Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 05:50 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
As a person who lived in Stamford I can tell you it is better to take the train from Noroton in the AM. Plus if you see these schedules from "Greenwich" station & Noroton head to head there is not a big difference in time. The "Greenwich" station is faster times than the Cos Cob, Riverside and Old Greenwich stations.
Attachment 226678

Both towns have some of the best schools in the country also. I would go with the town I liked better. They are both great towns but are very different in feel, pace and outward showing of wealth. Greenwich is showier and Noroton is more reserved. If there is such think as "middle class" wealthy in southwestern Fairfield County Noroton is it.
“middle class" wealthy”

Fairfield, Trumbull, Wilton, Ridgefield, Redding, Weston, Rowayton section of Norwalk, North Stamford, Springdale and Cove Stamford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 05:57 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramre View Post
Definitely. We've been to Waveny and really quiet/peaceful parts of NC; downtowns of Darien, Westport; strolled along Compo beach, Southport village and Fairfield's beaches. The lifestyle is appealing with proximity to Maine/Cape Cod/Rhode Island in the summer and NH/Vermont in winter. Just trying to balance the rigors of daily work schedule with these amazing things that are possible with a CT address.
You're on the right track. I've said it a dozen times here before. Stalk me. I've been called out for hyperbole. It's not hyperbole, i'ts the real deal. If anything do this when you get here. GET - A - BOAT! It's a must have. Find a marina. Get out to the Norwalk Islands between the Greens Ledge and Pecks Ledge lighthouses. The most active aquatic region this side of Branford's Thimble Islands. You won't regret a minute of it. There was no better way to spend family time during a Covid staycation summer.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:02 PM

88 posts, read 91,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
At your price point, have you considered Westchester County? You can probably cut 30 minutes each way and still have decent New England access.
Oh, I did consider Westchester. Scarsdale/Pelham will cut the Metro North time significantly. Wife’s sister will end up in Greenwich, always nice to have family close by for emergency help and doing things together. Given these constraints, Greenwich/Noroton seem to be the closest I can be to work.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:07 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Oh, I did consider Westchester. Scarsdale/Pelham will cut the Metro North time significantly. Wife’s sister will end up in Greenwich, always nice to have family close by for emergency help and doing things together. Given these constraints, Greenwich/Noroton seem to be the closest I can be to work.
Scarsdale to southern Greenwich is only about a 15-20 minute drive - that’s about the same as a Noroton to Greenwich drive. Just trying to give you additional options that may work better.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Scarsdale to southern Greenwich is only about a 15-20 minute drive - that’s about the same as a Noroton to Greenwich drive. Just trying to give you additional options that may work better.
That’s a good point. Have to take this up with the Boss and have her consider options.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:14 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
That’s a good point. Have to take this up with the Boss and have her consider options.
Do keep in mind property taxes, which could limit your home spending in Scarsdale. It may be worth it to you if it cuts your commute time significantly, though, coupled with the ability to easily see family in Greenwich daily.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:38 PM

830 posts, read 1,093,502 times
We lived in Eastern Greenwich before Darien, and I find Noroton Heights a way easier commute overall than either trying to use the Riverside/Old Greenwich stations (infrequent service especially at night), or driving to the main Greenwich station (traffic can be insane). Adding in the more cohesive feel of Darien (Greenwich is really a city with many subtowns) and the small school district made it a no-brainer for us.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:01 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
“middle class" wealthy”

Fairfield, Trumbull, Wilton, Ridgefield, Redding, Weston, Rowayton section of Norwalk, North Stamford, Springdale and Cove Stamford.
Sorry I should have specified in Southwest Fairfield County where the OP is looking. I am from Stamford so I think of Southwest Fairfield County as Greenwich, Stamford, Darien and New Canaan. I left out Stamford because of the schools.

Old 01-27-2021, 03:52 PM

So we spoke with a Greenwich realtor and she suggested homes in Glenville based on our budget/sq. footage needs.

Any idea why the Western side of the town is priced significantly lower than the Eastern parts like Cos Cob/Riverside/Old Greenwich? Western Middle school appears a bit more diverse socio-economically, which is fine with us. My concern is more about any possible structural reasons: Is it in a flood-zone or in the noise path of planes going to/from Westchester county airport etc? Or is the commute to the city a hassle from Glenville?

Apparently Glenville area is closer to the Port Chester train station than the main Greenwich station. Would love to hear if anyone has experience driving/parking at Port Chester and taking the Metro North trains from there.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:09 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
So we spoke with a Greenwich realtor and she suggested homes in Glenville based on our budget/sq. footage needs.

Any idea why the Western side of the town is priced significantly lower than the Eastern parts like Cos Cob/Riverside/Old Greenwich? Western Middle school appears a bit more diverse socio-economically, which is fine with us. My concern is more about any possible structural reasons: Is it in a flood-zone or in the noise path of planes going to/from Westchester county airport etc? Or is the commute to the city a hassle from Glenville?

Apparently Glenville area is closer to the Port Chester train station than the main Greenwich station. Would love to hear if anyone has experience driving/parking at Port Chester and taking the Metro North trains from there.
Love Glenville. Wonderful area and village and convenient enough for commuting. It's Westchester through and through. I haven't heard of any issues with planes and flooding, ask Jane Realtor. I wouldn't hesitate for one second to look there if any availability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut