U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 06:12 PM

58 posts, read 184,837 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Connecticut,
I want somewhere...thats safe of course, has a nice community, and of course stores, and resturants, and malls, and good schools!.
I heard the suburbs are more affordable and nice. How's New Millford? and Waterford I heard there nice?

Last edited by valene1992; 04-26-2008 at 06:47 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 07:17 PM

32,504 posts, read 51,376,720 times
Connecticut has some of the most beautiful places to live in the country. The schools are considered to be among the best and life here is generally quite. Most suburbs do not have large subdivisions of look-a-like tract houses but rather smaller more neighborhood like streets developed over a longer period of time. New Milford is a small town in rolling hills of Litchfield County. There is a nice small downtown with some charming small shops and restaurants. Waterford is a small shoreline community that is sort of part suburb of New London/Groton; part seashore resort and part rural town. It is located in eastern Connecticut. These towns are pretty different in feel and character as well as pretty far apart (at least by Connecitcut standards). Jay

Old 04-26-2008, 09:58 PM

246 posts, read 836,500 times
Life in CTs suburbs is, as JayCT said, quiet and safe with very good schools. Some districts will perform better than others but when compared nationally, they are all excellent.

As for affordable, it depends on where you're coming from. I wouldn't call CT an affordable state, but eastern CT (east of the CT river) is much more affordable than western CT due to close proximity to NYC. If you're comparing CT to parts of CA, then yes, it's very affordable (with the exception of southern Fairfield County). But if you're from any part of the south or Midwest, you will probably find that CT is pretty pricey, or at least on par with the more expensive areas of these regions.

I saw your post regarding Stamford. If you're looking for affordable, Stamford isn't it. Southern Fairfield County (Stamford/Norwalk area) is one of the most expensive areas to live in the country.

Again if you're looking for affordable in CT, look at eastern CT. The eastern Hartford suburbs are nice with very much to offer. Keep in mind that taxes here are very high. Family of mine recently moved to Richmond, VA and said their taxes are 1/3 of what they paid in CT.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:44 AM

5,065 posts, read 15,217,702 times
I see from all your posts since you have joined CD you are considering many states to live in. You mentioned you will be earning approximately 30k a year; you would definitely need to consider northeastern Ct. on that salary if you wish to buy. Of course you would need a down payment, though. Maybe you could get a condo or small house there. Northeastern Ct. is very beautiful, but it is more rural compared to the rest of the state. That appeals to me, but if you are fresh out of college you might be looking for an area with more nightlife.

Or maybe you meant when you stated your "budget" was 30k, that you could only spend 30k on a home? In that case, you won't find any condo or home, anywhere in Ct., for that amount. As kidyankee pointed out, Ct. is pricey.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:06 AM

4,461 posts, read 7,327,387 times
All previous posts are correct- even eastern CT can be pricey compared to many other areas of the country- although smaller condo's for a younger person can be purchased for under 100K, throughout eastern CT.

Taxes for real estate can be high, especially for larger homes and condo's. So with 30K as an income and 10% down on a 90K 'starter condo' your mortgage without condo fee ?? and taxes of about $140 a month is likely to be $500- a month. or at least $900-1000 a month, including the other expenses.

Connecticut as the others have alluded too is a nice place to live- but it can be more expensive then most places in the Midwest outside of greater Chicago, and just about the same as the Twin Cities -compared to Hartford eastern suburbs and exurbs.

On the positive side; Central CT is far cheaper then the Boston area, greater NYC, LI and northern NJ- the Washington DC area, California, Portland Or, Miami- Ft. Lauderdale and Seattle WA.

Last edited by skytrekker; 04-27-2008 at 06:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut