U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 08:45 PM

127 posts, read 37,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Cut taxes? If I’m not mistaken, New Britain has the highest mill rate in CT. And who exactly should pay for a increase in school funding? There are so many elderly in NB on fixed income who can barely afford to keep their homes due to high taxes and home insurance. The last thing they need is higher taxes.
You are mistaken.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Well perhaps the stimulus money will help....
Look money in an of itself doesn't guarantee anything....
Kids in India, Poland, China are kicking our buts in school.
Graduating engineers, doctors from schools that have less resources and money than here.

Lastly Berkeley is quite biased.....
Biased? How is their methodology flawed? I’m a happy to see other evidence.

I’m sensing this is an emotional, ideological, political, argument. The data support funding schools to better outcomes. Seemingly people don’t want to believe it.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:32 PM

3,157 posts, read 1,721,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Well perhaps the stimulus money will help....
Look money in an of itself doesn't guarantee anything....
Kids in India, Poland, China are kicking our buts in school.
Graduating engineers, doctors from schools that have less resources and money than here.
Everything is relative. We graduate lots of doctors and lawyers too to just not in EVERY school system/district. China, India and Poland all have wealthy, middle class, working class and poor too.

If China is cleaning our clock in all metrics why don't they have a higher per capita income?
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD
US per capita income $65, 275
China per capita income $10,216
Poland Per Capita Income $15,692
India Per Capita Income: $2,100 (I had to do a double take on that one)

Even the average person in New Britain makes more money ($26,000) than the average person in China, India and Poland.

I have been saying all along in this thread it might be because New Britain has a lot of ESL (English as a Second Language) students and I was right.

"But there were also plenty of detractors who pointed out that New Britain has the second-lowest funding rate for public school students, even though it serves a high percentage of desperately poor families, one-parent homes, recent immigrants, special needs students and English as a Second Language learners."
https://www.courant.com/news/connect...whe-story.html

There you have it. The cost sharing formula needs to be tweaked/fixed to give ESL students more weight.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:41 PM

2,659 posts, read 2,890,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbanks3 View Post
You are mistaken.
Can you explain what is misleading about this? I’m curious.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Everything is relative. We graduate lots of doctors and lawyers too to just not in EVERY school system/district. China, India and Poland all have wealthy, middle class, working class and poor too.

If China is cleaning our clock in all metrics why don't they have a higher per capita income?

Even the average person in New Britain makes more money ($26,000) than the average person in China, India and Poland.

I have been saying all along in this thread it might be because New Britain has a lot of ESL (English as a Second Language) students and I was right.

"But there were also plenty of detractors who pointed out that New Britain has the second-lowest funding rate for public school students, even though it serves a high percentage of desperately poor families, one-parent homes, recent immigrants, special needs students and English as a Second Language learners."

There you have it. The cost sharing formula needs to be tweaked/fixed to give ESL students more weight.
Growing up there and going to public school my whole life in NB. I can agree we had a lot of ESL. Spanish but a lot of Polish. We even had a polish parking lot.

But I wouldn’t go as far as saying ESL is the main reason for the below average performance. I know my year our 1 and 2 were both polish ESL. One currently is a doctor the other and engineer. They spoke polish at home and English at school. Excelled at both and made them smarter as you can see from being 1 and 2 in our class.

We had a bunch of Spanish ESL as well that excelled. It made them very marketable to colleges/jobs because they can speak Spanish which I wish learned.

Again, spoke straight Spanish at home and English at school.

Does ESL play a role, yes, a large role, I don’t know. But good point I never actually thought of that.

Old 03-20-2021, 06:19 AM

3,157 posts, read 1,721,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Growing up there and going to public school my whole life in NB. I can agree we had a lot of ESL. Spanish but a lot of Polish. We even had a polish parking lot.

But I wouldn’t go as far as saying ESL is the main reason for the below average performance. I know my year our 1 and 2 were both polish ESL. One currently is a doctor the other and engineer. They spoke polish at home and English at school. Excelled at both and made them smarter as you can see from being 1 and 2 in our class.

We had a bunch of Spanish ESL as well that excelled. It made them very marketable to colleges/jobs because they can speak Spanish which I wish learned.

Again, spoke straight Spanish at home and English at school.

Does ESL play a role, yes, a large role, I don’t know. But good point I never actually thought of that.
When did you graduate high school? The minority population is changing fast. I am sure a lot of white people in New Britain probably don't have kids in the schools and I surmise the school population is probably weighted more toward minorities now. There is most likely a larger proportion of ESL students now.

According to City-Data Hispanic is the largest population in New Britain now at 46.5%. The schools are probably well over 50% Hispanic. This is the first time I ever remember looking up a demographic and seeing such a large population of Hispanics in a CT town (or is New Britain a city?)
//www.city-data.com/city/New-Br...nnecticut.html

This is probably a good thing for New Britain. The Education Cost Sharing Formula is probably outdated to be sure and with the influx of Hispanic populations. The ESL portion probably needs to be weighted more heavily as I keep saying. The state needs to take a good look at this formula.

Last edited by CTartist; 03-20-2021 at 06:45 AM..

Old 03-20-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Can you explain what is misleading about this? I’m curious.
NB does not have highest mill rate in the state. It’s not really close to the top (Hartford) either, though I’m not suggesting it be raised.

I do understand that dumping money doesn’t solve problems. NB and cities have unique issues to wealthy suburbs. However NB is second lowest in spending per pupil in their school system. Erin Stewart is going to have to answer for that, too, since she is of course the mayor, and their schools are highly underperforming while being allocated less resources that their neighbors.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
When did you graduate high school? The minority population is changing fast. I am sure a lot of white people in New Britain probably don't have kids in the schools and I surmise the school population is probably weighted more toward minorities now. There is most likely a larger proportion of ESL students now.

According to City-Data Hispanic is the largest population in New Britain now at 46.5%. The schools are probably well over 50% Hispanic. This is the first time I ever remember looking up a demographic and seeing such a large population of Hispanics in a CT town (or is New Britain a city?)
http:////www.city-data.com/city/New-...nnecticut.html

This is probably a good thing for New Britain. The Education Cost Sharing Formula is probably outdated to be sure and with the influx of Hispanic populations. The ESL portion probably needs to be weighted more heavily as I keep saying. The state needs to take a good look at this formula.

It was probably around the same at the time I went to school (minority population). From what I remember white, non Hispanic where the minority. Which some of that number included polish ESL.

In reality, I loved growing up there. I wear it as a badge of honor, but I’m glad I don’t live there anymore...if that makes sense, esp because I have a 3 year old.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:39 PM

1,072 posts, read 430,235 times
Quote:

As you said, it's all relative....
You do realize comparing US wages to other countries is apples and oranges?
Wages and COL in these countries is vastly different than here.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:49 PM

1,072 posts, read 430,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbanks3 View Post
Biased? How is their methodology flawed? I’m a happy to see other evidence.

I’m sensing this is an emotional, ideological, political, argument. The data support funding schools to better outcomes. Seemingly people don’t want to believe it.
Berkeley in Cali is definitely a very liberal, left wing school.

Money doesn't guarantee a result. The big problem in the cities is broken families and the continuation down the path of bad choices from learned behaviors.
The Mayor inherited this problem and hopefully can make some positive changes. But fighting social problems with dollars they don't have is a tough one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut