Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 12:56 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Please stop with the attacks and drivel. How exactly do you propose we subdivide all the existing 2 acre lots? Are you going to pay fair value (200-400k per acre) and physically relocate homes, pools, and tennis courts to make way. That seems to erode the concept of ‘affordable housing’. I’m still waiting to hear a rationale reason why our town needs to accommodate this cohort? Why stop at housing - this should be extending to exotic vacations, cars and high end electronics. College should be free for all!!!! Let’s give everyone a trading account for investing too. Give it a rest.
It is happening i my town. We have are about 97% developed but Trumbull is taking the hits.

Your "affordable housing" isn't really affordable housing anyway if it is based on about 50% or your housing costs yo rent costs. In my town of Trumbull where a median house costs $400,000 a $200,000 house is really affordable. Or in Trumbull where rents are $2500 to $3000 a rent of $12500 to $1500 is really affordable.

If ALL the towns stop passing the buck and each takes about 3% REAL affordable housing based on county affordability and not town affordability we would all make out. Guess what would happen......

The rich towns would still be rich, the middle class towns (like Trumbull) would not get targeted and the horrible crime ridden cities in CT would get better.

It would all be shared equally and fairly.

"Are you going to pay fair value (200-400k per acre) and physically relocate homes, pools, and tennis courts to make way. "--Wilton2Park

It is called eminent domain and it happened to my grandmother when they put I-95 in Stamford. Yes, those people would be compensated. There is Route 7 that has a lot of commercial property in Wilton....it can go there like it is going into Trumbull's more industrial & business zoned areas.

Last edited by CTartist; 08-02-2020 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-02-2020, 01:07 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
It is happening i my town. We have are about 97% developed but Trumbull is taking the hits.

Your "affordable housing" isn't really affordable housing anyway if it is based on about 50% or your housing costs yo rent costs. In my town of Trumbull where a median house costs $400,000 a $200,000 house is really affordable. Or in Trumbull where rents are $2500 to $3000 a rent of $12500 to $1500 is really affordable.

If ALL the towns stop passing the buck and each takes about 3% REAL affordable housing based on county affordability and not town affordability we would all make out. Guess what would happen......

The rich towns would still be rich, the middle class towns (like Trumbull) would not get targeted and the horrible crime ridden cities in CT would get better.

It would all be shared equally and fairly.

"Are you going to pay fair value (200-400k per acre) and physically relocate homes, pools, and tennis courts to make way. "

It is called eminent domain and it happened to my grandmother when they put I-95 in Stamford. Yes, those people would be compensated. There is Route 7 that has a lot of commercial property in Wilton....it can go there like it is going into Trumbull's more industrial & business zoned areas.
How about an affordable Avalon on Rt 7?

Old 08-02-2020, 01:19 PM

I think a town needs to get to 6% affordable housing. Lets take a look as of 2016 towns near Bridgeport.
https://data.ct.gov/Housing-and-Deve...sent/3udy-56vi

Trumbull......4.55% (with lots more coming online)
Easton.........0.59
Shelton........2.91%
Fairfeld.........2.22
Monroe........1%
Stratford......5.97%

How is this fair?

Old 08-02-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
How about an affordable Avalon on Rt 7?
Two bedrooms start at $2885 a month
Three bedrooms start at $3875 a month
The Movement to Economically Desegregate Connecticut-avalonwilton1.jpg

Bridgeport median income $45,000 a year or $3750 a month

Old 08-02-2020, 01:29 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
We have an Avalon with low income units on Route 7 and several HUD apt complexes on River Road. As for low income housing, are we including rental units? That is where the social justice warriors come at CT (we aren’t disparate based on affordable homes and low income rentals).

Old 08-02-2020, 01:31 PM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
I think a town needs to get to 6% affordable housing. Lets take a look as of 2016 towns near Bridgeport.
https://data.ct.gov/Housing-and-Deve...sent/3udy-56vi

Trumbull......4.55% (with lots more coming online)
Easton.........0.59
Shelton........2.91%
Fairfeld.........2.22
Monroe........1%
Stratford......5.97%

How is this fair?
Can you get anymore arbitrary and capricious? What is 6% based on? You were advocating 3% just two posts earlier. The above dynamic is explainable and understandable when you account for density and ecosystem (sewers, public water).

Old 08-02-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
We have an Avalon with low income units on Route 7 and several HUD apt complexes on River Road. As for low income housing, are we including rental units? That is where the social justice warriors come at CT (we aren’t disparate based on affordable homes and low income rentals).
The problem lies with the fact that even if Wilton had 6% affordable housing it would be too high for many middle class people to rent from Trumbull let alone the working class in the Bridgeport area. The people from Bridgeport are frankly working in all the low wage jobs in lower Fairfield County.

Trumbull doesn't need it though because we have good schools. The point is to get as many children from impoverished areas into the better schools.

I think everyone is missing the point.

And BTW seniors should be excluded from all of these formulas because guess what. I know lots of wealthy seniors who turn over their money to their kids to become "poor" and then they get into senior housing in all the wealthy towns. Affordable senior housing should not count toward the 6%. Or If I had my way about 3% of REAL affordable housing in all towns to be fair.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Can you get anymore arbitrary and capricious? What is 6% based on? You were advocating 3% just two posts earlier. The above dynamic is explainable and understandable when you account for density and ecosystem (sewers, public water).
I believe 6% is the real number a town needs to get to the correct number of affordable housing units as mandated by the state. I am not positive but I think I remember the 6% number. The first selectman when I first moved into Trumbull had the noble cause of actually wanting to reach that number. I think I remember it was 6%.

Here is another reason I think it is 6%. When Trumbull passed the law we could have accessory apartments I had the building department come to my house. I wanted to know if my basement (which has it's own entrance/vestibule) would qualify. The man said "yes with some modifications. We would really like for you to make an apartment because that would count toward the 6% of affordable apartments".

I think he said 6% but it was a long time ago.

Last edited by CTartist; 08-02-2020 at 01:53 PM..

Old 08-02-2020, 01:57 PM

208 posts, read 113,763 times
Quote:
The point is to get as many children from impoverished areas into the better schools.
I'm not sure the parents of the children in those better schools are fully on board with that goal.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike320 View Post
I'm not sure the parents of the children in those better schools are fully on board with that goal.
You should see the ruckus in my town at the zoning meetings and on the Facebook pages. There was a survey on a Facebook page that asked the question "Do you think all the new apartments will be good for Trumbull?" If you could see the comments you would understand just how explosive a subject this is on our town.

Of course I didn't take the survey because I would have been tarred and feathered by my neighbors if answered yes and explained it would be just and fair. They don't care about just and fair lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut