U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2021, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,498 posts, read 15,697,573 times
Reputation: 7748

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
FDR set it up at 25 cents/hour, equal to $4.74 today. Our 2021 MW is more than 150% as high as FDR's quarter, adjusted for inflation. So in keeping with your logic, the MW should be cut to $4.74, to abide by FDR's wishes.

$1 then = $18.94 now.


https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inf...01%2C778.56%25.

https://www.dol.gov/general/aboutdol/history/flsa1938
FDR specifically said that it was meant to be a living wage and that NO business which doesn't pay at least a living wage should have any business continuing in this country.

Regardless of what FDR said, no one should be paid so low that they (a) can't survive or (b) need government assistance to survive.

The free market is a farce and there's absolutely no mathematical reason why all American's can't be paid at least a living wage. The only reason why it's stuck at $7.25 to this day is because of corporatists and capitalists who have lobbied against it tooth and nail to boost their own profits.

65% of Americans agree that it should be raised to at least $15 an hour. Personally, I think it should be $17 an hour. And also increase the top income tax rates to at least 50%. Tax all capital gains at the ordinary rates. Mandatory overtime pay even for salaried employees nationwide. And federally required 4 weeks minimum of paid vacation time. Reduce the standard work week from 40 hours to 28 hours (Germany is moving in this direction). This is all doable. It's simply a reconfiguration of the whole existing formula.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2021, 10:59 PM
 
25,545 posts, read 10,489,041 times
Reputation: 12895
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
FDR specifically said that it was meant to be a living wage and that NO business which doesn't pay at least a living wage should have any business continuing in this country.

.
LOL. $11 a week (for 44 hrs, btw, and it was all straight time pay in 1938, no OT laws existed) was 2/3rd what the $290 today would be (40 * 7.25), adjusted for COL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2021, 05:09 AM
 
Location: CT
258 posts, read 117,144 times
Reputation: 430
Jay is gonna come in here and post a “get back on topic” so I’ll say that (1) minimum wage should not be standardized across the entire country. We have too diverse a country with wild differences in cost of living and cost of labor. Rural Nebraska versus San Francisco are not the same and no reason why $15 minimum should be the same across the board. $15 in rural Nebraska you can live, San Fran you barely can either TV assistance.

Back to CT, I think the main keg here is part time jobs should have been included if you do it at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2021, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
30,082 posts, read 47,373,185 times
Reputation: 9350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
FDR set it up at 25 cents/hour, equal to $4.74 today. Our 2021 MW is more than 150% as high as FDR's quarter, adjusted for inflation. So in keeping with your logic, the MW should be cut to $4.74, to abide by FDR's wishes.

$1 then = $18.94 now.


https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inf...01%2C778.56%25.

https://www.dol.gov/general/aboutdol/history/flsa1938
Besides the fact that it was a very different world back then and that amount was an initial amount to begin the standard, you forget that the amount was increased many times over the past 80 plus years. It was raised to $1.60 in 1968 which is almost $12 in today’s money. Given that Congress is so slow in raising the rate, it’s not out of the question that it should go to $15 by 2025 where it will likely remain for years.

Connecticut has always been higher than the national minimum wage. I would expect that to be true with the federal minimum. Jay
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2021, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
30,082 posts, read 47,373,185 times
Reputation: 9350
Please stop the bickering and return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2021, 12:28 PM
 
25,545 posts, read 10,489,041 times
Reputation: 12895
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Besides the fact that it was a very different world back then and that amount was an initial amount to begin the standard, you forget that the amount was increased many times over the past 80 plus years. It was raised to $1.60 in 1968 which is almost $12 in today’s money. Given that Congress is so slow in raising the rate, it’s not out of the question that it should go to $15 by 2025 where it will likely remain for years.

Connecticut has always been higher than the national minimum wage. I would expect that to be true with the federal minimum. Jay
$7.25 is close to the median point of the MW historically adjusted for inflation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2021, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
30,082 posts, read 47,373,185 times
Reputation: 9350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
$7.25 is close to the median point of the MW historically adjusted for inflation.
I’m not sure what your point is. That means nothing. The point is the US minimum wage is insufficient to even come close to live on. It’s past due to be increased. Jay
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2021, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Westchester County, NY
10,186 posts, read 16,340,520 times
Reputation: 4108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Given that Congress is so slow in raising the rate, it’s not out of the question that it should go to $15 by 2025 where it will likely remain for years.

Actually they should make a raise since it hasn't been in 12 years, then going forward raise it every year at the rate of inflation automatically like some state (I believe NJ and WA come to mind) do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Looking forward to September when the $300 ends, and logic returns to decision-making. This $1,000 bribe is simply the latest stupid decision the government made since covid began. We did not overreact with free gifts for the unemployed when the Great Recession struck. People took the corrective actions needed, rebuilding new careers when needed.

This time, we overreacted, and created labor market problems.
When I first joined C-D, it was during the Great Recession and I was often on the Employment forums. I remember the big mantra then was "why are they giving people unemployment for TWO YEARS? Cut it off and make them take any job".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
This nation was stupid enough to pay them to be "on the dole". Requirements of seeking work being ignored or eliminated-should NEVER have occurred

The reason we did all this to begin with is the majority of workplaces had to be CLOSED DOWN and many people who normally would not qualify for U/E were in p/t jobs that couldn't be done on Zoom. It was so people didn't feel forced to risk their lives going to work and prevented virus spread by people feeling forced to go out to work. The issue is how long we dragged it out. It's clear we don't need it now but as recently as last December it wasn't, maybe they should've just done it another 3 or 4 months then revisited whether to renew. We don't need it now, but pulling it after promising it through September will be a political third rail like changing Social Security. So though it seems like a "perverse incentive" the bonus makes sense to get more people off before September. As I said early in this thread, even Trump proposed this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2021, 05:05 PM
 
25,545 posts, read 10,489,041 times
Reputation: 12895
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I’m not sure what your point is. That means nothing. The point is the US minimum wage is insufficient to even come close to live on. It’s past due to be increased. Jay
Its sufficient as it is an entry level wage. If one is still there decades later, w/o having added skills, education, training, that does not modify their value in the marketplace.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2021, 06:14 AM
 
67,463 posts, read 93,706,664 times
Reputation: 14792
This article reminded me of this thread, which I was reading yesterday...

The Myth of Labor Shortages: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/20/b...vid-wages.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top