Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-02-2023, 12:52 PM
 
6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Reputation: 7999

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Do you have any evidence of this disgusting stereotype?

1) I think you're way overestimating the state assistance.
2) I don't think you've ever had a real conversation with someone that was in this situation intimately. Just a hunch.
1) It's not a stereotype if it's true. I've worked with them. Plural.

2) I think you are sheltered from some real life situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2023, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Fairfield County CT
4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Reputation: 2779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I mean you talk about scaring off golden gooses but home grown and incoming employers is what really gives CT it's economic dynamism. As Bob posted a lot more good companies with good jobs want inside the urban spine of CT... the insane housing costs would make recruitment and retention difficult so they look elsewhere. There has to be a healthy amount of growth to plant the seeds of trees we will never see.
Beeker2211, I was the one with the "Golden Goose" reference.

There is a lot in your post but let's take a look at the housing cost burden. I think that with the minimum wage at $14 right now and going to $15 CT probably isn't in the top 10 now. I found this link.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...ts-burden.html


For the most Cost burdened CT is not on any of the "worst Lists" on the link.

There is a map in the link where you can see on average what % each county pays of thier salary for housing. This is from the US Census so this should be correct, or close to correct.

Fairfield County..........32.2%
Litchfield County.........29.6%
New Haven County......30.7%
Hartford County..........30.6%
Middlesex County........30.4%
Tolland County............29.6%
New London County.....28.7
Windham County.........30.1%

Look at that, all of CT is pretty equal. I would have thought Fairfield County would be much higher. This will only get better when the minimum wage goes to $15 and then it is tied to inflation to raise.

The above is a testament to how good CT is to our poorer residents.

Look at this link. From 2010 to 2020 the CT population only grew by .5%.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/CT


So Beeker2211, why don't we just concentrate on the CURRENT law of putting 10% affordable housing in the suburban towns instead of social engineering something that really doesn't need to be done by the "Fair Shair" of some towns having more than 10% and even up to 20%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2023, 02:13 PM
 
2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Reputation: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
1) It's not a stereotype if it's true. I've worked with them. Plural.

2) I think you are sheltered from some real life situations.
1) Ok I see you, you've worked with plural of them. Totally. Let's just ignore the maths don't work out vis-a-vis any sort of two-income household to even generous state benefits.

2) You have no idea what I've gone through. The arrogance of people when called out on racist and classist tropes is so absolutely vile it's almost unthinkable. Since I live in the world that you're opining on in utter disregard of anything resembling real life *I* must be the sheltered one. Get over yourself, and take a hard look in the mirror. What I've been through I wouldn't want my worst enemy to go through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2023, 02:34 PM
 
6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Reputation: 7999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
1) Ok I see you, you've worked with plural of them. Totally. Let's just ignore the maths don't work out vis-a-vis any sort of two-income household to even generous state benefits.

2) You have no idea what I've gone through. The arrogance of people when called out on racist and classist tropes is so absolutely vile it's almost unthinkable. Since I live in the world that you're opining on in utter disregard of anything resembling real life *I* must be the sheltered one. Get over yourself, and take a hard look in the mirror. What I've been through I wouldn't want my worst enemy to go through.
Oh honey don't think you're the only one that has ever "been through" bad stuff. Many of us have been.

I didn't mention a thing about race. It's not a specific race thing, it's across all races including white. The first time I witnessed this was with white girls I worked with. So go ahead and call that racist. I'm white too and was apparently sheltered myself as I had never heard of such a thing. And now I've seen it over and over through the years - it was not an isolated incident.

Maybe you should talk to an apartment manager where there are Section 8 tenants. I can promise you they have stories to tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2023, 03:44 PM
 
3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Reputation: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I mean you talk about scaring off golden gooses but home grown and incoming employers is what really gives CT it's economic dynamism. As Bob posted a lot more good companies with good jobs want inside the urban spine of CT... the insane housing costs would make recruitment and retention difficult so they look elsewhere. There has to be a healthy amount of growth to plant the seeds of trees we will never see.

Thinking that our past strengths will always carry through is probably the biggest mistake that the big cities in the state made... Bridgeport based it's future on manufacturing as a mass employer and tax payer would come back. The world changed, and adaption to current and near future trends is critical.



Again, you're making that judgement call in the face of polling. I'm not saying become Houston... but we can't keep doing what we're doing.



If you took every human and humanoid ancestor that had ever lived they would fit on the Isle of Man. Congestion is caused by cars and car dependence and it's time to start to gear infrastructure to reasonably manage the future. There's really no way around it. The average SFH has an average of 9.4 trips per day in CT... and 75% of those trips are under 3 miles. That's the cause of traffic congestion. Full stop.

There's a reason why the walkable areas are getting a premium of almost 20% compared to non-walkable.



I'm for a huge variety of housing... I know many families that grew up comfortably in a duplex (mostly their parent's owned it and rented out the other half). And while apartments are very needed in our state, I'm not for only apartments... You are with a refusal to build anything less than mansions in sfh zoned areas.



Isn't the whole point yours to sell the house at maximum price?

So if you bought your house and it took up 25% of monthly income and someone needs to spend upwards of 30% of monthly income because of artificially restrained supply that is syphoning.



Overly strong zoning codes have shown to be extremely risky for everyone, just in different stages and different intensities until it gets everyone.

Why should I keep on providing sources when you misread them because they don't fit your narrative. I mean dude, you claimed that suburban sprawl was somehow better for the environment. That's... mindblowing.

How about this, do your research and find out why I said it... it didn't come out of nowhere.
Beeker - if short trips are the full stop cause of our traffic why are the interstates and parkway the most congested roads? It’s hard to take you seriously with statements like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2023, 03:45 PM
 
3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Reputation: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Beeker2211, I was the one with the "Golden Goose" reference.

There is a lot in your post but let's take a look at the housing cost burden. I think that with the minimum wage at $14 right now and going to $15 CT probably isn't in the top 10 now. I found this link.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...ts-burden.html


For the most Cost burdened CT is not on any of the "worst Lists" on the link.

There is a map in the link where you can see on average what % each county pays of thier salary for housing. This is from the US Census so this should be correct, or close to correct.

Fairfield County..........32.2%
Litchfield County.........29.6%
New Haven County......30.7%
Hartford County..........30.6%
Middlesex County........30.4%
Tolland County............29.6%
New London County.....28.7
Windham County.........30.1%

Look at that, all of CT is pretty equal. I would have thought Fairfield County would be much higher. This will only get better when the minimum wage goes to $15 and then it is tied to inflation to raise.

The above is a testament to how good CT is to our poorer residents.

Look at this link. From 2010 to 2020 the CT population only grew by .5%.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/CT


So Beeker2211, why don't we just concentrate on the CURRENT law of putting 10% affordable housing in the suburban towns instead of social engineering something that really doesn't need to be done by the "Fair Shair" of some towns having more than 10% and even up to 20%.
Wow 0.5% population growth in 10 years? I fail to see the need for more density unless we want to gut our cities even further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2023, 07:03 PM
 
2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Reputation: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Wow 0.5% population growth in 10 years? I fail to see the need for more density unless we want to gut our cities even further.
Didn't something like 75% of CT municipalities lose population and had lower Grand List returns right before COVID (2020 Census)? Which means the growing areas are limited, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2023, 07:19 PM
 
2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Reputation: 1374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Beeker - if short trips are the full stop cause of our traffic why are the interstates and parkway the most congested roads? It’s hard to take you seriously with statements like that
Isn't traffic congestion on parkways and freeways an issue in every metropolitan and micropolitan area? Wasn't the concern local congestion? Now we have protect existing car commute times? Just never ends.

Last edited by Beeker2211; 03-02-2023 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2023, 07:35 PM
 
2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Reputation: 1374
And, Wilton, don't you agree that if people were closer to job centers there'd be less need to use those types of roads for commutes? And furthermore doesn't it sound that the over-reliance on automobiles for commuting is a snake that constantly eats it tail and therefore having more work, living, and shopping closer would alleviate highway congestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2023, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Fairfield County CT
4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Reputation: 2779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Wow 0.5% population growth in 10 years? I fail to see the need for more density unless we want to gut our cities even further.
I made a mistake.....my bad.

CT population in 2010..........3,574,097
CT population in 2020..........3,605,944
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/CT

In 10 years the population grew by 31,847. That is about .85%. Still very low.

The CT population grew less than 1% in 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top