Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 PM

39 posts, read 164,354 times

Advertisements

I've lived in New Haven for 22 of my 26 years...including growing up one block away from Edgewood Ave, Beaver Hills, East Rock, and East Haven.

It depends on where on Edgewood the place is. Upper Edgewood in Westville is very nice and quiet. Lower Edgewood, beyond the park towards downtown, is a little more "shady", not because very crazy things happen directly on the street, but because it borders some poorer areas. I would live anywhere on Edgewood with no problem, but I do recognize that I feel comfortable because I grew up here and also don't have any children.

Interestingly enough, I read in the New Yorker that Bill and Hillary Clinton lived on lower Edgewood by the park when Bill was in school at Yale, most likely the same area where the OP is looking to move.

I would also recommend East Rock as a good alternative; it seems to meet all of the OP's criteria....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 09:47 AM

172 posts, read 577,716 times
i agree. i have 2 small children and would avoid edgewood. east rock and westville are better options. will your husband be driving north or south on 91 to go to work? if south there are some other great towns to consider that will still eep you near a metro-north station.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:50 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
I lived as a single woman near Edgewood (the Hobart/Hubinger/Brownell area) with no problems. I went about during the day like a normal person and kept my street smarts sharp at night, as you would anywhere.

I am beginning to think any urban area in CT whips most City Data people into a panic unless it is the high priced neighborhood of said urban area.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:55 PM

127 posts, read 520,985 times
haha. agreed mels.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:13 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I am beginning to think any urban area in CT whips most City Data people into a panic unless it is the high priced neighborhood of said urban area.
Couldn't have said it better

Old 01-01-2009, 06:01 PM

18 posts, read 93,079 times
Yikes! I'm revisiting this thread and now I feel like I have to defend myself in light of the "whipped into a panic" comment. I'm not afraid of urban areas--I've lived in Queens and Washington Heights, and in fact we chose New Haven because we wanted an urban area, specifically. That said, I need to know that I won't be living in a neighborhood populated by roaming bands of people with guns.

Anyway, just as an update, we moved to Westville. Thanks so much to everyone who offered their advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut