Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 11:39 AM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times

Advertisements

Unfortunatley Artist, African immigrants are treated no better in other countries, many times even worse than African americans are here. Many of our favorite sports heroes and artists are beloved and revered African americans as well as business leaders, entrepeneurs and even Presidents.
Despite some faults, I'm still proud of this country and on this historic date remembering all those fellas, black and white, who gave their lives for it over in France
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 02:23 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
2) have to go out in disproportionate numbers and work on the front line jobs (many white people can do their jobs from home)
So what? I know lots of black engineers working from home; should only the white folks be working “front line” jobs? IMO anytime Blumenthal gets involved with something, you can guarantee he’s banking on getting in front of the camera. Do not get between him and a camera- most dangerous place in the world.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:10 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Unfortunatley Artist, African immigrants are treated no better in other countries, many times even worse than African americans are here. Many of our favorite sports heroes and artists are beloved and revered African americans as well as business leaders, entrepeneurs and even Presidents.
Despite some faults, I'm still proud of this country and on this historic date remembering all those fellas, black and white, who gave their lives for it over in France
Yes, and it's surprising that blacks are treated poorly in other countries too. For some reason I thought it was just an American problem caused by slavery. But I listen to radio from the UK and people call in to talk and they are "Afro-Caribbean" and they complain about the shoddy treatment they receive.

So this is much more complicated than I ever knew. Somehow it needs to end. I am not a believer in throwing money at it, as in reparations. Black people are treated poorly around the world and I hope someone can figure out how to improve this situation.

I do think some of them could try harder to integrate into the general society. Get rid of dialects and other things that make them different. Every immigrant group has had to drop their language and native dress and native folkways and adapt the behavior of the general populace. I do sympathize because they never chose to come here but some of them do set themselves apart and that's not helping. But the black people who are respected are the ones who have worked and succeeded--as you say, the business leaders, entrepreneurs, artists, athletes, even a president. The black people who choose to live on welfare and make money on drugs are not respected and they represent the negative stereotype that causes the problems.

While I do hold out some hope for these protests, I think it will take a whole lot more than protests. We've had affirmative action, we've had busing, nothing goes deep enough it seems. I leave it to someone who is more educated on these matters and can lead us all into peace and acceptance and understanding. There must be someone out there--a new Martin Luther King or even someone better than that. He doesn't have to be black, just someone who can figure it out and teach the rest of us and maybe settle this matter for once and for all.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:18 PM

145 posts, read 79,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, and it's surprising that blacks are treated poorly in other countries too. For some reason I thought it was just an American problem caused by slavery. But I listen to radio from the UK and people call in to talk and they are "Afro-Caribbean" and they complain about the shoddy treatment they receive.

So this is much more complicated than I ever knew. Somehow it needs to end. I am not a believer in throwing money at it, as in reparations. Black people are treated poorly around the world and I hope someone can figure out how to improve this situation.

I do think some of them could try harder to integrate into the general society. Get rid of dialects and other things that make them different. Every immigrant group has had to drop their language and native dress and native folkways and adapt the behavior of the general populace. I do sympathize because they never chose to come here but some of them do set themselves apart and that's not helping. But the black people who are respected are the ones who have worked and succeeded--as you say, the business leaders, entrepreneurs, artists, athletes, even a president. The black people who choose to live on welfare and make money on drugs are not respected and they represent the negative stereotype that causes the problems.

While I do hold out some hope for these protests, I think it will take a whole lot more than protests. We've had affirmative action, we've had busing, nothing goes deep enough it seems. I leave it to someone who is more educated on these matters and can lead us all into peace and acceptance and understanding. There must be someone out there--a new Martin Luther King or even someone better than that. He doesn't have to be black, just someone who can figure it out and teach the rest of us and maybe settle this matter for once and for all.
You are literally stereotyping black people, and saying they should act in ways suitable to the dominant paradigm that oppressed them. As far as a “new MLK”, the majority of black leaders have been killed. So the problem isn’t their integration, it’s the forces holding them back. That’s what racism is.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:19 PM

145 posts, read 79,097 times
CTartist, I appreciate your sentiments and thoughts. I was at the Hartford protest today. Very inspiring, show of solidarity.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:49 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Please return to the topic of the OP which is protests in Connecticut. If you wish to discuss national protests or the reasons for them, there are more appropriate forum on this website to do that. JayCT, Moderator

Old 06-06-2020, 07:53 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Ct protests have been peaceful. That is terrific.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:47 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
With all these protests going around I was brought into a rather interesting conversation today. Some one asked me to attend a protest in a “well to do town.” I said no, they joked are you racist. Of course, I knew it was a joke.

I thought about it later and said to them, when your done with the rally, meet me in the North End of Hartford I need to pick some food up for my week. I really didn’t get a reply.

Got me thinking, I might not attend the rally but my actions speak louder than words. No offense but anyone could make some signs, yell some slogans and then go home. Not really sure how that helps. I’m pretty sure the business owner of that store I go to twice a month for food or the lunch spot I go to once in a while (when I’m in the area) appreciate me more giving them my business rather than going to a rally in a “well to do town.”

Just find these rallies in these towns kind of hypocritical. I bet if I ask the same question to a majority of the people at these rallies in “well to do towns” I would get the same answer. How could they understand what they are going through when they won’t even visit their neighborhoods. I grew up going to bodegas, small lunch spots near “the projects” and supported them with my continued business. Just because I don’t go to rallies, please don’t tell me I don’t support people.

Not all and this is not a blanket statement, but I found it interesting.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:34 PM

980 posts, read 597,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
With all these protests going around I was brought into a rather interesting conversation today. Some one asked me to attend a protest in a “well to do town.” I said no, they joked are you racist. Of course, I knew it was a joke.

I thought about it later and said to them, when your done with the rally, meet me in the North End of Hartford I need to pick some food up for my week. I really didn’t get a reply.

Got me thinking, I might not attend the rally but my actions speak louder than words. No offense but anyone could make some signs, yell some slogans and then go home. Not really sure how that helps. I’m pretty sure the business owner of that store I go to twice a month for food or the lunch spot I go to once in a while (when I’m in the area) appreciate me more giving them my business rather than going to a rally in a “well to do town.”

Just find these rallies in these towns kind of hypocritical. I bet if I ask the same question to a majority of the people at these rallies in “well to do towns” I would get the same answer. How could they understand what they are going through when they won’t even visit their neighborhoods. I grew up going to bodegas, small lunch spots near “the projects” and supported them with my continued business. Just because I don’t go to rallies, please don’t tell me I don’t support people.

Not all and this is not a blanket statement, but I found it interesting.
Excellent point. It's less of an issue than it used to be as BPT slowly improves but there's still lingering stigma towards our eastern neighbors here in FFLD. I try to shop there sometimes in order to help give business to the city, but many are still reluctant (although again luckily it's a declining number).

Old 06-07-2020, 07:54 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Excellent point. It's less of an issue than it used to be as BPT slowly improves but there's still lingering stigma towards our eastern neighbors here in FFLD. I try to shop there sometimes in order to help give business to the city, but many are still reluctant (although again luckily it's a declining number).
Same thing in Hartford with DONO and the projects going on. It’s still a stigma. I grew up in a City (one step above Hartford, wasn’t privileged and went to school with every race you can imagine). Nothing ever really struck me as odd the way we shopped or the neighborhoods we went to, until college.

I went to school in Providence and it was awesome. I used to go to reggae night, lol. I took my roommate home with me one weekend ( he was from a very small town in a neighboring State). I was picking up Jamaican beef patties from my friend who happen to live in the projects. I did this all the time, nothing out of the ordinary. My roommate was so scared. So, I drove him around some more just to see his reaction. Lol.

I just can’t understand how people who have never been the “projects” or visited the north end of Hartford (still go there because we have properties there) can honestly sympathize with the repression the actual protestors are feeling. If the majority of protestors say I’ve been to corner bodegas or have visited the area multiple times even to buy gas, or get flowers, totally fine. But I have a feeling it’s a lot of “white people” who feel guilt and want to show support, which is fine and totally acceptable. Let your voices heard, but don’t turn to me and say you have never been to a store in a “black neighborhood” because I can tell you my morning egg sandwich and coffee at the corner store in Frog Hollow (for a good 3 years while I was working there) employed the people of frog hollow and Who were grateful people spent money in the store.

That’s all I’m going to say because it is a very sensitive topic and someone will prove me wrong or call me out on some minor sentences with very specific points.

Bottom line, show your support by using your money to purchase items from these stores. My guess is that economic impact is far greater and more necessary than just putting your fist in air 4 towns over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut