Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 10:09 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Doesnt the Census do these estimates by comparing the number of tax forms (and how many people are on them) to that of lrevious years. I know its not perfect though (some people make too little to fill out a tax form, others evade their taxes, etc.)
This is an estimate which means there is a margin of error. Only an actual census count is fully accurate. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 12:32 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,721 times
I'm oddly curious as to why Waterbury still has a population of over 100,000. As a matter of fact, I'm even more confused as to why Waterbury never lost population post-1950 like other cities did. I thought it had an industry collapse?

Old 07-06-2020, 04:45 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I'm oddly curious as to why Waterbury still has a population of over 100,000. As a matter of fact, I'm even more confused as to why Waterbury never lost population post-1950 like other cities did. I thought it had an industry collapse?
This is what I think it might be. Also why all the cities in Ct will never really lose a lot of population.

A lot of New Yorkers come and buy weekend getaway houses in CT. They can afford to buy them in the wealthier and middle class suburbs. So now you have the poor and working class in CT who are in service jobs. Where are they suppose to live in CT with all this wealth here. They have to move to the poorer cities where the house and rental prices are lower.

I meet quite a few people from Waterbury that work* in the Bridgeport area (I live in Trumbull). The poor and working class are being pushed out of Fairfield County so a lot of them go live in the Route 8 towns. I have neighbors in Trumbull that move to some of the lower middle class Route 8 towns because the cost of living is getting so high here. I am sure they are displacing the poor and working class in those towns and they have to move further up still to places like Waterbury.

*They work in retail & the service jobs etc.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:05 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
This is what I think it might be. Also why all the cities in Ct will never really lose a lot of population.

A lot of New Yorkers come and buy weekend getaway houses in CT. They can afford to buy them in the wealthier and middle class suburbs. So now you have the poor and working class in CT who are in service jobs. Where are they suppose to live in CT with all this wealth here. They have to move to the poorer cities where the house and rental prices are lower.

I meet quite a few people from Waterbury that work* in the Bridgeport area (I live in Trumbull). The poor and working class are being pushed out of Fairfield County so a lot of them go live in the Route 8 towns. I have neighbors in Trumbull that move to some of the lower middle class Route 8 towns because the cost of living is getting so high here. I am sure they are displacing the poor and working class in those towns and they have to move further up still to places like Waterbury.

Cheapest rental market in state

Old 07-06-2020, 08:16 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

There are also people from Westchester and the Bronx who work in Stamford and Norwalk who decide to move to Bridgeport and even Waterbury for cheap(er) rents and housing. I have a friend who grew up with me in Westchester who now lives in Stratford and is a real estate agent there and she noted a couple of sales in Naugatuck and Waterbury to people from Yonkers and the Bronx like that.

It's believed to be the reason why Bridgeport gained population in the 2010 Census for the first time in decades. When I worked in the Bridgeport school system I had quite a few students who started out in the Bronx and lower Westchester (i.e. Yonkers, Mt. Vernon and New Rochelle) and moved there. One had a grandma who turned out to be a neighbor when I was a kid (I grew up in Mt. Vernon)

Old 07-06-2020, 08:33 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Housing costs and the stagnation of the lower middle class have kept Waterbury's population stable.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:54 AM

205 posts, read 162,483 times
I noticed that this list only includes municipalities that are classified as "cities". Two towns, Wallingford and Southington, have larger populations than Shelton, but are not included on this list.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:50 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Cheapest rental market in state
But I thought WBury has the highest taxes in the state? It also seems to have the states worst reputation, at least on pat with Bridgeport. I'm suprised more people haven't moved to surrounding towns.in fact, didn't Waterbury have it's highest recorded population in 2010, at 110k people? How can the city be doing so bad??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Housing costs and the stagnation of the lower middle class have kept Waterbury's population stable.
Thank you for attempting to giving me a straight answer. It's a trivial question I know, but I'm just curious.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:17 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
But I thought WBury has the highest taxes in the state? It also seems to have the states worst reputation, at least on pat with Bridgeport. I'm suprised more people haven't moved to surrounding towns.in fact, didn't Waterbury have it's highest recorded population in 2010, at 110k people? How can the city be doing so bad??

Thank you for attempting to giving me a straight answer. It's a trivial question I know, but I'm just curious.
it’s a really interesting question! I do think it all comes down to housing costs and maybe type of available housing. So many condos and multi family rentals, while surrounding towns like Watertown have really only added large new single family homes in the last 30+ years.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:11 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I believe Hartford will lose population but mostly because people are tired (or scared) of living in big inner cities so they are moving to the suburbs. That means the population near the big cities should reflect that. Maybe.
Seeing it in Fairfield county with an influx of people from NYC and even Westchester moving to Lower Fairfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut