Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 12:41 PM

34,688 posts, read 56,476,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lre2456 View Post
OP here, only one wall (N) is entirely below ground, everything else is above ground. In fact, if you look at the home from the sides or back, it looks like a full 2-story home. It has full ceiling height, no carpet, no mold/mildew or flooding issues and there is no-step walkout straight into the backyard. We’ve seen both ways of listing (don’t include/do include) in our area, but on all of those the basement was either 100% below grade of at best 75%. Our goal isn’t to scam buyers or play the “fake square footage” game - we are just genuinely curious about options..we would of course disclose what is on the lower level and that bank appraisals can throw a wrench in any plan, but it is a big difference in terms of marketing (1900 vs 3800 livable sq ft).
Go by what the town records indicate. Those are the official numbers and you can’t get in trouble using them. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 12:47 PM

6,618 posts, read 3,570,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lre2456 View Post
OP here, only one wall (N) is entirely below ground, everything else is above ground. In fact, if you look at the home from the sides or back, it looks like a full 2-story home. It has full ceiling height, no carpet, no mold/mildew or flooding issues and there is no-step walkout straight into the backyard. We’ve seen both ways of listing (don’t include/do include) in our area, but on all of those the basement was either 100% below grade of at best 75%. Our goal isn’t to scam buyers or play the “fake square footage” game - we are just genuinely curious about options..we would of course disclose what is on the lower level and that bank appraisals can throw a wrench in any plan, but it is a big difference in terms of marketing (1900 vs 3800 livable sq ft).
Pick up a phone, I know, it stinks, who picks up a phone anymore. Call the town building dept and tax assessor to get it squared away properly. Call them seperately, they can be notorius for not communicating with each other.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:02 PM

3,482 posts, read 9,383,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Pick up a phone, I know, it stinks, who picks up a phone anymore. Call the town building dept and tax assessor to get it squared away properly. Call them seperately, they can be notorius for not communicating with each other.
No need to even talk to anyone for the tax assessor's info! I think just about every CT municipality has that information available online.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:26 PM

6,618 posts, read 3,570,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
No need to even talk to anyone for the tax assessor's info! I think just about every CT municipality has that information available online.
A call just to see if they are in sync with the building dept for records and permits.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:45 AM

23 posts, read 48,821 times
I used to own a condo with a finished basement. Agents listing in that complex would usually list the above-grade square footage, but then would also say "xxx sq ft of additional living space in finished basement".

Make sure you have all of the permitting / certificate of occupancy for the finished basement squared away. I almost lost my sale over that. Banks can refuse to underwrite the buyer's mortgage over that now.

In my case, I ended up having to "fire" my family attorney over this. When I bought the condo, he set up the closing with title insurance that didn't cover anything below-grade, and I was left holding the bag for thousands of dollars to have my basement ripped open and put back together to satisfy the town building inspector because some previous owner of the condo didn't do their paperwork 20+ years ago and banks only started caring about It after I bought the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut