U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 02:46 PM

17 posts, read 16,746 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my family and I are considering moving to Ct. We lived in West Hartford several years ago and have since moved to the Boston suburbs. We are thinking of heading back and are debating between Avon and Glastonbury. Any thoughts, suggestions and opinions you have of either would be very appreciated! We have three little kids and are looking for not only great schools, but a community of nice people and easily accessible amenities! Thank you so much!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 04:47 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,898,967 times
Two of my favorite towns in CT. I say Avon my wife says Glastonbury (because she grew up there). Can’t go wrong with either. Avon is more of a logistical nightmare in terms of getting there.

Two great towns!

Old 04-03-2021, 05:33 AM

17 posts, read 16,746 times
Thank you so much! Glad to know both are great! I’m a little worried about the logistics of getting in and out of Avon since my husband may have to commute to Boston a couple of days a week.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:03 AM

223 posts, read 98,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMassResident View Post
Thank you so much! Glad to know both are great! I’m a little worried about the logistics of getting in and out of Avon since my husband may have to commute to Boston a couple of days a week.
I hope for his sake and your families sake a couple days is truly capped at 2x/week MAX. Commuting to Boston twice week after week is going to get old really quick. Traffic even now, let alone post covid, won’t be pretty

Old 04-03-2021, 06:35 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,886,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMassResident View Post
That would be easier to do from Glastonbury.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:42 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,106,308 times
Depending on the amount of time he wants to spend driving, he may want to consider taking the train from Worcester. I did that for a while driving up 395 (instead of 84). Enjoyed having the hour train ride to get a head start on work and avoid traffic. However, it may be that traffic is much improved post-covid especially with the tollbooths having been removed on the Pike. Either way, train is a nice option.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:42 AM

33 posts, read 11,724 times
Out of curiosity, why moving from Mass to CT?

Old 04-03-2021, 11:27 AM

18,975 posts, read 25,711,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
Out of curiosity, why moving from Mass to CT?
That’s what I was wondering too. If they have to be in Boston twice a week, why move several hours out?

Old 04-03-2021, 12:17 PM

266 posts, read 103,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
That would be easier to do from Glastonbury.
Agreed. Both are great towns, but Avon is the loser when it comes to Boston access or highway access in general.

Old 04-03-2021, 02:46 PM

29,825 posts, read 46,935,209 times
As others have noted both Glastonbury and Avon are great communities. They are among the most desirable in greater Hartford with excellent schools and a lot of things for families to do. As was also noted, Glastonbury is more accessible since Avon is in the highwayless Farmington River Valley.

In addition you should realize that Glastonbury is a bigger and more diverse town. Glastonbury has about 33,000 residents while Avon has about 18,000. Because of this, Glastonbury High School is about twice as big as Avon High School (over 2,000 students verses under 1,000 students). Glastonbury has a much wider range of housing stock with everything from modest public housing apartments to large mansions while Avon tends to have more larger and more expensive homes. This means Avon is more affluent in general.

I do know one family that moved from Glastonbury to Avon. The family was very well off and they decided to send their kids to private schools in West Hartford. The families they met and became friends with were mostly from the West Hartford/Farmington River Valley so they ended up moving there. They liked it but interestly their son began dating a Glastonbury girl and spends most of his time here now.

I would suggest you visit both towns to see which suits your family best. Good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut