Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 12:52 PM

21,718 posts, read 28,042,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
...and that’s before I bring up how inconvenient both can be to big box shopping. The family I know in Madison drives to Meriden or West Farms.
For what? There’s outlets, a Walmart, Home Depot, a Costco, Kohl’s etc nearby. And lots of big box in North Haven too. Malls are dying so I can’t imagine anyone basing proximity to a mall as a reason to live somewhere.

People fawn over Redding, Litchfield towns too—no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 01:03 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,143,225 times
South Windsor deserves it. Very nice town. They are factoring in affordability. I feel like a lot of you folks are high earners where that doesn't come into play as much. Plus it's convenient to Hartford, Manchester, West Hartford. Finally, East Of The River is much better.

Jay's list of better towns illustrates the point. Many of those towns lose to South Windsor on bang for you buck. Many also lose on location convenience.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:56 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
For what? There’s outlets, a Walmart, Home Depot, a Costco, Kohl’s etc nearby. And lots of big box in North Haven too. Malls are dying so I can’t imagine anyone basing proximity to a mall as a reason to live somewhere.

People fawn over Redding, Litchfield towns too—no different.
It’s really difficult to make the argument that M and G are convenient. They aren’t - at all. They’re far from plentiful shopping, airports and are a good 25-30 from the nearest mid sized employment center.

People here do not fawn over Redding the way they do over Madison and Guilford. Not even close.

Anyway, guys, it’s my opinion. Let it be.

Old 09-27-2020, 12:46 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It’s really difficult to make the argument that M and G are convenient. They aren’t - at all. They’re far from plentiful shopping, airports and are a good 25-30 from the nearest mid sized employment center.

People here do not fawn over Redding the way they do over Madison and Guilford. Not even close.

Anyway, guys, it’s my opinion. Let it be.
Sorry Kid but when I have brought up the lack of access to major shopping in the Branford/Guilford/Madison area in past thread, you pointed to the stores that Stylo mentions and to the two outlet centers nearby. This means that there is pretty much everything you need nearby but for a dyehard mall shopper the area is lacking. To most that would not be a deal breaker.

It’s not unlike the Farmington River Valley where you have most needed shopping along Route 44 but is a trip to Westfarms Mall. The trip from Simsbury to Westfarms is 12 miles but takes 20-25 minutes because it’s on back roads. The trip from Guilford to the Connecticut Post Mall in Milford is 20 miles but take about the same time because it’s all highway. The big box stores on Universal Drive in North Haven are 18 miles away and a similar travel time. It’s not ideal but to me the charm and beachy atmosphere of Madison and Guilford override the minor inconvenience of not being near a mall or having a large selection of big box stores. Jay

Old 09-27-2020, 12:52 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry Kid but when I have brought up the lack of access to major shopping in the Branford/Guilford/Madison area in past thread, you pointed to the stores that Stylo mentions and to the two outlet centers nearby. This means that there is pretty much everything you need nearby but for a dyehard mall shopper the area is lacking. To most that would not be a deal breaker.

It’s not unlike the Farmington River Valley where you have most needed shopping along Route 44 but is a trip to Westfarms Mall. The trip from Simsbury to Westfarms is 12 miles but takes 20-25 minutes because it’s on back roads. The trip from Guilford to the Connecticut Post Mall in Milford is 20 miles but take about the same time because it’s all highway. The big box stores on Universal Drive in North Haven are 18 miles away and a similar travel time. It’s not ideal but to me the charm and beachy atmosphere of Madison and Guilford override the minor inconvenience of not being near a mall or having a large selection of big box stores. Jay
Perhaps in the past - but I have since visited our old family home on the central CT shoreline before we got rid of it. It’s quite removed. A town resident even commented on this thread confirming those thoughts.

Either way, like I said, we need to let others have their opinion on here without constantly replying to prove them wrong. Agree to disagree.

Old 09-27-2020, 01:02 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Quote:
North Guilford is beautiful. The mix of areas makes these towns really special. Also, the majority of the population in each are near 95. If you want to make use of the great schools but be in secluded area, you have the choice. No one buying in these towns are forced to choose. Lots of variety.
I agree and the same thing could be said about north Madison. I love driving both Route 77 and Route 79 between Durham and the shore, especially this time of year. Lake Quinnopoug is particularly pretty. These roads are both semi rural with some interesting homes here and there. There is no ugly sprawl, gasoline alleys or commercial strIps. I get that not everyone wants a rural or semi rural area but that does mean the area is mediocre and these two routes are anything but that. Jay

Old 09-27-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree and the same thing could be said about north Madison. I love driving both Route 77 and Route 79 between Durham and the shore, especially this time of year. Lake Quinnopoug is particularly pretty. These roads are both semi rural with some interesting homes here and there. There is no ugly sprawl, gasoline alleys or commercial strIps. I get that not everyone wants a rural or semi rural area but that does mean the area is mediocre and these two routes are anything but that. Jay
Also, Rt 148 - one of the best roads in the state.

Old 09-27-2020, 02:44 PM

417 posts, read 600,029 times
Quote:
Also, Rt 148 - one of the best roads in the state.
Route 148 actually never passes through Madison. It's almost entirely in Killingworth/Chester.

Old 09-27-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskReturn View Post
Route 148 actually never passes through Madison. It's almost entirely in Killingworth/Chester.
Yeah, I know, but a beautiful region in general.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:56 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,090 times
Came to the CT forum hoping to see this article and all of your comments. Planning a relo to CT & have been doing my homework. Spent the past weekend in CT & MA and knocked a few CT towns off my list...and added a few more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut