Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 09:58 AM

334 posts, read 265,508 times

Advertisements

Jay:
I just got off the phone with Yale’s adult joint reconstruction department and was informed that none of their surgeons are using robotic assisted surgeries at the moment but may in the future.

I’m sure Yale New Haven is excellent in many specialties, including joint reconstruction, but I’m leaning toward choosing a provider hospital that offers this cutting edge technology.

I scheduled an evaluation here at UPMC with the surgeon who is using robotic assisted knee replacement.(UPMC Shadyside is nationally ranked). I was happy to hear he did the knee replacement on my prior surgeon who retired. This surgeon worked under my prior dr. for some time and was the surgeon my prior doctor referred patients to when he left. Since my previous surgeon was highly regarded here, I really have to respect his own choice of a surgeon for his own knee replacement. What better recommendation is that?

If this surgeon doesn’t work out, then I’ll look at Cleveland Clinic (which is in-network for me and within driving distance) or schedule an evaluation at HSS.

Thanks for your help, Jay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 10:01 AM

You’re right—UPMC ortho doctors are excellent. I was hoping to leave here sooner rather than later, but perhaps the best option is right in my own backyard.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:05 AM

35,060 posts, read 57,161,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPatty View Post
Jay:
I just got off the phone with Yale’s adult joint reconstruction department and was informed that none of their surgeons are using robotic assisted surgeries at the moment but may in the future.

I’m sure Yale New Haven is excellent in many specialties, including joint reconstruction, but I’m leaning toward choosing a provider hospital that offers this cutting edge technology.

I scheduled an evaluation here at UPMC with the surgeon who is using robotic assisted knee replacement.(UPMC Shadyside is nationally ranked). I was happy to hear he did the knee replacement on my prior surgeon who retired. This surgeon worked under my prior dr. for some time and was the surgeon my prior doctor referred patients to when he left. Since my previous surgeon was highly regarded here, I really have to respect his own choice of a surgeon for his own knee replacement. What better recommendation is that?

If this surgeon doesn’t work out, then I’ll look at Cleveland Clinic (which is in-network for me and within driving distance) or schedule an evaluation at HSS.

Thanks for your help, Jay!
That’s your decision but I would not let “cutting edge” technology use override reputation. UPMC May be a good hospital but it’s not nationally ranked like Yale New Haven is. Cleveland Clinic however is the No. 2 hospital in the country. It ranks No. 9 for Orthopedics. That’s impressive. Good luck with your decision and your surgery. Jay

Old 05-05-2021, 12:05 PM

Thanks, Jay.
You're right about Cleveland Clinic and that's been one of my top choices--mainly because of the rankings you mentioned and proximity to Pittsburgh and it is "in-network" for me.

I called the department and a group of their surgeons have been doing robotic assisted knee replacement since 2016 (UPMC only since 2020 and just one surgeon does them).
The head of their joint replacement division has the most experience with them at Cleveland Clinic. His team is highly thought of and he has published numerous articles on this procedure.
I think I will make an appointment with him as well as the UPMC doctor and then decide.

I've been to Cleveland Clinic for a second opinion for my breast cancer treatment and its very impressive. Although I ended up getting treatment at UPMC at the time--this surgery might be best done there. Plus Cleveland Clinic has extended stay facilities for patients and patient families so I could potentially stay there for short term PT, nursing support, food service, etc. since I live on my own. It's an interesting option.

Thanks, again!

Old 05-05-2021, 12:46 PM

1,241 posts, read 908,567 times
UPMC is ranked nationally in 19 adult specialties. Yale New Haven is ranked nationally in 9 adult specialties the last I knew. Of relevance to this thread, UPMC is ranked 19 in orthopedics while Yale is 50. UPMC has a solid reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That’s your decision but I would not let “cutting edge” technology use override reputation. UPMC May be a good hospital but it’s not nationally ranked like Yale New Haven is. Cleveland Clinic however is the No. 2 hospital in the country. It ranks No. 9 for Orthopedics. That’s impressive. Good luck with your decision and your surgery. Jay

Old 05-05-2021, 01:31 PM

2,710 posts, read 3,397,790 times
Had mine done December 7th, if it weren't for my Back issue holding back my PT, I'd be doing much better. I had mine done at the surgical center that my Surgeon works out of in Danbury. I did have the option of the Hospital, didn't see the need for all that. Best of luck on your surgery and quick recovery.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
UPMC is ranked nationally in 19 adult specialties. Yale New Haven is ranked nationally in 9 adult specialties the last I knew. Of relevance to this thread, UPMC is ranked 19 in orthopedics while Yale is 50. UPMC has a solid reputation.
I never said UPMC does not have a solid reputation but it is not on the current US News Honor Roll. Neither is Yale but it was on it last year. There are only 16 adult specialities in US News & World Report’s ranking. UPMC Presbyterian, their flagship hospital is ranked highly in 11 of them. Yale ranked highly in 9. That’s still very impressive. Jay

https://health.usnews.com/health-car...l-and-overview

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospi...center-6230029

Old 05-05-2021, 08:21 PM

1,241 posts, read 908,567 times
You are correct, I was typing from my phone and put 19 instead of 11. You didn’t say UPMC doesn’t have a good reputation but you said “UPMC May be a good hospital but it’s not nationally ranked like Yale New Haven is.” As you stated yourself it is ranked nationally in many specialties. Also it is not currently on the Honor Roll but was for at least 15 years. And it is very well known for orthopedics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I never said UPMC does not have a solid reputation but it is not on the current US News Honor Roll. Neither is Yale but it was on it last year. There are only 16 adult specialities in US News & World Report’s ranking. UPMC Presbyterian, their flagship hospital is ranked highly in 11 of them. Yale ranked highly in 9. That’s still very impressive. Jay

https://health.usnews.com/health-car...l-and-overview

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospi...center-6230029

Old 05-06-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
You are correct, I was typing from my phone and put 19 instead of 11. You didn’t say UPMC doesn’t have a good reputation but you said “UPMC May be a good hospital but it’s not nationally ranked like Yale New Haven is.” As you stated yourself it is ranked nationally in many specialties. Also it is not currently on the Honor Roll but was for at least 15 years. And it is very well known for orthopedics.
My bad for originally confusing the terms used. UPMC is nationally ranked in 11 areas but s not on the Honor Roll this year. I do not know how many times it’s been on it. I just know that Yale New Haven was on the Honor Roll last year. Either way that is impressive enough to make me consider it for procedures the OP is considering. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut