Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 06:46 PM

4,387 posts, read 3,267,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose718 View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to CT. I’ve landed a job in New Britain CT and he’s to work in Fairfield CT. Any suggestions as far as what the best towns are to live in between the two. We’re in our late 30’s, no kids yet. We live in NY. So preferably a town with things to do, affordable but a bit modern, very diverse, good variety of restaurants. We’re looking for a one to two(potential future kids) for less than $1300/month. We have 2 cats. We’d love the apartment to be updated with a balcony and lots of windows. We love to hike as well and be a nature so nice parks etc would also be nice. Thank you all for your suggestions!
I live in Trumbull which is near Fairfield. I am pretty sure that the traffic on I-91 will be pretty bad commuting to Fairfield. The traffic would be better on Route 8. It's not about how many miles between the two spots. I would say maybe Seymour or Ansonia.

Trust me, the person going to Fairfield is going to have the tougher commute through Fairfield County. Even though you will be closer in miles to Fairfield it will take longer than New Britain. I have been commuting from Trumbull to Stamford and points in between for 23 year and the traffic stinks in Fairfield County. Did you know that there are 6 counties in CT and Fairfield County has abut 1/3 of the population. Just think about what that does to a commute through Fairfield County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 01:30 PM

898 posts, read 591,760 times
What are your jobs? As others have mentioned the traffic situation in FF county, distance between your jobs is a big deal, especially if you are planning a family. You have to deal with daycare, preschool, then before you know it sports/dance/music. Parents kinda need to be close to where the kids go to school. Hamden was brought up. If Mom is 30 minutes plus with no traffic, and dad is 50 minutes plus with no traffic, it becomes an issue. I used to work in Cromwell and from New Britain to Hamden you need to go down I-91. Almost daily the traffic on 91 south was backed up past where it intersected RT9. Basically my opinion is that you and your husband need to work within 10 miles of one another and live in that area. New Britain and Fairfield are just too far apart... once you have a child. Good luck... Decent house prices in NB but schools are an issue and a 1 hour plus commute for your husband just isn't fair. If you both work 8-4:30, he leaves for work at 6:30am and gets home at 6:30pm. You leave at 7:45 and home at 4:45. Your plan doesn't really work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut