Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 08:07 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
The question is then, what do you want them to look like?
no one is doing brick and concrete anymore, too costly. No one is carving gargoyles in stone anymore, too time consuming.
Most human construction needs to be some form of square, boxy or it won't hold up.
There are tons of treatments that can be done on both the facade and the structure to make it seem less boiler plate. They just chose not to. It's fine now but as Jay points out in a lot shorter of a time frame than we imagine it's going to look insanely dated and, well, drab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 11:42 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
There are tons of treatments that can be done on both the facade and the structure to make it seem less boiler plate. They just chose not to. It's fine now but as Jay points out in a lot shorter of a time frame than we imagine it's going to look insanely dated and, well, drab.
Yes, there are many things that could be done to improve the architecture of these buildings. Whether it’s better proportions on the building (windows, doors and overall structure), better siding and roofing, thicker more bold trim to create attractive showdown line, or detailing, it’s important to create a more timeless building that fits into the scale of the neighborhood. Many of the new buildings I see lack this attention to detail to save money. Developers will call it contemporary and stylish but in reality it’s just cheap and cheap looking. The new “affordable” buildings I see proposed in Fairfield are doing this. It’s just ugly IMHO. Jay

Old 08-13-2020, 12:02 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes, there are many things that could be done to improve the architecture of these buildings. Whether it’s better proportions on the building (windows, doors and overall structure), better siding and roofing, thicker more bold trim to create attractive showdown line, or detailing, it’s important to create a more timeless building that fits into the scale of the neighborhood. Many of the new buildings I see lack this attention to detail to save money. Developers will call it contemporary and stylish but in reality it’s just cheap and cheap looking. The new “affordable” buildings I see proposed in Fairfield are doing this. It’s just ugly IMHO. Jay

One man's junk is another's treasure. What looks cheap to one looks contemporary to another.
Everyone wants the natural light of larger or floor to ceiling windows. That's in demand.
I'm a fan of the old stuff and a fan of the modern boxy minimalist. I don't know what people will think down the road. Hard to say.
Remember, all that siding, bold trim and detailing is costly to maintain over the long run.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:03 PM

980 posts, read 597,917 times
Quote:
I think different styles are appropriate in different neighborhoods. This new style, in my mind, is fine with larger buildings are more urban settings. So where most of it is being proposed (the Commerce Drive/BRT area) I think it's appropriate and a fantastic upgrade to the parking lots and urban blight that was there before.

I do think however that the apartment building next to St Thomas on the Post Road is a little out of place.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
I think different styles are appropriate in different neighborhoods. This new style, in my mind, is fine with larger buildings are more urban settings. So where most of it is being proposed (the Commerce Drive/BRT area) I think it's appropriate and a fantastic upgrade to the parking lots and urban blight that was there before.

I do think however that the apartment building next to St Thomas on the Post Road is a little out of place.
A little out of place? It’s pretty ugly. It should have been a signature building with its heart of the center location.

And that just approved monstrosity on Unquowa Place and that thing proposed on Beach Road are the worst. The new building on the corner of Black Rock Turnpike and Moritz Place is pretty ugly too. These builders don’t care. They build them fast and cheap for a quick profit.

Even the buildings in the Commerce Drive area could have been better. Remember we are building structures that will be around for generations. They should reflect the affluence and character of the community rather than be more of the same bland boxes you see across the country. JMHO, Jay

Old 08-15-2020, 12:43 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Didn't just want to complain and complain without bringing something to the table and though I'm not positive that pinterest (which I personally hate) links are allowed here but this collection had a few elements that would've made those new buildings in Stamford or Fairfield pop a bit more... and really doesn't take much!

https://www.pinterest.com/fliwanag/modern-mid-rise/

Particularly style like this:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/313422455314789143/

But swooping roofs, topped ornaments, interesting awnings, and while I know it's a pain ivy walls would've made a world of difference. Really anything haha

Old 08-15-2020, 05:55 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
A little out of place? It’s pretty ugly. It should have been a signature building with its heart of the center location.

And that just approved monstrosity on Unquowa Place and that thing proposed on Beach Road are the worst. The new building on the corner of Black Rock Turnpike and Moritz Place is pretty ugly too. These builders don’t care. They build them fast and cheap for a quick profit.

Even the buildings in the Commerce Drive area could have been better. Remember we are building structures that will be around for generations. They should reflect the affluence and character of the community rather than be more of the same bland boxes you see across the country. JMHO, Jay
I find that to be inaccurate. The center build has an attractive brick exterior thats fits in well with the adjacent brick buildings next door and church. I just happen to be by there just a few hours ago, literally.

The Commerce drive area is a far cry from Southport, Greenfield Hills, and the center. There's not much in the way of character. The development is a marked improvement from the industrial blight.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I find that to be inaccurate. The center build has an attractive brick exterior thats fits in well with the adjacent brick buildings next door and church. I just happen to be by there just a few hours ago, literally.

The Commerce drive area is a far cry from Southport, Greenfield Hills, and the center. There's not much in the way of character. The development is a marked improvement from the industrial blight.
Well to each their own. Maybe the building by St. Thomas is looking better today. I haven’t been by there since it was under construction and it really looked out of place to me. That said the Unquowa Place and Beach Road proposed buildings are not in character or scale for their areas. There are no four story buildings filling their entire lots in those areas. The buildings are mostly two story and have room on their lots. They are mostly colonial in architecture and not giant brick boxes.

I can’t argue that the Commerce Drive area looks better than the tired industrial area it once was but the town had a great opportunity to make it something special that would last the decades but instead choose to ignore aesthetics. The architecture could have been interesting and inspiring. Instead it’s bland and boxy. It will be out of style within a decade. Kind of sad. Jay

Old 08-16-2020, 10:51 AM

980 posts, read 597,917 times
Quote:

The Center building's looking better as it's getting close to completion but again I agree it's out of place.

Honestly the Mortiz building isn't any more ugly than the endless strip mall along BRT - that stretch of town isn't exactly charming.

Also, while I'm not a fan of the 131 Beach Road condo, I'm OK with it as long as it doesn't rise above the treeline.

The one I will absolutely agree with you on though is the Unquowa Place building. It's extremely bland and doesn't even have color contrast to make it interesting.

That being said I think the "modern" (I don't know what else to call it) arctitecture is fine when done right, like the examples that Beeker showed.

No matter what style you make those buildings they'll deviate from the "small town" character. While I appreciate the sense of community that Fairfield has I also know that the town is getting bigger (and I have no issue with that). It's no small town anymore and it never will be again. That being said just go west of the Mill River and look at Merwins Lane if you need a trip to Vermont

The town's diversity of landscapes is one of the reasons why I love it. As long as they don't touch GFH and the remaining woodlands I'm fine with Downtown/ the Commerce Drive area becoming more urban.

P.S. Since this thread's been going somewhat off topic about Fairfield development for a couple pages now should I/we make a "Fairfield Development" thread?

Old 08-16-2020, 11:26 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Maybe post in the Bridgeport development thread? We have a few for the biggest cities but it will get unwieldy if we have one for multiple towns. Or start one for misc towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut