Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 11:58 AM

21,735 posts, read 31,433,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrod7169 View Post
I would look into Cheshire.
I have always liked Cheshire and felt it was very underrated on this forum, but in this case, I’m not sure I’d suggest it. It’s not a very walkable community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 12:35 PM

4,526 posts, read 3,428,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeCheesecake View Post
Well as the title says, we are moving from Boston to CT. Starting job in New Haven, looking for a place to raise a family, reasonable commute time (25 min or so), good schools, coffee shops, restaurants. Would prefer a neighborhood feel (somewhere with sidewalks and the sort...). Any ideas?

I have thought about Guilford, Madison. Orange and Woodbridge seem very woodsy for us. North Haven? Wallingford? Other thoughts?...

Also any opinions on maybe renting first just to get a feel and maybe buying later?
Not sure what to do... oh decisions decisions decisions...
"Would prefer a neighborhood feel (somewhere with sidewalks and the sort...)"

Go take a look at Woodmont in Milford and Stony Creek in Branford. Both are near the beach and have a nice community feel. Both towns are nice and seem what you many be looking for. The little downtown areas of both towns are probably most walkable and also a nice vibe of all the towns you have listed.

Guilford and Madison have nice walkable downtowns too and the schools are excellent. I am looking at Branford, Guilford and Madison for retirement and want a nice community vibe too.....plus beaches.

I am not sure what your budget it but since you are coming from Boston I assume you should not have a problem getting into any of the towns you mentioned and Branford/Milford.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:40 PM

21,959 posts, read 28,399,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Go take a look at Woodmont in Milford and Stony Creek in Branford.
Great neighborhoods. Really anywhere on the coast in either town fit what they're looking for. Woodmont, Gulf St/Gulf Beach, and Trumbull Ave areas are among my favs in Milford. The Indian Neck area of Branford is really nice too.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Great neighborhoods. Really anywhere on the coast in either town fit what they're looking for. Woodmont, Gulf St/Gulf Beach, and Trumbull Ave areas are among my favs in Milford. The Indian Neck area of Branford is really nice too.
Agree. Having lived near Stony Creek, it’s an amazing little village that’s typical New England. It doesn’t have much in the way of coffee shops and restaurants, and there are really no sidewalks in the surrounding neighborhoods walkable to Thimble Islands Road. Downtown Branford would be better if they’re looking for bigger, but Stony Creek can’t be beat for seaside quaintness.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:15 PM

21,959 posts, read 28,399,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Agree. Having lived near Stony Creek, it’s an amazing little village that’s typical New England. It doesn’t have much in the way of coffee shops and restaurants, and there are really no sidewalks in the surrounding neighborhoods walkable to Thimble Islands Road. Downtown Branford would be better if they’re looking for bigger, but Stony Creek can’t be beat for seaside quaintness.
Yeah. They are tough neighborhoods to find real estate, but all around Branford and Milford downtowns are great.

In Milford, it's unique as some of the best neighborhoods are walkable to downtown. In many CT towns, the best neighborhoods tend to not be near walkable areas.

South of the Green area down to Fort Trumbull, up into the duck pond areas, and Gulf St are standouts you can walk to coffee, restaurants, parks, train station, etc.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yeah. They are tough neighborhoods to find real estate, but all around Branford and Milford downtowns are great.

In Milford, it's unique as some of the best neighborhoods are walkable to downtown. In many CT towns, the best neighborhoods tend to not be near walkable areas.

South of the Green area down to Fort Trumbull, up into the duck pond areas, and Gulf St are standouts you can walk to coffee, restaurants, parks, train station, etc.
I’d say Milford has the best in terms of real estate walkable to things to do. Branford is a close second. Wallingford is also an option, which I always forget about.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:39 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,058,574 times
Just chiming in to agree with others - Milford would be my first choice, followed by Branford and Wallingford.

Certain neighborhoods in Cheshire have that kind of walkability, but in general it’s much quieter and more spread out.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:39 PM

6,761 posts, read 6,797,719 times
The problem around Greater New Haven is that more woods equals better schools. Guilford/Madison close to the town centers might be the best compromise, maybe parts of Orange.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:52 AM

877 posts, read 534,126 times
I was just back in my old town of Old Saybrook and thought about this thread. A lot of the town is very walkable and connected by sidewalks. From where I grew up, I walked to all three schools, restaurants, shops downtown. I would walk to work at Stop & Shop. It's a bit further, but it's still commutable to New Haven. I agree renting is the right move to start, but you might want to take a look at Old Saybrook.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:06 PM

31 posts, read 19,906 times
Consider Wallingford. It has the charm of a great New England community with easy access to major metropolitan areas (New Haven, Hartford, Stamford, and NYC); the town offers great access via two interstates and a commuter rail line. Great public and private schools (esteemed Choate Rosemary Hall located right in town) with a wide array of amenities all make Wallingford an attractive place to live and raise a family. The real estate is well priced with a wide variety of small, medium, and large to estate-sized homes. The mill rate is low relative to most of Connecticut and the town has its own electric company. The East Side of town is more developed with many beautiful estates that overlook the vineyards and countryside and offer beautiful, breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape. The crime rate is low and the town boasts many outdoor spaces that are well maintained.

Last edited by MR09; 06-09-2021 at 07:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut