Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 07:05 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am confused. How is this “cherry picking”? I give you actual proof repeatedly and you continue to disagree? Are you saying that the homes n Needham and Glastonbury are comparable? Are you saying the taxes listed in these listings are not correct? Are you saying that neither Greenwich or Darien are comparable?

Please post data to prove me wrong. I gave you facts, it’s now your turn. Jay
You gave me listings from Zillow. I gave you a statistic from a 2021 ranking that showed MA has lower property taxes using actual numbers. Again, we are not going to agree on this so we will have to let it be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 07:26 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
Taxes need to be below 2.5% of total taxable property. This is the same as 25 mills. Look at the mill rates of towns and cities in MA. They are all below 25. Most are below 20. The differences are especially apparent when comparing MA cities to CT cities. Huge difference between the capital city of CT and the Capital city of MA.

Keep in mind that when comparing the tax burden of two places we are not just talking about residential homes. Are things are taxable like cars and business property.

https://patch.com/massachusetts/bost...ma-communities

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_M...sition_2%C2%BD
We were not talking about business or car taxes though. The comment was made about residential homes in specific towns. As I showed comparable homes in comparable towns have taxes that are about the same. That’s all I’m saying.

Even car taxes aren’t necessarily higher depending on the town. We previously had that discussion and in some cases Connecticut had lower car taxes. Jay

Old 04-12-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You gave me listings from Zillow. I gave you a statistic from a 2021 ranking that showed MA has lower property taxes using actual numbers. Again, we are not going to agree on this so we will have to let it be.
What statistics did you give? You just made a blanket statement.

It is hard to compare taxes across an entire state to another state but from what I’ve seen and posted on in this forum, it is not true when you compare comparable homes in comparable communities. I’ve given many examples. And it isn’t just this time. I’ve made comparisons of taxes on actual houses in at least six or seven states that show the exact same thing. If what you claim was true, I would not be able to do that.

Please note that I am not saying property taxes in Connecticut are low but they aren’t nearly as bad as often claimed when you look at similar communities. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 04-12-2021 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Clarified last sentence

Old 04-13-2021, 08:16 PM

6,901 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Please note that I am not saying property taxes in Connecticut are low but they aren’t nearly as bad as often claimed when you look at similar communities. Jay
For high end affluent communities, who cares, what's another 5k here vs there. So what. That's an administrative fee. TSLA was up $60 today. That just paid someone's taxes for the year, and then some. The Greenwich and Newton personnel won't go hungry.
A few thousand+ annually for the 3-400Ks crowd, a large sect of CT, could be a game changer though. It adds up and with fixed income, forget it. A big pill to swallow. That's why you start mulling over the Carolinas for retirement. Avon and Glastonbury mill amounts, among others, should be taken seriously, not glossed over.

Last edited by SteveM85; 04-13-2021 at 08:25 PM..

Old 04-14-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
For high end affluent communities, who cares, what's another 5k here vs there. So what. That's an administrative fee. TSLA was up $60 today. That just paid someone's taxes for the year, and then some. The Greenwich and Newton personnel won't go hungry.
A few thousand+ annually for the 3-400Ks crowd, a large sect of CT, could be a game changer though. It adds up and with fixed income, forget it. A big pill to swallow. That's why you start mulling over the Carolinas for retirement. Avon and Glastonbury mill amounts, among others, should be taken seriously, not glossed over.
Yes but middle class people don’t retire to affluent suburbs of major cities with good schools and amenities. Those retirement communities tend to be located in unincorporated areas or in areas with lots of other retirement communities so they don’t have the same tax burden. Connecticut doesn’t really have that.

Once again though, mill rates mean little because it is only one part of the tax equation. That’s why I ALWAYS go to actual taxes paid on a home. Tax wise I don’t see much difference in the taxes on comparable homes in each town. Avon May be slightly higher but not necessarily higher enough to make a difference. Jay

Old 04-15-2021, 07:34 AM

276 posts, read 145,149 times
Quote:
We were not talking about business or car taxes though. The comment was made about residential homes in specific towns. As I showed comparable homes in comparable towns have taxes that are about the same. That’s all I’m saying.

Even car taxes aren’t necessarily higher depending on the town. We previously had that discussion and in some cases Connecticut had lower car taxes. Jay
I was the first to bring up taxes on this thread before there was talk about residential homes in specific towns. You turned the tax talk to be all about homes. So I thought it is important to remind that taxes go beyond just residential property.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
I was the first to bring up taxes on this thread before there was talk about residential homes in specific towns. You turned the tax talk to be all about homes. So I thought it is important to remind that taxes go beyond just residential property.
The poster that started this thread is asking about Avon verses Glastonbury because they are considering buying a home in one of them. They did not ask about anything beyond that. Discussing business and other taxes is therefore off topic. None of this changes the facts I gave or negates what I said. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 04-15-2021 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-15-2021, 10:38 AM

512 posts, read 351,857 times
I am no moderator but y'all have veered way off topic!

OP: if you are still out there, let us know where you end up choosing and why, assuming enough housing inventory loosens up. It seems like listings are still few and far between.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:43 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
I am no moderator but y'all have veered way off topic!

OP: if you are still out there, let us know where you end up choosing and why, assuming enough housing inventory loosens up. It seems like listings are still few and far between.
+1. That’s exactly why I’m not contributing to the debate any longer. I’ve stated my opinion(s).

Old 04-15-2021, 10:51 AM

276 posts, read 145,149 times
Quote:
The poster that started this thread is asking about Avon verses Glastonbury because they are considering buying a home in one of them. They did not ask about anything beyond that. Discussing business and other htaxes is therefore off topic. None of this changes the facts I gave or negates what I said. Jay
The OP has not mentioned anywhere in this thread that they were planning to buy a home. They might be but it was not said. Not sure where you are getting that. They asked for thoughts between the two areas. I said to consider the taxes. We do not know the full situation of the OP. Don't know their personal property situation, don't know if they have business property, vehicles, and if planning to own real estate. You have been focusing on residential property. That's fine and something OP may want to be aware about. But just as well don't fault me for bringing up the tax implications in other areas as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut