presence. But some diversity would be nice. I think central CT will probably be mostly lacking in diversity, but it is alright.

Please keep the encouragement (and discouragement too) coming! Thanks!

Old 04-14-2020, 05:43 PM

What are some advantages/disadvantages associated with having 169 towns, and no county governement? Is it generally considered a positive?

Old 04-14-2020, 05:46 PM

Among the negatives that I read about previously was the fiscal hole the state is in due to previous administration etc. Media always exaggerates, but I am sure there is some truth. Is it a manageable problem?

Old 04-14-2020, 06:04 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
What are some advantages/disadvantages associated with having 169 towns, and no county governement? Is it generally considered a positive?
More beneficial to towns that are upper middle class or above (lower taxes, high quality education). Less beneficial to cities (they don’t get the same level of help). Also administrative costs are higher since there’s no county level consolidation. But that also means towns have more freedom.

One negative is traffic in some areas, particularly Fairfield County from Fairfield to Stamford on 95/15. Some of the worst traffic in the country there. It’s not nearly as bad in other parts of the state.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:31 PM

980 posts, read 597,917 times
Maybe (if you like the coast and need to be in the Hartford area) Glastonbury? It's a nice Hartford suburb that has route 2, which goes to Norwich (and thefore East Lyme/ New London). That puts you by Harkness, Bluff Point, and Mystic/Stoningnton in 45 mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut