Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 10:18 PM

18 posts, read 19,090 times

Advertisements

Good night everyone,

I'm an African American middle aged woman moving to CT. I'm a nurse and need to live close to medical facilities. I'm trying to find a safe place to rent an apartment before buying a home. Can anyone recommend a safe place? I've been looking at West Haven but alot of the post on here says that West Haven is not a good place to live. I would like to be someplace that is diverse. My budge is $1000. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 11:20 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
West Haven is a decent working class town. It has a few sketchy neighborhoods but nothing really bad. Schools in West Haven struggle which puts a damper on its desirability. It’s not a town people recommend to families looking for good schools. West Haven has nice beaches and parks. There’s a small downtown, decent restaurants and it has most of your every day shopping needs. Plus it is not far from major regional retail in Milford. You should be able to find a small modest apartment there in your price range. Good luck. Jay

Old 11-22-2020, 03:54 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baclisgirl View Post
Good night everyone,

I'm an African American middle aged woman moving to CT. I'm a nurse and need to live close to medical facilities. I'm trying to find a safe place to rent an apartment before buying a home. Can anyone recommend a safe place? I've been looking at West Haven but alot of the post on here says that West Haven is not a good place to live. I would like to be someplace that is diverse. My budge is $1000. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Is there a particular hospital where you will be working, or are you planning to come here and then look for a job?

Old 11-22-2020, 06:14 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baclisgirl View Post
Good night everyone,

It seems like you might be working at one of the hospitals in New Haven. There are also a lot of other medical facilities that need nurses in New Haven. If that is the case look at East Haven also.

I have a few friends that live near the water in West Haven and they love it there. I have a cousin that lives in West Haven near the University of New Haven for years. She still lives there so apparently she likes it. They all live closer to the Milford/Orange border.

I have an aunt in Hamden. That is pretty diverse and you should be able to find an apartment in your budget. A nice town near New Haven is Milford, it has some diversity and has a nice community feel to it. It might be over your budget but you never know until you look.

These crime stats are from City-Data 2018. I am curious myself. Average for the US is 274....lower is better.

Milford 117 (18% minority)
West Haven 176 (50% minority)
East Haven 132 (25% minority)
Hamden 172 (36% minority)

Crime/safety looks pretty good for all of the towns. If you find some apartments you like I would put them on here and the posters can tell you if it is a safe area.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 992,760 times
When you say close - do you mean walking distance? Or that you just don't want o drive that far/long?

If the latter, Rose Hill Estates:

https://www.rosehillestatesct.com/ro...es-norwich-ct/

is about 7-8 min from Backus Hospital. A rental should fit within your budget, and it is very safe.

Cheers.

Old 11-22-2020, 11:38 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
When you say close - do you mean walking distance? Or that you just don't want o drive that far/long?

If the latter, Rose Hill Estates:

https://www.rosehillestatesct.com/ro...es-norwich-ct/

is about 7-8 min from Backus Hospital. A rental should fit within your budget, and it is very safe.

Cheers.
The OP is asking about West Haven. The apartments and hospital you posted are in Norwich which is no where near West Haven. Jay

Old 11-22-2020, 01:44 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The OP is asking about West Haven. The apartments and hospital you posted are in Norwich which is no where near West Haven. Jay
Maybe Baclisgirl is asking for suggestions all around CT as to what would be a good area where there is plenty of work as a nurse?

I think Baclisgirl did find a good area though. From Bridgeport to New Haven which is about a 30 minute drive you have six hospitals: Bridgeport Hospital and Saint Vincent's in Bridgeport.....Milford Hospital......The VA Hospital in West Haven and that is huge, my dad went there.......Yale New Haven Hospital and Saint Raphael in New Haven.

There is such a demand in this area I think the OP would do very well and probably be able to up her rent amount.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:53 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
West Haven is fine. It’s not awful but not amazing. It has some iffy areas and some good areas. I wouldn’t write it off at all, but I’d be careful what neighborhoods you look at.

Also look into Derby and East Haven. You can probably get the most for your money in EH.

Above all, don’t move to CT without a job lined up.

Old 11-22-2020, 02:38 PM

276 posts, read 144,846 times
If you like being near the water, than you may very well like West Haven as it is a nice little beach town.

Old 11-22-2020, 02:46 PM

709 posts, read 401,897 times
According to a rival site West Haven is the 5th densest town in CT if that means anything to you. Might not but throwing it out there. People are on top of each other there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut