Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:51 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The average price of homes in the SF Bay area is $1m?
The average home prices in the San Francisco bay area are;

for San Jose, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara (the south bay,silicon valley) 845K / San Francisco, Oakland, Fremont 777K- not 1 million- But if you want something decent- yes 1 million.

Believe me Connecticut is far cheaper- California is nearly stratospheric for home prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 10:55 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The average home prices in the San Francisco bay area are;

for San Jose, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara (the south bay,silicon valley) 845K / San Francisco, Oakland, Fremont 777K- not 1 million- But if you want something decent- yes 1 million.
Well yes, but the same thing can be said for Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, Weston, Wilton, Westport. Actually median prices for these towns are for the most part over 1 million.

I know what you're saying, that the SF Bay area is very pricey - but when compared to SW Fairfield County, the difference is not huge. Recently I nearly moved to Irvine or Montclair and I didn't have sticker shock when I looked at rents.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:03 AM

The differences are not huge, between several boutique towns in lower Fairfield county

however the median home price in the San Francisco bay is still nearly double of what Fairfield county is- I quoted the NAR prices before-

460K for Fairfield county--- nearly double that for that SF bay area.
I suggest you go to the NAR site- and see the differences.

Also rents are not the issue here-but home prices are.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The differences are not huge, between several boutique towns in lower Fairfield county

however the median home price in the San Francisco bay is still nearly double of what Fairfield county is- I quoted the NAR prices before-

460K for Fairfield county--- nearly double that for that SF bay area.
I suggest you go to the NAR site- and see the differences.
Thanks, I will do that.

I am still considering a job in Orange County - in your opinion, do you think 5k higher out there is enough to cover the cost of living difference between Anaheim and Stamford/New Canaan?

Old 05-04-2008, 11:35 AM

New Canaan and Beverly hills home prices are nearly the same.

Orange County median home price prices are still about 150K higher then Fairfield county. Rents are a different matter- I look at median home prices- not rents.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 AM

Also I may add- I notice you enjoy wine- Connecticut's moderate climate allows several excellent wineries to thrive here- producing very high quality grapes for award winning wines.

Sharpe Hill Vineyards
in Pomfret (eastern CT) is the largest- set in a rural pastoral view- with an award winning restaurant.

CONNECTICUT WINE TRAIL - WINERY TOURS - Connecticut wine tasting, vacations, CT Wine Trail

Old 05-05-2008, 11:26 AM

66 posts, read 217,031 times
Don't be disheartened - CT is great.

Last edited by JayCT; 05-05-2008 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 05-05-2008, 07:51 PM

17 posts, read 28,168 times
Hi again from leavinglosangeles -

Kidyankee764, I would strongly encourage you to really get a feel for the Southern and California housing market, as I think there is a significant difference for something that we define as "decent home" in a "decent neighborhood" with a "decent school system." Maybe the better word choice is not "decent" for California but "good," not extravagant or luxurious, not estates or mansions, simply "good." Those homes in those areas will be a minimum of $750k to $1M without question. NAR is a great resource, but I have lived here all my life, know most of the state and have a relative who is a broker in the SF Bay Area. Those prices are just the reality here, right now anyway.

From my research, homes in CT definitely get pricier towards Westport, New Canaan, etc., but are still not nearly what they are in California for the same thing. You can get a "good" home for $500k to $600k from what I have seen.

Skytrekker, thanks for the winery information...I'm a bit of a snob in this area and have been truly spoiled by California's wine region so I am anxious to do a little exploring.

On another note, any thoughts on Gales Ferry knowing some of the things I am looking for...? Proximity for commuting to NY, not necessarily on a daily basis?

Thanks -

Old 05-05-2008, 08:13 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
You may be able to find a "dollhouse" in Westport for 600K, but in New Canaan, you'll only find a "dump" for that money.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavinglosangeles View Post
From my research, homes in CT definitely get pricier towards Westport, New Canaan, etc., but are still not nearly what they are in California for the same thing. You can get a "good" home for $500k to $600k from what I have seen.
In New Canaan and Westport, you're lucky to get a starter home that needs TLC for 5-600k.

Thanks for your advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut