Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 12:32 PM

16 posts, read 21,643 times

Advertisements

We moved to CT from NY in 2018. When we 1st got here, I noticed an increase in monthly payments for our leased car of about $20 dollars. I called the leasing company Chase and they said the increase was to cover the property tax for the vehicle. Fast forward 2 years and now Chase is sending me a property tax bill for the whole year of 2019 for the car. I called Chase and they are saying that the $20 dollar increase in monthly payment that I was paying was in fact for CT sales tax. I leased the car in NY and when I did that, NY sales tax was already calculated into my monthly payment. Can someone clarify why I have to pay state sales taxes again in CT when I am already paying for the state sales tax in NY? Or does Chase need to credit me the portion of the monthly payment that was to cover for NY sales tax?

- CT newbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 01:08 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,428,667 times
I'm no expert,but on my 2nd leased vehicle in Ct through Chase. I've always gotten the bill in August to pay them as they paid the town in advance. It's always been separate than the figures I made with the dealerships.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:17 PM

487 posts, read 536,445 times
Assuming the vehicle was re registered in CT after the move? The registration form may have been improperly filled out not exempting you from sales tax if they are indeed now charging you CT sales tax.

https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Tax-Questi...-Registrations

Old 04-16-2020, 04:10 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
If you're payment went up when you moved into CT, I'm guessing the sales tax rate in CT is higher than what you paid in NY. Yes, they sales tax may change if you move between states.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:59 PM

16 posts, read 21,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
Assuming the vehicle was re registered in CT after the move? The registration form may have been improperly filled out not exempting you from sales tax if they are indeed now charging you CT sales tax.

https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Tax-Questi...-Registrations
Davwve,

I think you are right. I don't remember filling out part 5 of the form. I thought that part was for property tax exemption for the vehicle. It didn't occur to me that I would be charged CT sales tax on a car that I leased from NY. Thank you all for your help. It all makes sense now.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:31 AM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
I really think it's the difference is in sales tax rates between the states. You are now paying sales tax on the lease in CT, not NY. The lease holder has to pay that tax to the state you are in now. If you moved to NH, you wouldn't pay any tax now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut