Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2020, 08:19 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Managgia la miseria CTArtist, it's not a legitimate organization with any power or authority. It's just a bunch of jokers who put up a fancy website and call themselves a
"Movement". Capisce?
I would agree with you but it is led by a very prominent and influential Democrat who is the wife of Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin. Up until recently Sara Bronin was the Chairman of Hartford’s Zoning Commission. She recently resigned for other pursuits which include this group.

Given Luke Bronin’s standing in the party and the fact that there is currently a Bill before the legislature to further this groups goals, I think this is a VERY credible threat. This letter from CT Mirror summarizes that Bill. I have already written my Legislators to voice my opposition to it. I encourage everyone here to do the same. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/category/ct-vie...-consequences/

Old 09-04-2020, 09:28 AM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would agree with you but it is led by a very prominent and influential Democrat who is the wife of Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin. Up until recently Sara Bronin was the Chairman of Hartford’s Zoning Commission. She recently resigned for other pursuits which include this group.

Given Luke Bronin’s standing in the party and the fact that there is currently a Bill before the legislature to further this groups goals, I think this is a VERY credible threat. This letter from CT Mirror summarizes that Bill. I have already written my Legislators to voice my opposition to it. I encourage everyone here to do the same. Jay

Why are you against Glastonbury's hard working first responders and teachers being able to afford a nice little place for themselves in town if it's built on a main thoro with existing nat gas and public sewers and doesn't infringe on your beloved Sugar Plums Lane? I'm ok with that where I am.
If a group comes out calls themselves "Section 8 all the CT suburbs", then ok I'm against it. I'll pick up a phone and make a call or draft a nastygram.

Until there is national prominence involved (and contractors and developers), I'm not going to worry about someone's wife on a high horse crusade.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:56 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I can paste when I am home later, but I really don’t get this movement. It’s pretty insulting to stop at just poor blacks when most of the state can’t afford to live in town. What about all the residents of Derby? If there are going to force zoning changes, they might as well build tens of thousands of affordable units. Social justice league warriors sometimes miss the bigger picture.
Derby is already over the 10% affordable housing.
https://data.ct.gov/Housing-and-Deve...sent/3udy-56vi

Old 09-04-2020, 12:23 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Why are you against Glastonbury's hard working first responders and teachers being able to afford a nice little place for themselves in town if it's built on a main thoro with existing nat gas and public sewers and doesn't infringe on your beloved Sugar Plums Lane? I'm ok with that where I am.
If a group comes out calls themselves "Section 8 all the CT suburbs", then ok I'm against it. I'll pick up a phone and make a call or draft a nastygram.

Until there is national prominence involved (and contractors and developers), I'm not going to worry about someone's wife on a high horse crusade.
Actually Glastonbury already has a lot of affordable housing. The town’s Housing Authority has 199 units of affordable housing in Welles Village, near me here in the North End. The one to three bedroom units are income based but the maximum rents are between $600 and $900 a month. The Housing Authority also runs two affordable elderly housing complexes, a congregate care facility and an assisted living facility.

In addition, there is a privately owned affordable elderly housing complex, a privately owned affordable co-op complex and several of the large new apartment complexes have affordable units in them. Plus overall Glastonbury is surprisingly affordable. Teachers and first responders have no trouble affording living here. I know several that do. In fact, I doubt many first responders, if any, don’t live in town. Jay

Old 09-04-2020, 01:29 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Derby is already over the 10% affordable housing.
https://data.ct.gov/Housing-and-Deve...sent/3udy-56vi
Woah - my post went over your head. There are many residents of Derby who are lower income and would like to live in Westport. Are they going to build enough units to accommodate or just focus on racial lines. Typical liberal nonsense.

Last edited by Wilton2ParkAve; 09-04-2020 at 02:54 PM..

Old 09-04-2020, 01:35 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Actually Glastonbury already has a lot of affordable housing. The town’s Housing Authority has 199 units of affordable housing in Welles Village, near me here in the North End. The one to three bedroom units are income based but the maximum rents are between $600 and $900 a month. The Housing Authority also runs two affordable elderly housing complexes, a congregate care facility and an assisted living facility.

In addition, there is a privately owned affordable elderly housing complex, a privately owned affordable co-op complex and several of the large new apartment complexes have affordable units in them. Plus overall Glastonbury is surprisingly affordable. Teachers and first responders have no trouble affording living here. I know several that do. In fact, I doubt many first responders, if any, don’t live in town. Jay
That sounds very well rounded then. That's great. Probably nothing to worry about there.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Woah - my post went over your head. There are many residents of Derby who are lower income and would like to live in Westport. Are they going to build enough units to accommodate or just focus on racial lines. Typical liberal nonsense.
I see what you are getting at. I know what you mean now. You are right. Not everyone who is poor or lower income is black/Spanish. The entire subject is a hard one.

It's probably a combination of both I would say. Kind of how the colleges when they give scholarships on the basis of low income plus color. Colleges want a certain % of minorities.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:45 AM

There is one thing that I think is problematic about this entire subject and is probably contributing to generational poverty.

One of the ways you build generational wealth is through real estate. Most of the affordable housing is apartments which when done generation after generation (which seems to happen) keeps entire families poor. I often think is this entire affordable housing approach helping or hurting?

Trumbull has deeded affordable condos that you can buy. That is probably the better approach and builds "pride of place". It keeps this particular affordable housing (condos you buy) the nicest in Trumbull. But these affordable condos that you an buy are a small fraction of our entire affordable housing stock.

Old 09-05-2020, 12:52 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:

I just read the bill in text, and honestly I still do not see any "threat" to the power of local zoning boards, and will actually solve a lot of the issues that are being complained about by anti-monstrosity activists. As I've said before the restrictive-first-then-parcel-by-parcel-exemption zoning philosophy is ripe and wrought with the corruption/density issues that we see in towns where this comes up (the big over-built developments). The bill also simplifies the compliance requirements with the State which would render these types of developments so feared much harder under state law.

Current State Law already gives municipal zoning boards a ton of authority and power, far more than most other states, it's not unreasonable to ask the boards to get a framework for 10-20 year growth plans and file with the state.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:04 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
There is one thing that I think is problematic about this entire subject and is probably contributing to generational poverty.

One of the ways you build generational wealth is through real estate. Most of the affordable housing is apartments which when done generation after generation (which seems to happen) keeps entire families poor. I often think is this entire affordable housing approach helping or hurting?

Trumbull has deeded affordable condos that you can buy. That is probably the better approach and builds "pride of place". It keeps this particular affordable housing (condos you buy) the nicest in Trumbull. But these affordable condos that you an buy are a small fraction of our entire affordable housing stock.
Helsinki actually took this head on, as did IIRC Bern.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...o-homelessness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut