Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 06:15 AM

50 posts, read 47,009 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

We are both retired and live just outside of Boston (Newton/Auburndale actually). I am 60 and lets just say Sandra is younger ;-). We both retired early and are looking to make a move since we don't have to retain our Massachusetts jobs any longer. We live in an area that is a commuter's dream so our house will sell fast. Our goal is to move to an area that is less expensive, outdoorsy, friendly, middle of the road liberal, less congested with traffic and people. Our main goal is to travel if we find our ultimate living arrangement since we would have more money at the end of the month.

We've checked out a few areas already: Asheville, NC and SE New Hampshire. Asheville is nice but too far from family. NH is also nice. We go up there all the time to hike with the pup. However we didn't like the home prices, property taxes or get a good vibe that it's a place that we would want to call home.

CT seems to be a good fit for us as far as logistics. I have family in MA. Sandra is from Shelton CT (long time ago) and has family in PA. Plus we can get to all our favorite places within driving distance........and still retain most our Red Sox and Pats neighborhood fan base. In other words, move away from here and still feel fairly comfortable since were still in New England. I think Sandra would also be more happy!

We've taken a few trips to eastern CT to check out locations. I would love to stay east of the river since it's closer to MA. However some of the area's are quite rural (which I like and she doesn't). Sandra on the other hand would like to be closer to groceries and restaurants. That being said, I am reading that perhaps Avon, Simsbury, or W Hartford may be worth investigating even though its on the other side of Hartford. The abundance of homes in Avon is also attractive.

So here are some specifics that I would love feedback on:

*East of the river areas. We have checked out Ellington, Tolland and Pomfret, Putnam. We liked Tollard but not much shopping or big box stores (Target, HD, Lowes ect).

*We are looking in the $400-$500's range so hopefully we can find a home a little newer with a two car garage. We also ride a motorcycle and are planning on getting pickup truck for towing so some driveway space would be nice.

*We don't have children so schools are not important. We are more interested in a small town feel that is safe, lower taxes and people are friendly.

*Close (5-15 min) to a nice grocery store and restaurants.

*Peaceful and quiet is a plus. We have the train and interstate in our back yard. I can wave to conductor. I would like to hear the birds in the morning instead of trucks and trains :-)

I appreciate all informative reply's on areas/towns that may be a good fit for us. Please ask any questions for more specifics. I probably have left out lots of information.

Thank you,
Randy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 07:03 AM

512 posts, read 442,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerForPaws View Post
Hello everybody,

We are both retired and live just outside of Boston (Newton/Auburndale actually). I am 60 and lets just say Sandra is younger ;-). We both retired early and are looking to make a move since we don't have to retain our Massachusetts jobs any longer. We live in an area that is a commuter's dream so our house will sell fast. Our goal is to move to an area that is less expensive, outdoorsy, friendly, middle of the road liberal, less congested with traffic and people. Our main goal is to travel if we find our ultimate living arrangement since we would have more money at the end of the month.

We've checked out a few areas already: Asheville, NC and SE New Hampshire. Asheville is nice but too far from family. NH is also nice. We go up there all the time to hike with the pup. However we didn't like the home prices, property taxes or get a good vibe that it's a place that we would want to call home.

CT seems to be a good fit for us as far as logistics. I have family in MA. Sandra is from Shelton CT (long time ago) and has family in PA. Plus we can get to all our favorite places within driving distance........and still retain most our Red Sox and Pats neighborhood fan base. In other words, move away from here and still feel fairly comfortable since were still in New England. I think Sandra would also be more happy!

We've taken a few trips to eastern CT to check out locations. I would love to stay east of the river since it's closer to MA. However some of the area's are quite rural (which I like and she doesn't). Sandra on the other hand would like to be closer to groceries and restaurants. That being said, I am reading that perhaps Avon, Simsbury, or W Hartford may be worth investigating even though its on the other side of Hartford. The abundance of homes in Avon is also attractive.

So here are some specifics that I would love feedback on:

*East of the river areas. We have checked out Ellington, Tolland and Pomfret, Putnam. We liked Tollard but not much shopping or big box stores (Target, HD, Lowes ect).

*We are looking in the $400-$500's range so hopefully we can find a home a little newer with a two car garage. We also ride a motorcycle and are planning on getting pickup truck for towing so some driveway space would be nice.

*We don't have children so schools are not important. We are more interested in a small town feel that is safe, lower taxes and people are friendly.

*Close (5-15 min) to a nice grocery store and restaurants.

*Peaceful and quiet is a plus. We have the train and interstate in our back yard. I can wave to conductor. I would like to hear the birds in the morning instead of trucks and trains :-)

I appreciate all informative reply's on areas/towns that may be a good fit for us. Please ask any questions for more specifics. I probably have left out lots of information.

Thank you,
Randy
Look at the taxes in Avon, Simsbury and West Hartford. There’s a reason for “the abundance of homes in Avon”. A lot of people don’t want to pay those high taxes. I like all those three areas as well, but wouldn’t purchase there due to such high taxes.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:54 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
I think you are very smart to cash out now on the Boston market. You don't need Avon, Simsbury, West Hartford. You don't need the excellent schools that the high taxes pay for. You most definitely want east of the river. Cheaper, easy shot to Boston area, you can get more of what you want in a home, and still be close to great shopping, and many restaurants. Property values are low in Manchester, but it has some beautiful neighborhoods, with a very quiet, idyllic suburban feel, on big lots. Look along I84 northeast of Manchester (which has TONS of shopping). Or along I91 north of Hartford. South Windsor (and Glastonbury) are comparable to Avon, Simsbury, West Hartford, and Farmington, in that they have good schools, and high property values - but it also means good dining, because the people there can afford it. You don't want to buy IN those towns, but right near them. East Windsor is cheap, close to the highways you want, and relatively close to the good amenities of the more expensive towns. I would also consider towns in southwestern Mass. There's excellent shopping in the Enfield area of CT, and it's right near the Mass Pike.

In general, look at the desirable towns with great schools, look at I84, I91, and the Mass Pike, look at where there is good shopping, and then choose a house in a town with cheaper prices, that's relatively close to the highway and has the amenities you seek. I think you could most definitely find what you want in your price range.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:59 AM

843 posts, read 508,047 times
I'm relocating to CT to be closer to family and I grew up on the Shoreline (Old Saybrook.) I'm a leaving a job in Waltham and I live in Boston (Roslindale for 13 years, Hyde Park for 2.) I know Newton very well. West Hartford is Hartford's version of Newton. It's kind of a mini-version. The towns you are considering are more or less Hartford's version of Metrowest suburbs. That tax rates are going to be higher, but the price of the house will be more for your money than Newton. Taxes will be similar on similar sized houses, but you will be paying MUCH less for the house while paying a much higher rate. Some people are only concerned about the total taxes. Personally, a high rate annoys me. That's a personal choice and a sore subject with some people on this forum. FWIW - Avon has a lower tax rate than the other two towns. But if you want to minimize taxes, there are other options

You might want to consider the Shoreline towns, in particular Old Lyme, Old Saybrook, and Essex. There is plenty of shopping and restaurants close. Old Saybrook is more commercial. There isn't much in Old Lyme, but East Lyme and Waterford are 10-15 minutes away. From Essex, Old Saybrook and the Westbrook outlets are close. I'm also a big fan of East Lyme. They all offer lower taxes than the Hartford suburbs (less difference in East Lyme) and access to beaches. You also have quick access to both Amtrak and Shoreline East Trains. The downside is that it's further from Newton.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:41 AM

512 posts, read 442,715 times
One of the reasons some of us pay close attention to taxes because it seems the higher the taxes the less home prices appreciate, and often takes longer to sell. Many of the towns I looked at in CT with high taxes, the home prices actually declined. One poster on another thread stated recently that he was surprised that his home in Simsbury wasn’t selling, given the hot market now; and that his home value still hasn’t recovered from the last housing crash. I’m guessing that’s largely due to high real estate taxes. If taxes go up, it reduces the purchase power for many. Yes, if you purchase an inexpensive home, that offsets the high taxes. But unless this will be your forever home, you’ll have to consider how your home purchase will affect your ability to sell. You certainly don’t want your property value to decrease as a result of increasing taxes.

Have you considered areas around Newport, RI? I think that would be a good compromise for you and your wife. If you get a place let’s say within 30 minutes from Newport, you would have peace and quiet and your wife would like being close to all the Newport has to offer. I’m moving back to New England and that’s probably where I’ll end up.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:20 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
East of the River isn’t necessarily more convenient to MA. 91 is a main artery to MA, otherwise you need to take 95 up in RI and MA. It winds up generally being faster to Boston via 91.

East of New Haven is pretty idyllic for retirement. Guilford, Madison, Essex, Chester, Old Saybrook, Old Lyme are all fantastic, beautiful towns. Access to MA is easy. Shoot up 91 or 9. Bonus is you’re near some good cities. Middletown has a nice Main Street, and New Haven is CT’s cultural and food capital with tons to do.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:43 AM

843 posts, read 508,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
East of the River isn’t necessarily more convenient to MA. 91 is a main artery to MA, otherwise you need to take 95 up in RI and MA. It winds up generally being faster to Boston via 91.

East of New Haven is pretty idyllic for retirement. Guilford, Madison, Essex, Chester, Old Saybrook, Old Lyme are all fantastic, beautiful towns. Access to MA is easy. Shoot up 91 or 9. Bonus is you’re near some good cities. Middletown has a nice Main Street, and New Haven is CT’s cultural and food capital with tons to do.
To add, 395 is another great north-south route to MA, especially if you are going to Newton or Metro West.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
I'm relocating to CT to be closer to family and I grew up on the Shoreline (Old Saybrook.) I'm a leaving a job in Waltham and I live in Boston (Roslindale for 13 years, Hyde Park for 2.) I know Newton very well. West Hartford is Hartford's version of Newton. It's kind of a mini-version.
Or Hartford's version of Brookline. Coolidge Corner is about same distance from downtown Boston as West Hartford Center is from downtown Hartford. Both have lots to do.

Quote:
The towns you are considering are more or less Hartford's version of Metrowest suburbs. That tax rates are going to be higher, but the price of the house will be more for your money than Newton. Taxes will be similar on similar sized houses, but you will be paying MUCH less for the house while paying a much higher rate. Some people are only concerned about the total taxes. Personally, a high rate annoys me.
Right. Seems odd to move to a town like Newton that's highly taxed to support gold plated schools.

Quote:
You might want to consider the Shoreline towns, in particular Old Lyme, Old Saybrook, and Essex. There is plenty of shopping and restaurants close. Old Saybrook is more commercial. There isn't much in Old Lyme, but East Lyme and Waterford are 10-15 minutes away. From Essex, Old Saybrook and the Westbrook outlets are close. I'm also a big fan of East Lyme. They all offer lower taxes than the Hartford suburbs (less difference in East Lyme) and access to beaches. You also have quick access to both Amtrak and Shoreline East Trains. The downside is that it's further from Newton.
If the OP found Tolland and Ellington too far from big box stores then nothing else up that way will appeal. Stafford Springs seems like a nice place but it's really small town living. The shore towns will have more retirees, a more Newton-like mix of professionals and academics, not as many Trump-Pence signs (this year anyway), and plenty of shopping.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:55 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

Um how about 84?

91 is a main artery to Springfield which is another 1.5+ hours to Boston.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:52 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
It depends on how far out you are comfortable living, but at least glance at areas west of Hartford along 84, like Farmington. Farmington has lower taxes than Avon and is a bit more convenient to the interstate. It's about 1.5 hours to the 495/128 interchange during non-peak hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut