Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 03:55 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times

Advertisements

PZB rejects Milford mall apartments. Trouble ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 05:56 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
PZB rejects Milford mall apartments. Trouble ahead.
Dumb move.

Edit: On second thought, I just looked up what the mall pays in taxes. $3.8 million. Total grand list in 2016 was $6.5 billion. So .5% of the total tax revenue.

I'd pay .5% in extra taxes for that mall to fail and a better use be found for that site. It doesn't do much for our town. Attracts a bad element and adds nothing to our quality of life.

Old 10-07-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Dumb move.

Edit: On second thought, I just looked up what the mall pays in taxes. $3.8 million. Total grand list in 2016 was $6.5 billion. So .5% of the total tax revenue.

I'd pay .5% in extra taxes for that mall to fail and a better use be found for that site. It doesn't do much for our town. Attracts a bad element and adds nothing to our quality of life.

Employs a ton of marginally skilled citizens also, and the mall is valued at about 2% of the Grand List. Add in, the surrounding retail is either dying or will w/o the mall.

It has not attracted a good crowd of patrons.

However, I do not think it would be put to better use. We do not need offices. We have a ton available.

Old 10-07-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Employs a ton of marginally skilled citizens also, and the mall is valued at about 2% of the Grand List. Add in, the surrounding retail is either dying or will w/o the mall.
Right, my math was off.

Still, I'll take 2% higher taxes. Not that it would ever be totally worthless and without any owner for a considerable time with that location.

Less retail = less competition. It would bring less traffic to the area, but that might offset a boon to other retailers.

I could see a future where the mall is bankrupted or sold, and they keep high performing Target and most of the rest of the mall is razed or re-imagined. The movie theater should also do well post-pandemic, as its yesteryear competition is gone in Bridgeport, Orange, and Stratford. Higher education/medical would be a great use as Yale just keeps growing.

I remember hearing from a friend that RH was looking for a distribution center locally, that would also be an outlet. Amazon is looking for space too. That kind of use makes sense too.

I'd rather that, than this behemoth languishing.

Old 10-07-2020, 06:44 PM

An Amazon DC is the only reuse I see as possible.

US1 Milford is full of empty retail locations.

The tipping point at Milford will be when Macys exits, as the entire chain is in dire shape.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:16 PM

4,448 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:

The tipping point at Milford will be when Macys exits, as the entire chain is in dire shape.
Lord and Taylor and now Macys?

Old 10-07-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
US1 Milford is full of empty retail locations.
Considering what’s going on right now, it’s really not that bad.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:46 PM

4,448 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:

It has not attracted a good crowd of patrons.

However, I do not think it would be put to better use. We do not need offices. We have a ton available.
That's not so bad but as a resident of Trumbull I'm screwed. I just looked up all the info on AdvanceCT (the old CERC website).

The Milford Mall is about 2.2% of the grand list. My Trumbull Mall is about 4.6% of the grand list and our taxes are already high. Trumbull does not have all of Milford's commerce and that is why we need to have the apartments go in near our mall. We also need to let the new mall owners and our zoning board do what ever they need to do to save our mall area.
Here is the info Connecticut Malls - What are their Futures?-milfordgrandlist.jpg

The Trumbull Mall has four anchors: Target, Macys, Lord & Taylor (that's gone) and JC Pennys. It seems Pennys and Macys are in big trouble. If three of the Trumbull Mall anchors go out I can't imagine what will happen. It will kind of be like a mill town when the mill shuts down. Trumbull's first major employer according to AdvanceCT is the mall.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Lord and Taylor and now Macys?
Correct. Macys has been bleeding cash a long time, and covid made it worse. Same thing expediting the demise of retail..cash flow.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
That's not so bad but as a resident of Trumbull I'm screwed. I just looked up all the info on AdvanceCT (the old CERC website).

The Milford Mall is about 2.2% of the grand list. My Trumbull Mall is about 4.6% of the grand list and our taxes are already high. Trumbull does not have all of Milford's commerce and that is why we need to have the apartments go in near our mall. We also need to let the new mall owners and our zoning board do what ever they need to do to save our mall area.
Here is the info Attachment 224318

The Trumbull Mall has four anchors: Target, Macys, Lord & Taylor (that's gone) and JC Pennys. It seems Pennys and Macys are in big trouble. If three of the Trumbull Mall anchors go out I can't imagine what will happen. It will kind of be like a mill town when the mill shuts down. Trumbull's first major employer according to AdvanceCT is the mall.

Retail with 5,552 staff is Milford's largest sector.

I like that site.. Thanks.

Maybe we can get Woodruff Seed back? yes, teasing..

http://www.orangehistory.org/the-seed-industry.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut