Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 06:12 AM

717 posts, read 459,198 times

Advertisements

As a leading edge in global trade and manufacturing looking where most goods are produced and custom imports, no state in the US has taken the lead on language literacy with our largest goods trading partner like it or leave it.

If 30 years from now we had a Connecticut grouping of Americans who can understand directly the dynamic in China in the native tongue we would have an advantage putting our state in a place unmatched in the US what do you all think of this idea?

On this advantage alone, a lot of customized product import retail would choose Connecticut towns to place their operations. On another note it would be a way of reducing anti-Chinese and anti-Asian discrimination by humanizing the Chinese language as a first-hand familiarity for a new generation of Connecticut residents who don’t have to be one grouping to speak the language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 06:26 AM

5,990 posts, read 6,842,265 times
Some of them already do.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:18 AM

11,366 posts, read 19,051,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Some of them already do.

In Stamford, Rogers International School teaches it at all grade levels up to 8th grade (even Kindergarten). AITE high school in that same city does as well. I believe Danbury High School and Westside Middle School in Danbury do too.

However, I know someone who is a Chinese teacher in one of those CT schools and after the pandemic they cut her job (they had 2 teachers of Chinese and kept 1). While she very easily got her job when she first became certified over a decade ago (as few programs as they are it's actually hard to find someone to teach Chinese) she did not find a new job and switched to teaching math as she had dual certification in that.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:06 PM

2,857 posts, read 10,475,579 times
My child's high school teaches chinese already. Many high schools offer it.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:24 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,205,935 times
Spanish makes more sense.....
Much more opportunities for using it daily. Remember all the calculus and Physics you took back in the day!? Yeah neither do I......Use it or lose it. It's also much harder to learn than Spanish.

Take a language to fight off discrimination? How many languages do you expect us to learn!?

If your referencing the recent media induced flavor of the month suggest you read between the lines

Old 04-10-2021, 11:33 PM

21,783 posts, read 31,494,768 times
Chinese is offered in some CT high schools, but it has [anecdotally] dwindled. In the US, if students want to get ahead by learning any additional language, it’s Spanish.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:16 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,883,012 times
Spanish would be far more beneficial, plus its easier to learn for English speakers.

When I was in high school in New Britain they offered, spanish, french, italian, polish, and russian. I doubt they still have all of those.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:06 AM

11,366 posts, read 19,051,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Spanish would be far more beneficial, plus its easier to learn for English speakers.

When I was in high school in New Britain they offered, spanish, french, italian, polish, and russian. I doubt they still have all of those.

I agree but almost every middle and high school offers Spanish (and by the way I took Spanish from 7th to 9th grade and actually did forget most of it, but as a "brain exercise" I'm relearning it through the DuoLingo app and I do have to say having learned it before helps).

My HS in the 80s offered Spanish, French and Italian. My aunt (by marriage, uncle was my dad's younger brother) was an early post-WW II Soviet emigre and taught Russian in a hs in Los Angeles from the 1950s through the 80s (she retired in 1988)

Old 04-16-2021, 11:59 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,729,776 times
I have some very strong opinions on this, but its probably best I do not share them as I believe it might get me into trouble on this forum.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:02 AM

7,955 posts, read 7,902,002 times
Manufacturing is about machines, not people. I've toured factories in China and nothing is hand made. The cost isn't that much lower when you factor in translation, foreign, interest rates, time zones, holidays etc. I've dealt with Chinese oems as a side hobby and took mandarin in higher ed. There are many languages in China and not all speak mandarin.

Look at the rail factory in Springfield. CRRC has been around for years. We'll to out it mildly it sucks. They have a high turnover rate and people don't last a year (admin jobs) knowing Chinese isn't going to help you. Guan I is much more than language. Ideanomics didn't work in west Hartford because of this.

https://asialinkbusiness.com.au/chin...xi?doNothing=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut