Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 08:55 PM

1,361 posts, read 990,279 times

Advertisements

Hope everyone is healthy and doing well

I started a thread not too long ago about buying a house. Thanks to all who chimed in there.

My plan has changed, and instead of buying a house towards the end of the year, I am looking to buy a condo/townhouse now (ok, it is kinda getting on to the end of the year anyway), as I have the money to pay cash, and I am thinking, why am I still paying rent? In a few years, I will save up enough money to put a sizeable dpymt on a house, and maybe take out a 125/150k mortgage. The condo will then go to my mom.

And that's the kicker - my mom. I love my mom, and want to see her happy. She currently lives in Queens (where I am from) and can get to whatever shopping she needs to do, by walking. She needs occasional cab transport, but that's once every couple of months at best. This, because she doesn't drive. She is 77, and can get around just fine, and take care of herself just fine, but that's not going to last forever, and I want to be closer to her in the coming years. Currently, I am a 4-hr round trip. So, if I buy a house near the condo after I give it to her... 10 min, 15 min away, that'd work just fine. When she needs me, or when she gets to the point where she can't shop and do all the things she needs to, I will be there. In the meantime, I can't buy a condo - one that's going to go to her in 3-4 yrs - that's in an area where you absolutely have to have a car to get anywhere. I have to buy one with her in mind.

Anyone know of any condo/townhouse complexes that are walking distance from shopping, and other "to do" things? I work from home, so commuting is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 09:58 PM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Get a RE agent.
We are left coasters, east side of Seattle. From our experience, a condo with all the attributes are uncommon but not rare. The condo we live in took us a year to find with a RE agent and DS doing most of the search. We lived 5 hours away by train, 210 miles. We are now 70/73.
Our condo, DS found in 2017, was listed on Thursday. Opened house on Friday-Sat. Under contract by Monday afternoon. Official closing of bids was supposed to be on Tuesday. DS called us Thursday evening. I put DW on the 6:50am Amtrak Cascades to Seattle. Arrive Seattle, 12:30. DS met DW and RE agent at condo at 1pm open house start. Liked the place and environs, as you desire. We have a walk score of 85pts. Offered went in at 9am Sat. What RE rep later told us, we bid against 14 others. 7 went up to 15% over ask. 2 went to 20% over and cash offers. 1, us, did 22.5% over, financed. The condo was underpriced but appropriate according to comps in the area. The comps did not reflect a good walkscore because condos previously listed were slightly further out or dated. The last time a condo was previously sold in our building was in 2015, not a great year.

Advice: get a local RE. Become somewhat familiar to the areas that are possibilities. Be pre-approved for a loan. Mom needs to be 100% On board and be able to move quickly. You may have to make a fast but intelligent decision. We took possession and rented unit out for 7 months, giving us time to sell our home and acreage.

The 1+1 condo across the hall was listed last month, and under contract in 4 days. I won't see the numbers until it's recorded and available on Zillow.

GL

Old 09-19-2020, 10:39 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post

I started a thread not too long ago about buying a house. Thanks to all who chimed in there.

My plan has changed, and instead of buying a house towards the end of the year, I am looking to buy a condo/townhouse now (ok, it is kinda getting on to the end of the year anyway), as I have the money to pay cash, and I am thinking, why am I still paying rent? In a few years, I will save up enough money to put a sizeable dpymt on a house, and maybe take out a 125/150k mortgage. The condo will then go to my mom.

And that's the kicker - my mom. I love my mom, and want to see her happy. She currently lives in Queens (where I am from) and can get to whatever shopping she needs to do, by walking. She needs occasional cab transport, but that's once every couple of months at best. This, because she doesn't drive. She is 77, and can get around just fine, and take care of herself just fine, but that's not going to last forever, and I want to be closer to her in the coming years. Currently, I am a 4-hr round trip. So, if I buy a house near the condo after I give it to her... 10 min, 15 min away, that'd work just fine. When she needs me, or when she gets to the point where she can't shop and do all the things she needs to, I will be there. In the meantime, I can't buy a condo - one that's going to go to her in 3-4 yrs - that's in an area where you absolutely have to have a car to get anywhere. I have to buy one with her in mind.

Anyone know of any condo/townhouse complexes that are walking distance from shopping, and other "to do" things? I work from home, so commuting is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.
I’m trying to think of condos that fill your needs. I was in a condo in East Haven, exactly 1 mile to Stop and Shop, several banks, post office, library, senior center but I wouldn’t recommend that condo, as it is in major decline. There are however, 2-family homes in that same area. However if your mother lived in some towns, there is a dial-a-ride service for transportation and most senior centers have their own vans or busses for shopping trips.

If I can think of a town that meets your needs I will post again. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2020, 08:44 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Can you put the link to the thread that listed your wants in a house. I don't remember it and I can't find it. I am not sure where YOU want your house, work situation etc. Thanks

I understand what you want. I live in Trumbull and we got a condo for my mom and dad in Monroe about 10 minutes from my house. That has become VERY important as my mom got older. If I didn't live so close to my mom (my dad passed away) it would be very difficult now that my mom is 85, doesn't drive and needs help. shopping, cleaning etc.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:46 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
What’s your budget?

Old 09-20-2020, 06:37 PM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
As Stylo asked what is your budget? Also what do you expect for that budget and how far from New York are you willing to be? There are many places you could look. Many town centers or cities here have condos in or near them. You just need to look for them. Offhand I can think of condos near shopping in Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport, Trumbull, Hamden, New Haven, Wallingford, West Haven, Middletown, Newington Rocky Hill and many more. Tell us a little more so we can help you find a place. Jay

Old 09-21-2020, 07:54 PM

1,361 posts, read 990,279 times
Thanks for the replies!

Other thread is here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...hould-buy.html

So, budget is $275. Which takes several areas off the list. Like, New Caanan as one ex.

I don't have to be in close proximity to NY. If the plan is to move my mom to CT eventually, and then to buy a house near the condo I give her, we don't need to be near NY. Which then gets me thinking about RI... maybe?

I looked at a condo in Glastonbury. Not for me (layout, kitchen about the size of a doll house), but it was 2 bed, 2.5 bath, 1400 sq ft, listed at $235. Had the layout been better and the kit even a little bigger, it would be perfect for me. But I wouldn't be able to buy it because it is near absolutely nothing. And I get the 'dial-a-ride service for transportation' thing, but I don't want to leave my mom in the middle of nowhere, so that when she walks outside, there is nothing but trees and sky.

So, in Glastonbury, there is a small shopping center that houses a WFoods, and some other things. I am there once in a while. Then there is MainSt, with other stuff. If there was a condo complex within walking distance of that WFoods, that would be perfect. But there is none. There is an apt. complex right there, but those are rentals, and not the type of place I can live, construction-wise. And not where I would want to put my mom.

Get a RE agent.

That's a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I live in Trumbull and we got a condo for my mom and dad in Monroe about 10 minutes from my house.
Hmmm. Just took a look.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...78403649_zpid/?

2 bd 3 ba 1,679 Square Feet (I know you cant always take sq ft literally) for $245

That is really nice, and would be perfect for me. The wall colors are yuck, but you don't say no to a property b/c of wall color; that can be changed. Thing is, looking at the map, it's not near anything. Not complaining here, just making an observation. Again.

The good side is, I don't have to move anytime soon. I would like to get out of paying rent ASAP, but I am not in a get out immediately sit. So, I can take my time and look.

Will contact some realtors soon - thx for the suggestion. You know - that's kinda like post-its. Why didn't I think of that???

Cheers.

Last edited by riffwraith; 09-21-2020 at 08:23 PM..

Old 09-21-2020, 08:22 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
There’s several condos in Milford in the Woodmont/Point Beach-ish area that are walkable to a few shops, a Dollar General, farm store with local produce, an IGA supermarket, restaurants, etc. Very nice area and pretty walkable with sidewalks and beautiful coastline. Always people out walking dogs, running, biking. Community events. Weekly farmer’s market. Has some life to it.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...ource=txtshare

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...ource=txtshare

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...ource=txtshare

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...ource=txtshare

There’s condos by Walnut Beach too, which has everything but the grocery store in walking distance. There’s also the Foxwood condos near Whole Foods.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...ource=txtshare

Can’t speak to other towns, no affordable condos come to mind at that price and requirements— but if she’s used to urban living maybe something in Westville or East Rock New Haven could work too.

Last edited by Stylo; 09-21-2020 at 08:31 PM..

Old 09-21-2020, 09:22 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I read the old thread and now I understand. If you like Guilford.....Branford which borders Guilford might be a good place to buy the condo that you would pass on to your mom. Branford has a nice little downtown area and it has lots of condos. You would still be close to Guilford.

Here is what I think you need and correct me if I am wrong.

1) Buy a condo for yourself NOW while your mom still lives in NY. How much is the budget for the condo?
2) Buy a house (preferably cape) for yourself at about $275,000 then have your mom go live in the condo (and pay the mortgage on the condo?). The house needs to be close to the condo.

I can tell you about Branford because I am looking into this for myself. Your mother doesn't need a condo right near a large grocery store because senior services can take her there and I think I remember for either no charge or minimal charge. If she lived near the little downtown area she would be walkable to many things but not a large grocery store but it's not that far. There is a little grocery store called Caron's Corner and that would probably be pretty good for most things.

There are actually condos for the seniors right in the downtown but the drawback is that you can't live in them. They are one and two bedroom condos. Here is a sold 2 bedroom on Rose Street.
https://www.redfin.com/CT/Branford/4.../home/54119413
There are actually lots of condos in the area but so little inventory right now I can't think of them all so I have to show you sold condos that I a trying to remember. Some of the condos are way over your price range.
There are these little condos that are right there downtown. You can live in them. They are small but would probably be good for your mom when you move on. I have talked to seniors who live in these condos and they love the location.
https://www.redfin.com/CT/Branford/1.../home/54119272
These are close to the downtown green and are nicer. I am considering these myself. It's nice little walk.... less than 10 minutes.
https://www.compass.com/listing/2-ch...31410475883905
These are a little further and the walk is ore difficult as you need to cross over Route 1. My husband and I did it and I ruled these out but they are nice.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...5/pid_29743727
Then there is this one too that is very small and a little further away from downtown too near Manorwood Condos.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...7/pid_37403546

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...c/pid_32125657
These are really nice and ear the water. But look at the taxes and common charges.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...c/pid_30570940

So I have given you some things to think about. Hopefully other posters can give you other ideas/towns. I can't think of a lot of places in your budget for both you and your moms needs.

I almost forgot there are apartments for seniors on Rose Street right at the little green. If you wanted to buy a house your mom can rent. Not not be a bad idea. I seem to remember they are very affordable....maybe about $950 or $1000 but not positive.
https://www.apartments.com/rose-hill...ord-ct/d9r73hl

Last edited by CTartist; 09-21-2020 at 10:06 PM..

Old 09-21-2020, 10:02 PM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

Other thread is here:

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/con...hould-buy.html

So, budget is $275. Which takes several areas off the list. Like, New Caanan as one ex.

I don't have to be in close proximity to NY. If the plan is to move my mom to CT eventually, and then to buy a house near the condo I give her, we don't need to be near NY. Which then gets me thinking about RI... maybe?

I looked at a condo in Glastonbury. Not for me (layout, kitchen about the size of a doll house), but it was 2 bed, 2.5 bath, 1400 sq ft, listed at $235. Had the layout been better and the kit even a little bigger, it would be perfect for me. But I wouldn't be able to buy it because it is near absolutely nothing. And I get the 'dial-a-ride service for transportation' thing, but I don't want to leave my mom in the middle of nowhere, so that when she walks outside, there is nothing but trees and sky.

So, in Glastonbury, there is a small shopping center that houses a WFoods, and some other things. I am there once in a while. Then there is MainSt, with other stuff. If there was a condo complex within walking distance of that WFoods, that would be perfect. But there is none. There is an apt. complex right there, but those are rentals, and not the type of place I can live, construction-wise. And not where I would want to put my mom.

Get a RE agent.

That's a good idea.

Hmmm. Just took a look.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...78403649_zpid/?

2 bd 3 ba 1,679 Square Feet (I know you cant always take sq ft literally) for $245

That is really nice, and would be perfect for me. The wall colors are yuck, but you don't say no to a property b/c of wall color; that can be changed. Thing is, looking at the map, it's not near anything. Not complaining here, just making an observation. Again.

The good side is, I don't have to move anytime soon. I would like to get out of paying rent ASAP, but I am not in a get out immediately sit. So, I can take my time and look.

Will contact some realtors soon - thx for the suggestion. You know - that's kinda like post-its. Why didn't I think of that???

Cheers.
There are several condo complexes that are right by the Glastonbury Whole Foods. Whitney Lane is right behind it off of Grove Street which is the street that runs on the side of it. Across from that is Newbury Lane. And then on New London Turnpike, opposite Grove Street is the Glen Lochen condos. Below are links to units for sale in the first two. I don’t see anything for sale in Glen Lochen. There’s also a new complex on Naubuc Avenue behind Katz Hardware but I believe they are all sold out. zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...78062758_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...33/2078569527_

There are also a couple condos on New London Turnpike that are walkable to the Oak Street Stop & Shop. The Soap Factory on Williams Street has a unit for sale. There’s also a small unit on Rockhaven that walkable to it. There’s a couple other small complexes in that area as well but there do not appear to be units for sale in them though. Jay

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...74062530_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...78569527_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut