Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2020, 10:10 AM

11,258 posts, read 18,778,406 times

Advertisements

Hi, I didn't get any responses in the Westchester forum about their beaches so I hope to have better luck here.

I live in and my daughter goes to a private school in Westchester County where students come from all over the area. She has 3 very good friends, one lives in Westchester, one in Riverdale and one in north Stamford.

About a month ago, when this has eased a bit and they went two months without seeing each other they started to get together in a socially distanced way once a week or so each time at a different park in Westchester County. This is planned very carefully among the parents (two of her 3 friends has a doctor parent and the third friend has one who is a respiratory therapist in a NYC hospital, so they are not exactly all for being "free and wild") and has worked out well. We each bring our daughter to the said park and pick them up later, no one brings all of them in one car at once and we do not want to yet.

With warmer weather coming up, they want to go to a beach, and prefer to do it on a weekday when it's less crowded (they were thinking of this Tuesday right now). Of the 3 Westchester public beaches, one is closed as a COVID test site, the other two you have to prove county residency (this year only) and won't open on weekdays until July (and then not on Mondays or Tuesdays). Because of this they'd be willing to go to Orchard Beach in the Bronx on a weekday (you can drop people off/pick them up for free! and not pay to park if you are not staying), however, they are not allowing swimming right now which makes it a dealbreaker for them.

Regarding non-county beaches in Westchester, I am very familiar with Oakland Beach in Rye, NY; they've even eased a lot of their non-resident fees on weekdays this year, however I went by there yesterday and learned if you are under 17 you need to have an adult over 25 with you and they are strictly looking at ID (my daughter doesn't turn 17 for a month and two of her 3 friends are still 16.....and only the 17 year old friend has proper ID anyway (a CT learners permit)), so that's not happening either.

I could not find other Westchester beaches like Oakland Beach and asked about it in that forum with no response.

Sorry for the long backstory but now I am looking for a beach in Fairfield County that might fit. I prefer one in Greenwich or Stamford as I am not sure how far the two other NY parents would be willing to drive, especially if they have to go a 2nd time to pick them up. I think all the Greenwich beaches and most parks are strictly limiting to town residents due to COVID this year and not letting non-residents even come for a steep fee, one time I tried to go to Grass Island park in Greenwich earlier this month which is not a beach and is free to all and was told this and turned away and told I could go to the smaller Roger Sherman park next door.

Cove Island Park seems to allow non-residents this year and charge by the car per their website. Is there an option to drop off non-residents? Is there a fee for that? Website only talks about per car fees and makes no mention of this.

I know last year Sherwood Island was free for cars with a CT plate, and $15/car weekdays, $25/car weekends for those with an out of state plate. Do they allow pickup/dropoff? Are they allowing out of state residents this summer? All but the Stamford parent and myself will probably say "too far" but I thought I'd ask here.

Any help on this, or any other options (even beyond Stamford) would be helpful. Don't ask "why don't they just go to Jones or Moses on Long Island?" as no parent is willing to drive out there, pay tolls and risk finding out they are "at capacity" and turned away. Thanks again and sorry for the long backstory.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 06-20-2020 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 10:57 AM

6,680 posts, read 3,606,572 times
Weed Beach Darien, just pull up to the gatehouse and drop them off, they can walk in. Same for Bailey and Calf Pasture in Norwalk, pull up and drop them off, they walk in. Same for Compo in Westport, drop them off on the field or along the roadside part where the beach is literally right off the road. Same song and dance for all Fairfield beaches, Southport beach is literally right off the road, no gatehouse. Even better, its all free too. All within the law as well, nothing shady about it. Happens all the time. They all allow non-residents to enter if you're not parking a car.

I'm not kidding, it's that easy. They're gonna have a blast.

Last edited by SteveM85; 06-20-2020 at 11:18 AM..

Old 06-20-2020, 11:00 AM

34 posts, read 57,272 times
Why not look in to private beach club memberships in your own area, rather than drop off unaccompanied minors at a beach in another state where they will walk in to try to avoid paying the nonresident parking fees. Most beaches have reduced capacity right now, even for residents. Your plan seems like a shady thing to do to bypass restrictions.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizharlow View Post
Why not look in to private beach club memberships in your own area, rather than drop off unaccompanied minors at a beach in another state where they will walk in to try to avoid paying the nonresident parking fees. Most beaches have reduced capacity right now, even for residents. Your plan seems like a shady thing to do to bypass restrictions.

I actually am not trying to do that, at Oakland Beach in Rye you still pay to go in if you are a drop off (more if you dont live in Rye) and they never had the regulation I gave about them until this year. The reason I am asking about Fairfield County is Westchester beaches either are closed on weekdays or have the restriction I gave for Oakland Beach. I initially posted this in the Westchester Forum and got no response after a week so I expanded to Fairfield. I was assuming town beaches in Fairfield County charge for non resident drop offs if they are allowing it this year I'm not trying to "sneak teens in" at all.

They wouldnt be going to the beach enough to get a full season membership ar a private club I can see them maybe doing this a couple of times this summer if that.

What's probably going to happen now is I just found out one of the friends has a 25 year old neighbor she knows well so she may simply go to Oakland Beach with them to resolve this. Thanks all!

Old 06-23-2020, 02:03 PM

830 posts, read 1,084,673 times
Weed Beach or Pear Tree in Darien are probably your best bets. Totally free if being dropped off and not against the rules. They are actually looking to change it in the future but as of now its still valid. Closer is Greenwich but they didn't allow free walk-ins even before COVID.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Weed Beach or Pear Tree in Darien are probably your best bets. Totally free if being dropped off and not against the rules. They are actually looking to change it in the future but as of now its still valid. Closer is Greenwich but they didn't allow free walk-ins even before COVID.

Thanks, they went today, ended up going to Oakland Beach in Rye in the way I describe in my previous post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut