Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 09:40 AM

32 posts, read 39,274 times

Advertisements

I have a multi-directional indoor TV antenna with a 50 mile range and I have no regrets for cancelling my basic cable service. My issue is that I no longer have WVIT. I turned on my TV to channel 30 and the screen said "No Signal". So I decided to rescan and after it was complete, channel 30 is completely gone and shows me a grey snowy screen when entered on the remote. The issue just started on Memorial Day. I don't know what happened because I was able to get WVIT since the day I bought the antenna last December with no problems. The only time the signal is weak is when the wind is blowing the trees outside my window. I'm also curious why I don't have WFSB and WTNH. The box says 50 miles and Connecticut is not a big state, in my opinion. I live in Norwich, so it's not like I live in the middle of nowhere. After all, it is the largest city in New London County. So what gives? Why would WFSB and WTNH exclude eastern Connecticut for Over-The-Air viewers? I don't like watching WTIC-TV only because FOX doesn't have evening news at 6:30PM just like CBS, ABC, and NBC and no late night talk shows. What the heck is going on? Did I permanently lose the big three TV networks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 02:03 PM

385 posts, read 363,254 times
TV Fool

Go to the above link and get your report and post it here for review.

1: Have you been receiving all these stations prior?
2: What indoor antenna is it? The mileage claims are useless.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
TV Fool

Go to the above link and get your report and post it here for review.

1: Have you been receiving all these stations prior?
2: What indoor antenna is it? The mileage claims are useless.
1. Not all the channel from this list. I was able to receive WPXQ-DT (ION), WTIC-TV (FOX), WVIT (NBC but not anymore), and other TV station that are not listed such as WRIW (Telemundo) and WHPX-TV (Also ION).
2. I have the One For All 14542 Amplified Indoor Ultra-thin HDTV Antenna from Walmart between $40-$50. I live in apartment complex, so outdoor antennas was not an option for me.
Attached Thumbnails
I can't receive the major TV networks on antenna-antenna.png  

Old 05-31-2020, 05:50 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I'm no help but I've had an indoor antenna for over a year and at first I got everything. Now I've lost all three PBS channels, which were the only ones I really watched. I can get WTIC though. I get a lot of channels I don't watch, like shopping and some others that I've never heard of and don't care about.

The only thing that fixes it (temporarily) is if I either move the tv or the antenna. I'm on the second floor of an apt complex and I'm just south of Hartford. I taped the flat thing (antenna) to the window and it worked for months. Then I had to take it down and tape it to a different part of the window. I think I'll have to take it down again and tape it higher, lower, more to the left or right. I'm in the same boat and don't know what causes it to change. I HATE it when it says No Signal so I understand.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm no help but I've had an indoor antenna for over a year and at first I got everything. Now I've lost all three PBS channels, which were the only ones I really watched. I can get WTIC though. I get a lot of channels I don't watch, like shopping and some others that I've never heard of and don't care about.

The only thing that fixes it (temporarily) is if I either move the tv or the antenna. I'm on the second floor of an apt complex and I'm just south of Hartford. I taped the flat thing (antenna) to the window and it worked for months. Then I had to take it down and tape it to a different part of the window. I think I'll have to take it down again and tape it higher, lower, more to the left or right. I'm in the same boat and don't know what causes it to change. I HATE it when it says No Signal so I understand.
As long as I get CBS, ABC, or NBC, that's all I care. I only watch local/national news and talk shows (The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and Saturday Night Live are my favorite). When I don't feel like watching live television, I watch my shows on Netflix.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedude View Post
1. Not all the channel from this list. I was able to receive WPXQ-DT (ION), WTIC-TV (FOX), WVIT (NBC but not anymore), and other TV station that are not listed such as WRIW (Telemundo) and WHPX-TV (Also ION).
2. I have the One For All 14542 Amplified Indoor Ultra-thin HDTV Antenna from Walmart between $40-$50. I live in apartment complex, so outdoor antennas was not an option for me.
Ok. Doesn't look good. The stations you want are over 40 miles away and are not line of sight. The DB levels are under 18 and should be closer to 40 to be a good signal. Those flat antennas will not receive stations from that far away no matter what they say.

I would try a Antennas Direct ClearStream 2MAX. It is an indoor/outdoor antenna with good range. I have one indoors up here in Manchester and receive stations from Springfield. Try one, if it doesn't work, return it. Good Luck!

Old 05-31-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Ok. Doesn't look good. The stations you want are over 40 miles away and are not line of sight. The DB levels are under 18 and should be closer to 40 to be a good signal. Those flat antennas will not receive stations from that far away no matter what they say.

I would try a Antennas Direct ClearStream 2MAX. It is an indoor/outdoor antenna with good range. I have one indoors up here in Manchester and receive stations from Springfield. Try one, if it doesn't work, return it. Good Luck!
Hmm. If WVIT has a DB level under 18, then how was I able to receive signal that came all the way from New Britain in the first place?

Old 06-01-2020, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Hmm. If WVIT has a DB level under 18, then how was I able to receive signal that came all the way from New Britain in the first place?
Did you stop receiving WVIT when the leaves came out?

Old 06-01-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Did you stop receiving WVIT when the leaves came out?
No. The tree branches already had their leaves grown. I was even able to watch a rerun of the winter olympic men’s hockey last Sunday. So I figured it was their end and it had something to do with the Phase 10 repack.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
No. The tree branches already had their leaves grown. I was even able to watch a rerun of the winter olympic men’s hockey last Sunday. So I figured it was their end and it had something to do with the Phase 10 repack.
I don't think WVIT reduced power. That web site I referred you too has a great forum, I suggest you post your question there with that report that you did. There are real experts there. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut